IGNORED

The season split into three parts, has there been one so extreme before?

Ian M

• Admin

The start:

IMG_0132.PNG

The middle:

IMG_0130.PNG

The finish: (barring Birmingham)

IMG_0131.PNG

I'm not sure I can remember a season where we have sandwiched such a long poor run into two excellent periods of form, certainly not without changing the manager during it. When you look at "The middle" and how long it lasted, it's completely understandable why so many (& I include myself in that number) reached the stage where the only way out of it was for LJ to go. Seems like we were wrong.

I'm still not 100% convinced he's ready for this job and much has been said about how these losing runs seem to follow him round. The thing I am clinging on to though is that at each club he has turned around that losing run eventually. However, in his previous two positions he was then poached by another club so we don't actually know if the turnaround is permanent. We know he's here for the foreseeable now so obviously I hope we are the club he proves that at and 2017/18 sees us leaving out that terrible terrible middle period.

• Admin
Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thanks Ian - interesting to ponder over

Possibly the craziest season I can remember in 40 odd

Ironically Gary J's first (part) season wasn't far off but after that I'm struggling to remember such wings in form

Would like to know what's been going on !!

My recollection is hazy but I think we made a briefly good start the season Baldock signed before going on a run that saw the manager (McInnes?) sacked. Presumably the replacement did well enough to keep us up but not as extreme as this. We have spent almost half a season picking up 2 points a game and just over that barely collecting 0.5 points per game :blink:

Quite simply - that's promotion form over the two periods totalling 20 games , averaging 1.9 points a game

88 points if sustained over a season

and nailed on relegation form for the middle 25  

Equivalent 27 points for the season 

Crazy , seriously crazy

In another era the pitches mid season would have been a part reason - can't say that now !!!

17 minutes ago, Ian M said:

The start:

IMG_0132.PNG

The middle:

IMG_0130.PNG

The finish: (barring Birmingham)

IMG_0131.PNG

I'm not sure I can remember a season where we have sandwiched such a long poor run into two excellent periods of form, certainly not without changing the manager during it. When you look at "The middle" and how long it lasted, it's completely understandable why so many (& I include myself in that number) reached the stage where the only way out of it was for LJ to go. Seems like we were wrong.

I'm still not 100% convinced he's ready for this job and much has been said about how these losing runs seem to follow him round. The thing I am clinging on to though is that at each club he has turned around that losing run eventually. However, in his previous two positions he was then poached by another club so we don't actually know if the turnaround is permanent. We know he's here for the foreseeable now so obviously I hope we are the club he proves that at and 2017/18 sees us leaving out that terrible terrible middle period.

Love that bottom table .

Archived