IGNORED

Boro are already talking big

Dullmoan Tone

52 minutes ago, footydave343 said:

Boro fan here getting clued up on champ clubs again. Gibbo isn't gobbing off he's stating a fact we have 55% of min £75m+ coming in this season from parachute payments plus a minimum of £20m+ player sales so he's just telling the truth it shouldn't be offensive. Looking forward to the season ahead I reckon you lot will be be right up there next it's going to be an interesting transfer window ahead

Agreed. But we like a moan. Personally- I relish the challenge of trying to turn over these clubs coming down with their potentially greater playing resources.

And it can't be forgotten that the original intention of parachute payments was right - safeguarding against players on big money contracts for clubs coming down so they can survive.

All for it - after all - we will get one in 2 seasons time !! :P

Just now, Neo said:

Agreed. But we like a moan. Personally- I relish the challenge of trying to turn over these clubs coming down with their potentially greater playing resources.

And it can't be forgotten that the original intention of parachute payments was right - safeguarding against players on big money contracts for clubs coming down so they can survive.

All for it - after all - we will get one in 2 seasons time !! :P

It's not about safeguarding clubs who are relegated. 

It's about safeguarding the influx of top foreign players who wouldn't sign a contract in the first place with relegation affecting their wages. 

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Here is a quote from their Chairman "The club is well run and we're in a good financial state, so we will have more resources going into next season than any other Championship club".

Surely the FA need to look into parachute payments as other clubs will never cope. 

Especially as Boro have only been in the PL for a season, they get too much compensation (reward) for failure, which then affects nearly everyone in the Championship who hasn't already been relegated. It's not sustainable and getting worse than ever.

All he's done there is advertise to every single club and agent that they can demand double/triple the price and fees when money bags Boro come calling. Smart move from the Chairman.

Just now, CotswoldRed said:

It's about safeguarding the influx of top foreign players who wouldn't sign a contract in the first place with relegation affecting their wages. 

IMG_0677.PNG

24 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Parachute payments should be paid only after an independent FA/EFL accountant has viewed said clubs finances.

If Boro really are £100m in the black now, their parachute payment should be relative to their holdings.

Compare it to Sunderland who would probably get full whack as they are currently meandering down shit creek...

Means testing for relegation parachute payments?

There will be no incentive for clubs lower in the Prem to run themselves well.

Either get rid or keep parachute payments, there should be no fudging because it will get abused.

Personally, I'd like it gone and the money that would have been parachute payments shared out amongst the rest of the EFL on a tiered basis. Those who can keep their houses in order then get a bonus, whereas those clubs who are struggling get a helping hand.

37 minutes ago, David Brent said:

Yes, that is exactly why you didn't get into the playoffs...

I know that's what I said 

31 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Wednesday have been down here a while their parachute so to speak has been and gone. They took your player because they are a bigger club and can pay more wages. Same as what city did with Matty Taylor

They're using money they've not generated, it's only same as failure payments, they can pay big wages because they have a milti millionaire bank rolling them and throwing money at it, FFP My arsehole. 

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Here is a quote from their Chairman "The club is well run and we're in a good financial state, so we will have more resources going into next season than any other Championship club".

Surely the FA need to look into parachute payments as other clubs will never cope. 

Especially as Boro have only been in the PL for a season, they get too much compensation (reward) for failure, which then affects nearly everyone in the Championship who hasn't already been relegated. It's not sustainable and getting worse than ever.

In any vote Bristol City vote for these arrangements instead of against.  Again Bristol City voted for the EPPP.  Neither favour the many v the few, or the grass roots of football.

The EPL and its cash is sustainable for years to come. 

The FA is virtually powerless v the EPL and  has members employed by the EPL protecting the vested interest of the same amongst it.

Don't like it bin your subscriptions to the TV companies etc ...

45 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Parachute payments should be paid only after an independent FA/EFL accountant has viewed said clubs finances.

If Boro really are £100m in the black now, their parachute payment should be relative to their holdings.

Compare it to Sunderland who would probably get full whack as they are currently meandering down shit creek...

Why should a club that runs it's finances well and within it's means receive less of a parachute payment than a club that is profligate with it's money? Why should they get any parachute payment if they get £100 million for finishing in the bottom 3?

My beef is with the whole of the financial rules. SL is trying to run BCFC within the financial rules and is aiming to make the club financially self sufficient , as fas as is possible. QPR and Bournemouth basically flouted those same rules in order to chief promotion and the rewards of the premier league, so where is the financial penalty that each should have received?

The premier league seems to provide the means, one way or another, by which clubs that do manage badly are bailed out or given a real leg up in getting back out of the championship. SL is not allowed to put in £90 million of his own money, over and above permitted losses, in order to fund the wage bill so we can build a stronger squad to compete at the top end of the table. For Hull, Boro and Sunderland the premier league do just that.

28 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

Don't sign them then.

11 minutes ago, Ashtonboy said:

Does anyone know how the yo-yo clubs like Hull etc, are treated under the parachute payment rules. Surely they don't get a fresh round of full payments everything they go down, within the four Years!  

If they are promoted I think they no longer receive the parachute payments, which are distributed to other championship clubs - stand to be created on the last point though.

36 minutes ago, Ashtonboy said:

Does anyone know how the yo-yo clubs like Hull etc, are treated under the parachute payment rules. Surely they don't get a fresh round of full payments everything they go down, within the four Years!  

I believe they do.

Say their 4 year parachute is £15m a season.

Recieve it year 1 - go up. Remaining £45m redistributed.

Go down Y2 - 4 year cycle starts again. If it's still £15m per annum, they are guaranteed another £60m 

Think this is why Burnley have been successful - and West Brom previously. Go up, don't break the bank, come down with the same squad on manageable wages and go up again until you're in shape to stay there.

It is worth mentioning two things -

If you say an average PL wage at the lower end of the table is £20k - £30k a week and there is no relegation clause, that money doesn't go far - and with demotivated players that's why a lot of teams don't bounce back. Overpaid players eating into the parachute they can't move on 

Secondly, if I recall correctly, it's been reported that all Sunderland players except Rodwell and Defoe (the latter can leave on a free) have relegation clauses dropping their salaries. I'd be amazed if Boro don't have similar.

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I believe they do.

Go down Y2 - 4 year cycle starts again. If it's still £15m per annum, they are guaranteed another £60m 

Think this is why Burnley have been successful - and West Brom previously. Go up, don't break the bank, come down with the same squad on manageable wages and go up again until you're in shape to stay there.

If you say an average PL wage at the lower end of the table is £20k - £30k a week and there is no relegation clause, that money doesn't go far - and with demotivated players that's why a lot of teams don't bounce back. Overpaid players eating into the parachute they can't move on 

Secondly, if I recall correctly, it's been reported that all Sunderland players except Rodwell and Defoe (the latter can leave on a free) have relegation clauses dropping their salaries. I'd be amazed if Boro don't have similar.

On 12/05/2017 at 10:17, BobBobSuperBob said:

This is how Parachute Payments stood at the start of the season just finished ( Assume they will increase year on year)

Clubs get the following amounts over the three seasons.

In season one, 2016-17, £40 million

In season two, 2017-18,  £33 million

In season three, 2018-19, £14 million.

19 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I believe they do.

Not sure that's right,if a team gets relegated just after a season the 4 year cycle doesn't start again it's reduced 

Given this..

Does that mean that with Newcastle going straight back up that £47M is shared between the remaining 21 Championship clubs (season 2 and 3 monies)?

4 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Given this..

Does that mean that with Newcastle going straight back up that £47M is shared between the remaining 21 Championship clubs (season 2 and 3 monies)?

No idea, but I'd put money that it gets redistributed to Prem clubs.

3 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Given this..

I would of thought it would be spread between the rest of the lower leagues surely. I just looked on the website and it's rather confusing but I'm a simpleton 

Jeez, having seen those figures (had gone from the prior quote referencing QPR) I stand corrected. 

Does still mean with no relegation wage reduction clauses getting back up in Y1/2 is a must. I'd imagine, even if the club is in Y3 the ex prem lustre still means players raise wage expectations accordingly

• Admin

It makes a mockery of the financial fair play, clubs coming down get a free handout for failure, clubs lucky enough to have a owner with a bit of wealth are penalised, as he can't splash his cash, should he want to.  If we were in a position with Boro in the top two in January ( a big if, but stay with me), we would be in a hugely disadvantaged position when it came to strengthening in the window, even if SL wanted to buy a couple of players to really push on.  How do the football authorities sign that off as a level playing field??

12 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

I would of thought it would be spread between the rest of the lower leagues surely. I just looked on the website and it's rather confusing but I'm a simpleton 

No, the prem bless `em decided to do away with that rule a year or two ago and instead distribute it among those that deserve it i.e. themselves.

Much as I thought (at the time) the likes of Gartside (RIP) of Bolton was trying to selfishly protect Bolton by creating the closed shop second tier Prem, I was listening to Phil Brown last week and he explained he was trying to get to to money distributed further.  Don't get me wrong he did have Bolton's interests at heart, but he thought more than 20 clubs, circa 40 should share the money in that it was just creating a bigger and bigger gap.

The Prem table is a bit embarrassing, it's really a league of 6, 7 if you include Everton, and another of 13.

Having said that, it's never been a level playing field, but was less stretched out than it is now.

4 hours ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Surely the FA need to look into parachute payments as other clubs will never cope....

To be fair you've picked out one quote from an honest and open interview...he also said it was a heartbreaking season, he admitted the responsibility for their failure lies with him, he admitted he made mistakes and he said how much it hurts.

By picking out that one quote you've made him appear arrogant and over-confident. Although to be fair to you, he did sign off by predicting 'Boro will 'smash the league next year.' I think that is mis-guided at this point, but it is exactly the sort of quote that their loyal fans will want to hear after relegation.

Steve Gibson is one of the most genuine and loyal chairman/owner of any club. I see him as a character very much along the lines of our own Mr S. Lansdown.

In the interest of balance you can read more of Steve Gibson's interview/quotes here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39922674

Archived