IGNORED

Back to basics...the 'Preston' route to survival.

cityexile

Was just bored, so thought it was worth looking at the side that started yesterday, and what they cost. Sadly a lot of things nowadays are 'undisclosed' and if people can recall the rumours at the time for how much they were, feel free to add. I do know none of them were big money:

Fielding    Undisc

Bryan        Academy

Flint           £300k

Wright       Undisc

Little          Free

Pack          £100k compensation

Smith         Undisc

Brownhill    Some compensation

Paterson     Undisc

Taylor         £300k

Abraham    Loan

Abraham obviously distorts it, but there is not a huge amount spent on that team, which has performed well. Basically, the core of the promotion team, strengthened in some key areas. All British (I think) and know their way around English football.

All credit to LJ for getting it right in the last quarter of the season, but a key unanswered question is whether he is the right man to spend millions in selecting key players that strengthen us. Hopefully more of the new signings push on over the next season, but one lesson seems to be one step at a time, and foreign players are not simply a magic answer, or spending big bucks.

Interesting to compare with the side that lost to Ipswich in our bad run, Fielding, Little, Flint, Magnusson, Goldbourne, Freeman, Pack, Tomlin, Brownhill, Wilbs, Abraham, or even the team that played our first match: ODonnell, Ayling, Flint, Mags, Bryan, Pack, O'Neil, O'Dowda, Brownhill, Tomlin, Kodjia. Only four of those started our last match. Have to say a key difference is how much more solid and hard working our midfield now looks.

Basically, the end of season has been back to basics. Can LJ sign players 'he can trust'?

15 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

iirc Flint was £400,000. 

Reported as £300k at the time. As said above, O'Driscoll said we'd paid too much (a while after the signing from memory), and I remember thinking that sounded a bad way to motivate your players! 

Just now, formerly known as ivan said:

Thought Fielding was rumoured to be about 200k wasn't he?

Paterson I heard anything between 500k - 1m

Thanks. Pretty sure Wright would not have been a lot either. Whole squad first eleven yesterday cost less than Tomlin. As Villa showed this year, it is not simply about spending a lot.

2 hours ago, cityexile said:

Was just bored, so thought it was worth looking at the side that started yesterday, and what they cost. Sadly a lot of things nowadays are 'undisclosed' and if people can recall the rumours at the time for how much they were, feel free to add. I do know none of them were big money:

Fielding    200k

Bryan        Academy

Flint           £300k

Wright       500k

Little          Free

Pack          £100k compensation

Smith         Liam Kelly + 150k

Brownhill    200k

Paterson     500k

Taylor         £300k

Abraham    Loan

Abraham obviously distorts it, but there is not a huge amount spent on that team, which has performed well. Basically, the core of the promotion team, strengthened in some key areas. All British (I think) and know their way around English football.

All credit to LJ for getting it right in the last quarter of the season, but a key unanswered question is whether he is the right man to spend millions in selecting key players that strengthen us. Hopefully more of the new signings push on over the next season, but one lesson seems to be one step at a time, and foreign players are not simply a magic answer, or spending big bucks.

Interesting to compare with the side that lost to Ipswich in our bad run, Fielding, Little, Flint, Magnusson, Goldbourne, Freeman, Pack, Tomlin, Brownhill, Wilbs, Abraham, or even the team that played our first match: ODonnell, Ayling, Flint, Mags, Bryan, Pack, O'Neil, O'Dowda, Brownhill, Tomlin, Kodjia. Only four of those started our last match. Have to say a key difference is how much more solid and hard working our midfield now looks.

Basically, the end of season has been back to basics. Can LJ sign players 'he can trust'?

Apart from Australias first choice centre back of course

Archived