IGNORED

Bristol City U23 v Crystal Palace U23 Today

Garycpos

Hi All,

Last league game for the lads today is away at Crystal Palace and if they win they should finish 4th which would be a tremendous achievement. Kick off is 1pm.

Cup Final is the 10th May currently, which is their last game so hoping to go out on a high. I also hope a few get a chance to show their talents for the first team, but given the size of the squad I dont know if this will happen but there is a few knocking on the door, and it would be good for the fans to have a look before the season ends ...:)

Thanks to Macca, Bally, Brian Tinnion and all the support staff for the hard work they have put into the lads this year .... It certainly has started to pay off...:clapping:

13 minutes ago, Garycpos said:

Hi All,

Last league game for the lads today is away at Crystal Palace and if they win they should finish 4th which would be a tremendous achievement. Kick off is 1pm.

Cup Final is the 10th May currently, which is their last game so hoping to go out on a high. I also hope a few get a chance to show their talents for the first team, but given the size of the squad I dont know if this will happen but there is a few knocking on the door, and it would be good for the fans to have a look before the season ends ...:)

Thanks to Macca, Bally, Brian Tinnion and all the support staff for the hard work they have put into the lads this year .... It certainly has started to pay off...:clapping:

I hope some get the chance too through the fabled 'pathway' which apparently exists. The reality, like you say, is that we have a senior squad of 32 ish and look set to bring in many more players this summer so opportunities will be scarce.

If we win today we'll finish 5th  behind Cardiff and L1 clubs, Charlton, Millwall and Coventry. Is that a tremendous achievement? I genuinely don't know.

Just now, Kid in the Riot said:

I hope some get the chance too through the fabled 'pathway' which apparently exists. The reality, like you say, is that we have a senior squad of 32 ish and look set to bring in many more players this summer so opportunities will be scarce.

If we win today we'll finish 5th  behind Cardiff and L1 clubs, Charlton, Millwall and Coventry. Is that a tremendous achievement? I genuinely don't know.

Yes, I should have been a bit more descriptive why I considered it a tremendous achievement ... 95% of the U23 squad is 19 !! and under !! whilst only one player is over 20. :)

16 minutes ago, Garycpos said:

Yes, I should have been a bit more descriptive why I considered it a tremendous achievement ... 95% of the U23 squad is 19 !! and under !! whilst only one player is over 20. :)

Is that not similar across the board though?

I've just checked Charlton's team that beat Millwall last week to win the title and they are mostly 19 year olds with a couple of 18 and 20 year olds.

Most squads have players across all ages, they also use the U23 for 1st team players who are not currently in the squad, or, who are coming back from injury, but towards the end of the season they will play up the Scholars as we have done also, but we have had a young squad all year irrespective of the last few games, and whilst most fans will see positions of league as a yardstick, this is false with U23 squads as it is about performance, learning and adaptation IMO. On a personal note I prefer players to go out on loan, and also preferred the older Central League format to the current U21/23 style. As I believe it is far more productive to be in a varied age environment were you can learn off the older heads, and also have varying degrees of pace/strength.

Anyway, I move away from the Thread .... but wanted to convey the "Youth" element within the squad.

Lets hope some more do break through and save the budget .... :)

1 hour ago, Whitchurch1966 said:

Where is the Glos Cup Final being played, it's next Wednesday apparently but I can see the venue.

It's the Central League Cup (south) next Wednesday. Glos Cup final is being held over until next pre-season (old school!) due to a lack of dates available. 

Adam

Archived