IGNORED

Londonisation of Bristol?

Mr Popodopolous

3 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

I dont think I am particularly adaptive with my accent, but there are certain words or phrases that emphasise it.

I also remember my Dad telling me to "talk properly" when I was younger and saying "I" came out as more of an "Oi" sound.

Completely agree with your final paragraph, and while not Bristol, one weekend I got an instant reminder of being in the South West. I was at University in Wales at the time, but went to Bath to visit a mate. As soon as I stepped outside the station I could hear The Wurzels being blasted out a car- someone was just driving around the block with music at full volume and the windows down. Couldn't help but chuckle to myself.

Out of the places I have been Bristol is definitely my favourite though, with Scarborough of all places in second!

Yeah, oi definitely prenounce the word 'I' 'ow i' shood be.  'Oi' not 'I'.   What annoys me with Bristolianism isn't the pronounciation but the sheer poor English.  That's what makes us sound thick.  

For example: 

"Where is she?".

"Where's she too?".

"I should've gone that way".

"I should've went that way". 

Quirky though we are though me babber, you gotta love it down yer, look.  I's the only way.

As for other places I'd rather live; I don't think you'll be getting the boy out of Bristol again!  Other places are good to visit but not to live, in my experience.  We'll see.

There's no place like home :)

3 minutes ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

Yeah, oi definitely prenounce the word 'I' 'ow i' shood be.  'Oi' not 'I'.   What annoys me with Bristolianism isn't the pronounciation but the sheer poor English.  That's what makes us sound thick.  

For example: 

"Where is she?".

"Where's she too?".

"I should've gone that way".

"I should've went that way". 

Quirky though we are though me babber, you gotta love it down yer, look.  I's the only way.

As for other places I'd rather live; I don't think you'll be getting the boy out of Bristol again!  Other places are good to visit but not to live, in my experience.  We'll see.

There's no place like home :)

I got a "Dictionary of Bristle" given to me before I went to uni, so my flatmates would be able to translate if I went too Bristolian.

As you say, it's not the phrases (many of which are from clinging to old English), but the poor use of the words.

Think Bristol will always be one of my favourite places, but I am only a young 'un so got lots of travel to do (I have, from memory, only stayed in 2 places in the north of England ever. Blackpool and Scarborough. And I was so young for the Blackpool trip the only thing I remember is being on a tram that crashed into a taxi).

Just now, JamesBCFC said:

I got a "Dictionary of Bristle" given to me before I went to uni, so my flatmates would be able to translate if I went too Bristolian.

As you say, it's not the phrases (many of which are from clinging to old English), but the poor use of the words.

Think Bristol will always be one of my favourite places, but I am only a young 'un so got lots of travel to do (I have, from memory, only stayed in 2 places in the north of England ever. Blackpool and Scarborough. And I was so young for the Blackpool trip the only thing I remember is being on a tram that crashed into a taxi).

It's a lazy accent, for sure.  I was given a Bristle dictionary  too when I was a youngn'.   I noticed you couldn't be arsed to start your final paragraph with the word 'I'.  (You were) straight in with the "Think Bristol will always be ...".  We tend to drop letters such as 'T'  but add 'em and also get contexts all wrong.  "I likes that I does.  She do too".  

I've lived in London for eighteen months, New Zealand for nine months and Birmingham for three months.  Have travelled most of GB (a lot with City), quite a bit of Europe, S America and a very little of Asia.  

All good, man and I'd advise exploration wherever possible. 

Archived