IGNORED

Non Threatening sounding ground names

Major Isewater

Crappest names must go to the knuckle-draggers at FC Taxpayer: new ground is "The London Stadium" (there's actually quite a few stadia in London, guys) and the old one: "The Boleyn Ground" (headless queen) or "Upton Park" (sounds like a Billy Joel song, and wasn't even actually there)

9 minutes ago, YorkshireSection said:

Valley Parade sounds like a welsh shopping centre!

Highbury sounded like a new strain of weed.

The Boleyn just sounds like a crap pub, which is apt as it has many around it, The Queens being the worst!

The Vetch Field sounded like a place you'd play fetch with your dog if you were French 

I always think of projectile vomit.

2 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Working around the country as I do, conversations often lead to football and respective clubs. Our place certainly did have and still does have a reputation for being one of the nicest cities but one of the most unwelcoming grounds.Even some of the big boys think our place can be 'a bit lairy' as one of my London customers put it.

Personally and happily, I don't think the Gate is a bad place to visit nowadays but, then again, I'm a home fan so don't really see what it's like for an away supporter.

The New York stadium is a crap name IMHO and I always used to smile at Cuckoo Lane at the old Oxford ground but that was anything but friendly back in the day. 

I gather Ashton Gate is 'respected' by those who might visit looking for trouble, but more and more I see ordinary away fans being treated in a very welcoming and friendly manner, chatting happily with City fans outside the ground. My impression has always been away fans actively seeking trouble at AG are very likely to find it (similar at most grounds to a greater or lesser degree) but if they don't go looking for it, and don't behave provocatively, the likelihood is they'll have a completely hassle free day.

I see this thread as being more about the name of the ground itself - in our case those great words 'Ashton Gate' - and how emotive those 2 words are in print and sound and the feelings they might evoke in the average away fan planning to visit. Do they view the name as threatening/a bit weedy/a bit of a joke/ a ridiculous sponsor's name?

None of these - in my experience it's all positive. It's a great traditional name for a football ground - strong - almost 'fortress like' ;) - named after the immediate area and therefore specifically representing the local community, historic, and by way of experience once inside passionate home fans and, apparently, one of the better and more memorable grounds to visit atmosphere wise.

I always used to hope City would be drawn away to Lewes FC, so that we could play at their ground, The Dripping Pan. As they are now in the Ishmian League Division One South, this seems unlikely. 

Forest Green's ground, The New Lawn, reminds me of a tennis or croquet club 

35 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I gather Ashton Gate is 'respected' by those who might visit looking for trouble, but more and more I see ordinary away fans being treated in a very welcoming and friendly manner, chatting happily with City fans outside the ground. My impression has always been away fans actively seeking trouble at AG are very likely to find it (similar at most grounds to a greater or lesser degree) but if they don't go looking for it, and don't behave provocatively, the likelihood is they'll have a completely hassle free day.

I see this thread as being more about the name of the ground itself - in our case those great words 'Ashton Gate' - and how emotive those 2 words are in print and sound and the feelings they might evoke in the average away fan planning to visit. Do they view the name as threatening/a bit weedy/a bit of a joke/ a ridiculous sponsor's name?

None of these - in my experience it's all positive. It's a great traditional name for a football ground - strong - almost 'fortress like' ;) - named after the immediate area and therefore specifically representing the local community, historic, and by way of experience once inside passionate home fans and, apparently, one of the better and more memorable grounds to visit atmosphere wise.

I don't move in circles of those 'looking for trouble' Noggers nor would I want to. Fans of other clubs have said it was 'a bit intimidating' but I took that as in yesteryear when it was commonplace. 

Apologies if my post sounds like a 'hoolie' post, it was certainly not my intention. 

38 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

I don't move in circles of those 'looking for trouble' Noggers nor would I want to. Fans of other clubs have said it was 'a bit intimidating' but I took that as in yesteryear when it was commonplace. 

Apologies if my post sounds like a 'hoolie' post, it was certainly not my intention. 

It didn't to me at all Ska, and apologies if you felt my reply implied it had.

5 hours ago, Northern Red said:

The Wankhede (pronounced 'w**k a day') Cricket Ground in Mumbai is a belter.

Pull the other one!

I`ve always liked the name of Dover`s ground, The Crabble.

The Priestfield always sounds to me like somewhere the Spanish Inquisition would have used for burning heretics.

As an aside, I read somewhere (Simon Inglis`s book I think) that there were only four league football grounds of the 92 back in the eighties named after actual real people - this was `original` grounds before everyone started building new ones. Dean Court and Ninian Park were two of them but I can`t for the life of me remember the other two.

Archived