IGNORED

Lee Mason

GrahamC

6 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

We are too nice and won't even suggest that was the case I imagine. Imagine if Warnock was our coach, do you think he'd have just walked off at HT? No he'd have been in the refs ear and bought a few calls second half. 

See when I ref I'm the opposite, any player, manager, fan who starts arguing then I'll purposely wind them up more...

Yeah it's not 'fair' then but its not 'fair' on me having to get an earful after every decision. 

I think refs, to a degree, do that higher up the ladder, as soon as the manager, player and fans get on their back they seem more reluctant to give them anything. 

7 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

See when I ref I'm the opposite, any player, manager, fan who starts arguing then I'll purposely wind them up more...

Yeah it's not 'fair' then but its not 'fair' on me having to get an earful after every decision. 

I think refs, to a degree, do that higher up the ladder, as soon as the manager, player and fans get on their back they seem more reluctant to give them anything. 

Sounds like refereeing isn't the ideal thing for you

Winding players / managers up

Brilliant

What happens when you wind them up a bit too far ? As you will one day

What a fine example 

Jesus Wept

Shocking! Didn't keep up with play and so 'guessed' several times much to the visible discontent of players and fans. Every time Djuric challenged in the air he risked being penalised even though he did nothing wrong whilst their central defenders were all over our strikers. Brum started time wasting almost immediately after going 1 up and progressively took longer and longer particularly Kuszczak, who was simply taking the piss. No excuses about our disappointing display today but it's always really frustrating when the centre of attention is an abysmal referee

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Sounds like refereeing isn't the ideal thing for you

Winding players / managers up

Brilliant

What happens when you wind them up a bit too far ? As you will one day

What a fine example 

Jesus Wept

Before the game I let each team and manager know how I'm going to ref it, that way it's down to them to control their players and fans etc.

I'm not their to be shouted at for not giving a decision when I haven't even had time to put the whistle to my mouth. If I'm that time I do get berated then the play goes on, yes it's not the rules but if I did stick to the rules (from early on in refereeing, before I spoke to each team prior to the game and started not giving stuff if I get shouted) the game would be called off due to the amount of dismissals for dissent.

At the start of the game the managers and players usually agree with me and accept the style of reffing 

18 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

I'd be surprised by that. 

I knew a premier ref for a number of years. Enjoyed many chats with him. I didn't get that impression. 

First ref to send off gazza, so that puts it in some sort of generational context. 

2 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

Before the game I let each team and manager know how I'm going to ref it, that way it's down to them to control their players and fans etc.

I'm not their to be shouted at for not giving a decision when I haven't even had time to put the whistle to my mouth. If I'm that time I do get berated then the play goes on, yes it's not the rules but if I did stick to the rules (from early on in refereeing, before I spoke to each team prior to the game and started not giving stuff if I get shouted) the game would be called off due to the amount of dismissals for dissent.

At the start of the game the managers and players usually agree with me and accept the style of reffing 

So how do you 'purposely wind them up more' whilst officiating impartially

By 'not sticking to the rules' 

Amazed you don't find yourself in all sorts of hassle , you either referee kids or at a decent standard (God forbid) as there are a few local clubs where purposely winding people up would get rather hairy

Doing a disservice to referees

As per Twitter, I thought he made a lot of correct decisions.  I accept that he should've done more about the time-wasting antics from several players, but we were so naive with some of our challenges.  Got too tight and fouled whilst being rolled.  Clever forward play, dense defending.  Adams played Flint and Wright so well.

When your win team aren't at full throttle and Brum were committed, I think it is easy to blame the ref.

Tin hat at the ready.

Just now, Davefevs said:

As per Twitter, I thought he made a lot of correct decisions.  I accept that he should've done more about the time-wasting antics from several players, but we were so naive with some of our challenges.  Got too tight and fouled whilst being rolled.  Clever forward play, dense defending.  Adams played Flint and Wright so well.

When your win team aren't at full throttle and Brum were committed, I think it is easy to blame the ref.

Tin hat at the ready.

I saw dozens of 'fouls' where I could clearly see 'gamesmanship'. Why couldn't Mr Mason?

So how do you 'purposely wind them up more' whilst officiating impartially

If it's an obvious foul then you can't argue it but if I've been having an earful all game and I've already told both teams before the game any 50/50 where I think is it a foul is it not won't be given. 

Which will wind them up more but alternatively shuts them up in the future. 

In fact I rarely have players or managers actually berate me during the game because of what I tell them prior, then if it does and they feel I'm not giving them some fouls etc. they ease off. 

When they're fair I'll be fair. 

Even though most of the time letting the game play on suits the team who were just berating me :clapping:

1 minute ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

If it's an obvious foul then you can't argue it but if I've been having an earful all game and I've already told both teams before the game any 50/50 where I think is it a foul is it not won't be given. 

Which will wind them up more but alternatively shuts them up in the future. 

In fact I rarely have players or managers actually berate me during the game because of what I tell them prior, then if it does and they feel I'm not giving them some fouls etc. they ease off. 

When they're fair I'll be fair. 

Even though most of the time letting the game play on suits the team who were just berating me :clapping:

So you don't give decisions based on what's happened but dependent on how much stick you've got

Listen to yourself

You realise , as an 'official' you're meant and expected to be above all that and set an example do you ?

So you don't give decisions based on what's happened but dependent on how much stick you've got

Listen to yourself

You realise , as an 'official' you're meant and expected to be above all that and set an example do you ?

As I said, it's only the decisions where I think is it a foul or isn't it, either way your going to upset one side, so if you've given me grief all game don't expect one of those decisions to go in your favour. Plus, me and the people playing the game (plus many on here) prefer the game to flow and don't like all the stop start business 

Obviously a leg breaker or off the ball incident will be dealt with accordingly 

Just now, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

As I said, it's only the decisions where I think is it a foul or isn't it, either way your going to upset one side, so if you've given me grief all game don't expect one of those decisions to go in your favour. Plus, me and the people playing the game (plus many on here) prefer the game to flow and don't like all the stop start business 

Obviously a leg breaker or off the ball incident will be dealt with accordingly 

Lots of back tracking going on here 

I maintain that you're original post about this , is IMHO embarrassing and does your fellow referees no favours 

Lots of back tracking going on here 

I maintain that you're original post about this , is IMHO embarrassing and does your fellow referees no favours 

How? I still stand by saying I will purposely wind up players etc. If they have been shouting the odds all game.

But it's not in the way you're making out that every decision will not go their way and I'd turn a blind eye to everything.

Again, as I've said, both teams are also aware of how I reff before the game starts so they know if they feel some decisions aren't going there way (as I assume you felt today when Brum got a majority of decisions in their favour) maybe they are being d*cks and soon the attitude will change. 

How? I still stand by saying I will purposely wind up players etc. If they have been shouting the odds all game.

But it's not in the way you're making out that every decision will not go their way and I'd turn a blind eye to everything.

Again, as I've said, both teams are also aware of how I reff before the game starts so they know if they feel some decisions aren't going there way (as I assume you felt today when Brum got a majority of decisions in their favour) maybe they are being d*cks and soon the attitude will change. 

So if you wound a player up so much he gave you a mouthful of expletives , or worse assaulted you ... what would you do ?

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Listen to yourself

Never seen a single ref apply the rules correctly for 90 mins. Ever. 

16 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Mistakes are mistakes

Deliberately refereeing on other factors is a totally different thing

I don't mean mistakes. I mean understanding and  applying the rules. Especially where cheating is concerned. 

Just now, CotswoldRed said:

I don't mean mistakes. I mean understanding and  applying the rules. Especially where cheating is concerned. 

You've lost me tbh

IMHO. the poster has suggested if players  give him any probs he winds them up further by giving any benefit of doubt to the opposition

That simply ends his impartiality and , IMHO is pitiful coming from a referee

You've lost me tbh

IMHO. the poster has suggested if players  give him any probs he winds them up further by giving any benefit of doubt to the opposition

That simply ends his impartiality and , IMHO is pitiful coming from a referee

I'm saying all refs are shit. There aren't any good ones, because the best one's don't apply the rules. They apply a modern interpretation that tolerates cheating. 

Odd coincidence, but was the worst referee I've seen in my lifetime apart from Mike Dean in 1998 against Birmingham City too (Akinbiyi disallowed goal, Ndlovu half pike awarded etc etc). I was a teenager then and felt a little bit childish for suggesting he'd been paid. Today I'm totally comfortable saying I've seen it all and yet would happily defend myself in a court of law in saying that Lee Mason was paid for today. Never seen anything like it. It was an absolutely ridiculous display, how many times was the linesman either correcting him, or shrugging his shoulders embarrassed that the ref had only one plan anyway. 

The phrase "parachute ref" was made to describe him. Lee Mason is an absolute fraud.

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

So if you wound a player up so much he gave you a mouthful of expletives , or worse assaulted you ... what would you do ?

I'm not sure how a couple of decisions where they have been 50/50 which haven't gone their way would lead to assault, if so then a football pitch isn't for them. I would advise they take up boxing

but I would intend to nip it in the bud and ask the manager to sub the player off to prevent any scenario presented above from happening 

Mistakes are mistakes

Deliberately refereeing on other factors is a totally different thing

Law 5:

Decisions will be made to the best of the referee`s ability according to the Laws of the Game and the spirit of the game and will be based on the opinion of the referee who has the discretion to take appropriate action within the framework of the Laws of the Game.

If there is a 50/50 imho the best decision is to let the game play on, this can lead to the team who's been abusing me throughout the game becoming wound up, I see it as touché and it's not like I didn't give them prior warning

3 minutes ago, You Do The Dziekanowski said:

I'm not sure how a couple of decisions where they have been 50/50 which haven't gone their way would lead to assault, if so then a football pitch isn't for them. I would advise they take up boxing

but I would intend to nip it in the bud and ask the manager to sub the player off to prevent any scenario presented above from happening 

Law 5:

Decisions will be made to the best of the referee`s ability according to the Laws of the Game and the spirit of the game and will be based on the opinion of the referee who has the discretion to take appropriate action within the framework of the Laws of the Game.

If there is a 50/50 imho the best decision is to let the game play on, this can lead to the team who's been abusing me throughout the game becoming wound up, I see it as touché and it's not like I didn't give them prior warning

Okay - and on any report you made to the FA Disciplinary - would you mention that you had deliberately wound them up?

6 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Okay - and on any report you made to the FA Disciplinary - would you mention that you had deliberately wound them up?

I think you're trying too hard. 

An honest, personal assessment of every day at work for most of us probably doesn't meet with an employment contract or terms and conditions. 

Players and coaches are ******* and a bit of improvisation works. 

Just now, Up The City! said:

Wasn't we also on the attack when the whistle was blown? I was convinced had we played another 2 or 3 minutes which I believe we're due then we would have scored.

In the minute before blowing he must have looked at his watch 50 times. Desperate to end it all. 

5 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

I think you're trying too hard. 

An honest, personal assessment of every day at work for most of us probably doesn't meet with an employment contract or terms and conditions. 

Players and coaches are ******* and a bit of improvisation works. 

Possibly :laughcont:

Just annoys me the fact that referees aren't honest but quick too book players for dissent when they become less than impartial

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I would include what I had said prior to the game to each team explaining that I do not tolerate being berated/abused and that any of this can lead to decisions not going in favour of your team.

In my years of officiating I've never had any problems though and as stated players soon change their attitude if they feel they aren't getting decisions go in their favour especially after what I've said before the game. 

I don't deserve to be threatened in anyway so why should they deserve to have a decision go their way if it's not clear cut and I'm in doubt if it was a foul?

I would include what I had said prior to the game to each team explaining that I do not tolerate being berated/abused and that any of this can lead to decisions not going in favour of your team.

In my years of officiating I've never had any problems though and as stated players soon change their attitude if they feel they aren't getting decisions go in their favour especially after what I've said before the game. 

I don't deserve to be threatened in anyway so why should they deserve to have a decision go their way if it's not clear cut and I'm in doubt if it was a foul?

Problem is, a referee is scared of issuing 20 yellows and 5 reds. 

I wouldn't be. 

I hope that the referees assessor was present because that was the most appalling display of recent times. He allowed Birmingham to waste time from 16 mins onwards. Allowed the game to be broken up at will and gave free kicks for minimal contact on there players. Yet when our forwards were being manhandled did nothing... it was cheating. And the timewasting by the GK was scandalous. He must have taken over 45 seconds to take his goalkicks.... booked in the 94th minute - yeah good one ref. Complete clown and I agree with another poster, he was so bad that it was almost like cheating.....

Archived