IGNORED

Anybody remember Gas in Dolman block B at the rearranged game in 96?

Rkid

4 hours ago, harrys said:

Ahh, the happy landings, what a cracking pub that was, some real characters in there, one of the few pubs where KW lads and The "Hartcliffe Mafia" used to drink together, some good lads from Hengrove and Whitchurch as well and City through and through 

I knew a guy called DP. If you know the HL well, you will know who I am on about.

Together with the old KW Venture et al, the HL was a good firm, and saw them give it out to many a big nose club home and away. Those were proper decent days, never to be repeated. I loved my football in those days and don't mind admitting the camaraderie was second to none. Loved it.

I did not live "local," to the HL, more of a KW Venture, but made no difference, very friendly pub. Brought south Bristol together in many ways on football days and many good memories. After the mid 80's which was the best firm I experienced on a day out with BCFC, was the next best. Close knit, and looked after each other when it counted. 

Nowadays you just don't get it! **** the prawn sandwiches who have taken over, I suppose. Don't like it personally but I am showing my age I suppose?

BCFC was a football family in many ways! Different today, Shame IMO. But that is what £s does to football.

4 hours ago, 1960maaan said:

Because they're shit and have previous for being shit at important stuff like details. Example ;

Leicester away (Jackie cup game)we had a coach from Old Market that used to leave so we managed to get wherever for opening time. It was January so the weather was cold and we had an ear on the radio just in case . Twice they announced the game was off, jumped in a mates car and four of us were on our way to Spurs, think it was the nearest interesting game. Got to Melksham maybe , only to hear on a proper station that put game wasn't one of the ones called off. Quick phone call , mate turns around and we met the coach at the M5 services. 
The station is not fit for purpose, as entertainment it maybe ok but all the local media is pretty poor.

Remember radio saying game was off thought nice day in warm then mate turned up for lift to ground it was on great day though

I don't recall us ever losing to the gas

On 20/05/2017 at 00:43, WTFiGO!?! said:

What I remember of that night is 100's of S/T holders being locked out (the club had made it pay on the night/at the turnstile and hadn't done the Maths), the gates on the Williams literally being lifted as hordes of City fans waded in and my Dad making an executive decision to get me and my brothers out of there sharpish and off home.

A gashead friend of the family was in the Dolman that night and I clearly remember him describing the atmosphere to my Dad as sinister.

One of the few physical fights I was ever involved in occurred the next day at school, with gas heads.  Other gas acquaintances were bragging how they were hurling coins etc from the front of the EE towards the lower Dolman.

There is footage of the game on YouTube but I don't recommend viewing it.  

That was early 96 - the game originally scheduled for 15/12/95 was frozen off.  In December 96, Holloway (following his irresponsible pre match press conference: "I hate Bristol City and Bristol City hate me") ran for his life off of the AG turf following a R*vers pitch invasion due to a late R*vers equaliser.

In fairness you can hardly blame him. I can imagine if he'd got caught that we'd be talking about the first beheading at a domestic English game. I can just picture Skeletors head on a spike being paraded around the pitch.

29 minutes ago, Rich_s said:

I don't recall us ever losing to the gas

In fairness you can hardly blame him. I can imagine if he'd got caught that we'd be talking about the first beheading at a domestic English game. I can just picture Skeletors head on a spike being paraded around the pitch.

Ha Ha !! Yes, I think there's every chance we would've gone all medieval on him :D 

It was a basic fight or flight response.

The point is: whereas most managers do their upmost to diffuse derby tensions we had old Funny Bones winding it right up!

I don't think his mother could've warned him of the dangers of playing with fire.....

8 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

Ha Ha !! Yes, I think there's every chance we would've gone all medieval on him :D 

It was a basic fight or flight response.

The point is: whereas most managers do their upmost to diffuse derby tensions we had old Funny Bones winding it right up!

I don't think his mother could've warned him of the dangers of playing with fire.....

Well she was right when she said that if the wind changed his face would stay like that.

Archived