IGNORED

Zulus

42nite

26 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I've read that about Hook. He was an entirely respectable teetotaller and his descendants didn't like the portrayal of him in the film as a violent drunk who was always being locked up.

It must have just been the name; Hooky does sound like a dodgy name.

Great guitarist though .

21 minutes ago, redmycolour said:

Excuse me for being ignorant but who are the zulus?

The Zulus are Birmingham City's football firm. They were one of the most feared firms in the 80s and 90s and were also noticeable for being very multicultural with lots of West Indians lads in their ranks. I am not sure how active they are these days but I would predict anyone who thinks the Brummies will be a pushover off the park tomorrow might get a nasty surprise. Really hope I'm wrong and everything passes off peacefully.

21 minutes ago, redmycolour said:

Excuse me for being ignorant but who are the zulus?

The Zulus because I am Kind, I am wise, I am merciful..... Were a tribe from God knows where in Africa I'm too drunk to look up right now of 4000 soldiers facing some 150 sick/ill soldiers of the British empire and the Zulus LOST!

Just now, sglosbcfc said:

The Zulus are Birmingham City's football firm. They were one of the most feared firms in the 80s and 90s and were also noticeable for being very multicultural with lots of West Indians lads in their ranks. I am not sure how active they are these days but I would predict anyone who thinks the Brummies will be a pushover off the park tomorrow might get a nasty surprise. Really hope I'm wrong and everything passes off peacefully.

Were they really? Shows how the UN-INFORMATIVE one I am :laugh:

3 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Thank you.

15 minutes ago, CrazyInWeston said:

Were they really? Shows how the UN-INFORMATIVE one I am :laugh:

Have a look in Cabot in WSM and you may will find a few, but their site says he hopes the locals "don't get chopsey"

10 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I was going to ask the genuinely sensible question: Why do the Birmingham City football firm call themselves the Zulus?  I now know; it is a race thing.

I did happen to know a Blues fan, years ago who was a recovering teenage smack head.  I never thought to ask the question at the time.  

He loved chanting 'Zulu Army!' at me.

As with most brief friends, it doesn't necessarily always occur to ask, at the time, what comes up on the internet sometimes years later.

How Blue Man ! !

I come in peace - I come in War

3 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

I was going to ask the genuinely sensible question: Why do the Birmingham City football firm call themselves the Zulus?  I now know; it is a race thing.

I did happen to know a Blues fan, years ago who was a recovering teenage smack head.  I never thought to ask the question at the time.  

He loved chanting 'Zulu Army!' at me.

As with most brief friends, it doesn't necessarily always occur to ask, at the time, what comes up on the internet sometimes years later.

How Blue Man ! !

I come in peace - I come in War

The Zulus first appeared in the late 1980s and the name came from a chant of "Zulu, Zulu" which was aimed at Manchester City fans in 1982.  Found this with a search on the net, I assume it is accurate. 

17 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

The 24th was based in Brecon, but at the time of Rorke's Drift it was the 2nd Warwickshire NOT the South Wales Borderers. The regiment took on that title in 1881.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zulu_(1964_film)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zulu_(1964_film)#Historical_accuracy

Of the soldiers present, 49 were English, 32 Welsh, 16 Irish and 22 others of indeterminate nationality.

I remember years ago at New st. Station on the way back from Leicester. City had made themselves known around the town and in Leicesters pub. Apparently word traveled and 5 of us were politely asked if we would like to get some lads together as there were a couple of hundred zulus mobbed outside. We did decline the very polite offer and got our coach home, train replacement eh!

Archived