IGNORED

Squad analysis

Alessandro

Just now, RedDave said:

Well it depends how highly you deem him rated. Consensus seems to be that he will definitely play at Premier League or equivalent level at some point, successfully.  I disagree with that.  Is that an opinion that is worth mocking?

No, but this "overrated defender" shit is ridiculously stupid. 

Just now, Benni said:

No, but this "overrated defender" shit is ridiculously stupid. 

Why?  I think the consensus is as I described and I don't think he will reach that level.  I also don't think he is worth a place in the team at the moment and it seems many do. 

Therefore I think he is overrated.  Why is that stupid ?

47 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Having a guess at those who want out and/or who will be made available, or could move because they are wanted by other clubs:

Giefer, Tammy, Golbourne, Little, Magnusson, Reid, Tomlin, O'Neil, Flint, Engvall

Wilbs will stay IMO.

Basically another substantial rebuild required, but probably with more outs than ins. Shambles.

Interesting.

Obvious thing to say, but those under contract for next year will need a buyer if we are to sell, I can't see that being an issue for the two centre backs but many of the others may well be harder to shift.

If all that does happen it truly will be his squad (though of course he is already in the realms of moving on his own signings here!), perhaps then he'll manage to equal the achievements of the much maligned Keith Millen and guide us to the dizzy heights of 15th place...

Outs - geifer, wilbs, Matthews, little, Tomlin, Reid, O'Neil, golbourne, begrudgingly Flint if for good money, Tammy.

ins - 

gk- Bentley, Sam Johnstone, ruddy. Need a more imposing and commanding keeper.

magnussen and Moore to compete as partner to wright with vyner being back up rb.

rb - Alexander-Arnold, Dujon sterling. Prove pace, energy and quality.

lb - rico Henry. Same as above and eng u-21

rw - Jonathan leko, Marley Watkins. Watkins only as he is a free but would prefer leko as he is primed for a loan and can be rotated with Patterson.

cm - da silva lopes. Potentially the next alli so worth spending extra on him. League one regular at his age is no easy thing and will definitely improve. It's a worthwhile gamble as English players go for big bucks. We are in a better position over Peterborough too so it provides a step up.

st - Ollie Watkins, prem loan. Not sure about watkins as scoring record isn't outstanding but gets rave reviews. Think I would prefer a similar player to Tammy on loan if possible as we have djuric and Taylor and potentially engvall.

I would like to see Flint sold (whilst he has high market value) and Maggers form a solid back line with Wright as it would be more balanced and both better at bringing ball out defence. 

Once LJ decides on formation he wants to continue with for next year, we should see some movement in midfield as lots of options centrally but lacking width. 

I think Djuric will be big player for us next year (he won't get loads of goals mind) but Taylor isn't good enough to start so I'd expect a big signing up top with Tomlin also competiting. 

On 10/05/2017 at 21:02, Alessandro said:

Just a few thoughts about the squad, what needs strengthening, who stays, who goes?

GK: A major priority for the summer will be getting a new number 1. Frankie will be a good number 2, unless one of Lucic or O'Leary come knocking, but likely another window or season on loan for them.

Central defense: We should all be hoping Wright and Flint remain as our CB pairing. Flint could go, but will be tough to replace. Taylor Moore returns and hopefully he and Hordor will challenge them hard next season. I also imagine we may start seeing more of Hegeler at CB too. This area i'm not too worried about, provided we keep players, but may reassess in Jan.

Wing/Full backs: Matthews leaves and Golbourne may follow. Sorry but Little also has leave for me, Vyner should be worked in as back up in this position to a new RB coming in. On the left, I want to see Bryan further up the field TBH, so a new LB is also high on the list, someone like Rico Henry. 

Wide players: I hope we see more of COD and Paterson next season, plus Bryan could be pushed forwards. A wide right player needs to be added though so we can push Brownhill more centrally where I think he will be more effective.

Centre mid: Here we have a bit of an abundance of players, but none have really shone. Bobby and GON both seem to fade away. LT seemed too 'expensive' from a team perspective when playing 4-4-2. So we landed with a more 'solid' partnership of Korey and Pack. The problem with this pairing for me, is going forwards, because both are getting good 'final third time' but not, in my opinion, at their best there. Do they have the quality to unpick championship defense's regularly? Personally i'd be looking at another centre mid, unless Brownhill can become that all rounder, yaya toure type we need in the middle playing this way. I'd like someone like Erhun Oztumer from Walsall perhaps, although he is very attacking minded.  

Forwards: Obviously with Tammy leaving a huge hole needs filling. Ideally another European gem would be great, but another premiership loan would work, although they're never going to live up to Tammy, who was once in a decade quality. Looking forward to seeing more of Taylor and Djuric. Wouldn't be surprised to see two strikers in unless we have system where Tomlin can play-off a striker, but that hasn't seemed to happen this season.

In:

6 - GK, LB, RB, CM, WR, ST x 2

Out: 

Geifer - Little - Golbourne - Tammy - Dare I even say Bobby or Tomlin? 

Not another CM surely!

LJ has stated he would ideally like to have a core squad of 18 players supplemented by 4/5 from our Development U23 squad. If we are to get the balance right with that size of squad, the priority for me has to be the full backs. During most of last season they were simply not good enough. I suspect though that LJ sees Bryan as his No.1 LB, and don't be surprised if Hordur is the back-up.

As for the rest, the Outs for me include Fielding, Little, O'Neil (coaching role maybe), Tomlin, Wilbraham (possible coaching role), with question marks over Reid, Hegeler, Engvall and Korey Smith (gets caught on the ball far too often). I remain happy with the rest of the squad (we must do all we can to keep  Flint and Pack), although I need to see more of Lucic, O'Leary, Wollocott, Vyner, Moore and the lesser spotted Engvall to make a solid judgement. 

As for Ins I await developments with interest. I imagine we'll end up with a kid from some Premiership club to play up front, although hoping for lightning to strike twice might be a bit wishful. 

9 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Shameful if true about Hordur.

He's clearly got talent and genuine potential to improve further; if we're not going to see that potential fulfilled at AG due, it seems, to poor man management, you can be damn sure we'll watch on enviously as he thrives elsewhere.

Gutted to hear this and I don't want to believe it to be true but I do. As I said flew here my fear is that talent like Magnussons will be driven out only for us to struggle again and Lee to relieved of his role a few months later. We might then bring a manager who could coach him and others, but by then it will be too late.

7 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I don't take too much by it but he was talking of 'One or two ins' and both him and MA have talked of a slimmer squad

Think we need more than 'One or two' personally

Well I suppose if the squad was slimmer he won't  be able to churn them around so much. 

Just now, RedM said:

Well I suppose if the squad was slimmer he won't  be able to churn them around so much. 

We need to get rid of (What appears to be) quite a bit of deadwood and I'm all for a slimmer squad , easier to keep happy

But the slimmer squad has to be of sufficient quality and 'constructed' carefully so we have decent options / cover in each area

I feel we are quite a way from that with a bit of a confused / imbalanced squad as it stands 

Squad analysis - Top priority is two strikers, unless we find another Tammy midfield will need to contribute more.  See who gets poached to create gaps elsewhere, and rather than signing players for the sake of it, look to our younger players to step up.

Oh, and personally, I would not be looking to re-sign Matthews!

19 hours ago, RedM said:

Gutted to hear this and I don't want to believe it to be true but I do. As I said flew here my fear is that talent like Magnussons will be driven out only for us to struggle again and Lee to relieved of his role a few months later. We might then bring a manager who could coach him and others, but by then it will be too late.

This worries me too. I don't have any knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes, but if someone of Magnusson's qutility and potential is frozen out then it would seem all is not well.

On 12 May 2017 at 16:37, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

LJ has stated he would ideally like to have a core squad of 18 players supplemented by 4/5 from our Development U23 squad. If we are to get the balance right with that size of squad, the priority for me has to be the full backs. During most of last season they were simply not good enough. I suspect though that LJ sees Bryan as his No.1 LB, and don't be surprised if Hordur is the back-up.

As for the rest, the Outs for me include Fielding, Little, O'Neil (coaching role maybe), Tomlin, Wilbraham (possible coaching role), with question marks over Reid, Hegeler, Engvall and Korey Smith (gets caught on the ball far too often). I remain happy with the rest of the squad (we must do all we can to keep  Flint and Pack), although I need to see more of Lucic, O'Leary, Wollocott, Vyner, Moore and the lesser spotted Engvall to make a solid judgement. 

As for Ins I await developments with interest. I imagine we'll end up with a kid from some Premiership club to play up front, although hoping for lightning to strike twice might be a bit wishful. 

Pack over Smith? 

Also a mention for Wollocott who is playing for the U23's purely because O'Leary is out on loan. What you smoking mush?

Archived