IGNORED

Huddersfield

E.G.Red

23 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I see the League have announced that Huddersfield face disciplinary action. Trouble is it won't do Forest or Blackburn any good. Probably a fine, should be points.

The story going around on Saturday at Brighton was that there was also a suggestion that they were playing a weakened team because they wanted to avoid Fulham in the semis. If true, that takes it to another level completely. 

Playing a youngster or a fringe player in a game with less pressure is something you might do any game in the season. But not 10 changes. And if it's true that was with one eye on not winning the game then I hope they get the book thrown at them. 

I don't see how Huddersfield can face disciplinary action. As long as they fielded a team of 11 eligible players from their first team squad then what have they done wrong?

Playing your "strongest side" is an entirely subjective matter of opinion. Personally I think if you have a squad of players then it is entirely up to the manager to use them how he wants in the best interests of his club. And if you have done well enough to put yourself in a position where you can afford to rest players, then you have earned the right to do so.

It's a squad game these days. PL clubs frequently make big changes to their teams before or after big European games. Starting 11s vary enormously over the course of a course of a season; it's your own responsibility to ensure your club does enough to avoid relegation without having to rely on other teams picking their best players. If Blackburn go down it will have a lot less to do with Huddersfield and a lot more to do with their numerous defeats over the course of the season.

That said, the Fulham angle is a different matter and no team should actively look to lose.

Whoever gets relegated will do so because they have been poor all season, not because of one game in which Huddersfield made 10 changes in one game!

They played their 'strongest' 11 against us and got battered so wouldn't have guaranteed them a win anyway.

If the rules state they shouldn't have done it then they should be penalised for doing so but other than that they can do what they want and owe nothing to Blackburn or Forest.

17 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I don't see how Huddersfield can face disciplinary action. As long as they fielded a team of 11 eligible players from their first team squad then what have they done wrong?

Playing your "strongest side" is an entirely subjective matter of opinion. Personally I think if you have a squad of players then it is entirely up to the manager to use them how he wants in the best interests of his club. And if you have done well enough to put yourself in a position where you can afford to rest players, then you have earned the right to do so.

It's a squad game these days. PL clubs frequently make big changes to their teams before or after big European games. Starting 11s vary enormously over the course of a course of a season; it's your own responsibility to ensure your club does enough to avoid relegation without having to rely on other teams picking their best players. If Blackburn go down it will have a lot less to do with Huddersfield and a lot more to do with their numerous defeats over the course of the season.

That said, the Fulham angle is a different matter and no team should actively look to lose.

The league are using the "strongest side" requirement.

Always debateable of course! But I guess that if you play a particular 11 players in a match that you need to win in order to be assured of a play off place, and the following week, with all those 11 fit, you choose to make 10 changes, that has to be stretching it to the point where it's no longer debateable.

50 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Whoever gets relegated will do so because they have been poor all season, not because of one game in which Huddersfield made 10 changes in one game!

They played their 'strongest' 11 against us and got battered so wouldn't have guaranteed them a win anyway.

If the rules state they shouldn't have done it then they should be penalised for doing so but other than that they can do what they want and owe nothing to Blackburn or Forest.

Agree it's over a season, but these last few games it's been worse than before, along with Huddersfield's pathetic performance at Brum, Villa's 'piss' poor effort or lack off at Blackburn ( Steve Bruce's own words ) , and Wolves amazing ' who gives a shit' games versus Blackburn and Huddersfield has had big effects on things especially at the bottom, thank goodness we are out of it otherwise we would not be happy either.

1 hour ago, italian dave said:

The league are using the "strongest side" requirement.

Always debateable of course! But I guess that if you play a particular 11 players in a match that you need to win in order to be assured of a play off place, and the following week, with all those 11 fit, you choose to make 10 changes, that has to be stretching it to the point where it's no longer debateable.

Agree it's obvious in reality that they haven't picked their strongest side, I just wonder what technicality that have actually contravened.

15 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Agree it's obvious in reality that they haven't picked their strongest side, I just wonder what technicality that have actually contravened.

I believe that one of the league rules states that clubs must field their strongest possible side, or provide a good reason - or words to that effect. I guess a good reason might be something like a big European game three days later, not sure.

I suppose it would then come down to a "beyond reasonable doubt" judgement, and that's where I think Huddersfield might struggle!

1 hour ago, Cov 77 said:

Agree it's over a season, but these last few games it's been worse than before, along with Huddersfield's pathetic performance at Brum, Villa's 'piss' poor effort or lack off at Blackburn ( Steve Bruce's own words ) , and Wolves amazing ' who gives a shit' games versus Blackburn and Huddersfield has had big effects on things especially at the bottom, thank goodness we are out of it otherwise we would not be happy either.

You have pointed out two games there involving Blackburn where their opposition have nothing to play for and put in little effort. Had they won both of them they would be out of the bottom three, hence why if they go down it's because of their poor results, not Huddersfield. 

I do get the annoyance at the one game but it is grasping at straws. Would Huddersfields have guaranteed winning had they played their starting 11 from the week before?

And you are right, maybe I would look at this differently if we were still in the mix...

We have today written to Huddersfield Town to request their observations in relation to team selection during their recent Sky Bet Championship match with Birmingham City.

As per our regulations, the EFL Executive will refer the matter to the Board if it is deemed appropriate to do so. 

It should be noted, however, that the result of Saturday’s game will stand in all circumstances and any potential action would be taken against Huddersfield Town directly.

1 hour ago, CiderJar said:

We have today written to Huddersfield Town to request their observations in relation to team selection during their recent Sky Bet Championship match with Birmingham City.

As per our regulations, the EFL Executive will refer the matter to the Board if it is deemed appropriate to do so. 

It should be noted, however, that the result of Saturday’s game will stand in all circumstances and any potential action would be taken against Huddersfield Town directly.

Good, personally think it was poor behaviour by Huddersfield with no regard for the integrity of the EFL. Hope they receive a very large fine.

On 2017-4-30 at 17:13, skinner05 said:

I thought you were fairly average too. The early injury rocked us and we never got going. Wiping our players out when they got clear was also an effective tactic thanks to a weak ref

True. 

And you were crap. 

Archived