IGNORED

Kevin Mabbut hat trick v Man Utd

pongo88

I can remember playing in the same Parkway Juniors Sunday under 15s with Kevin for 3 years from the age of 12. I was also fortunate to represent Bristol Boys in every age group but he didn't make the squad until he was 14. I can remember his late father Ray giving him plenty of instruction from the touchline. We played as the 2 main strikers at under 14 and 15 level at which he came into his own and was selected for England Schools. If I remember rightly they had a lighted area in their garden ( unheard of in those days) and him and Gary practised with a ball at their feet every night. At the age of 16 I discovered cider and he carried on preparing to be a professional footballer. Dedication and hard work got the likes of him and Steve White to get where they wanted to be. Gary was even better because he also had natural ability. Now where's my can of Thatchers.......

We played Elmlea regularly I recall. Had a big slope on the pitch if memory serves me correctly. It was one of the few teams that would play us (Westbury Park) as we had David Rogers younger sister playing for us - Jane I think. Our headmaster took on the FA about playing a mixed sex side and we were banned from playing in any local leagues. She was a decent footballer.

This would have been around 67-68 I think. Was that around the time Kevin was in the Elmlea side?

Did one of the Mabbutts go on and play for Cotham? Think I recall playing against one of them when in goal for Henbury and getting raked down my shin. Had an interesting side at Henbury with Ian Britton (ex Brum and more notably, Tamworth), a Spurs trainee and Roger Malone's son.

Actually, Roger was a a good egg. Took us to Cardiff to watch City and to several other matches. Also, when we played Torquay GS in the National Pepsi Cup in front of about 1000 of their fans (Torquay were playing The Gas the same day), he came behind the goal to offer me some encouragement as he saw my legs had turned to jelly! Funnily enough our 'fans' were banned from that game for scrapping with (I think) a Brislington School mob on the Tote End in the area final the year previous! 

10 hours ago, Moor2Sea said:

We played Elmlea regularly I recall. Had a big slope on the pitch if memory serves me correctly. It was one of the few teams that would play us (Westbury Park) as we had David Rogers younger sister playing for us - Jane I think. Our headmaster took on the FA about playing a mixed sex side and we were banned from playing in any local leagues. She was a decent footballer.

This would have been around 67-68 I think. Was that around the time Kevin was in the Elmlea side?

Did one of the Mabbutts go on and play for Cotham? 

No slope at Elmlea Moor2Sea.

I'm pretty sure Kevin wouldn't have been playing in 67-68 - I would have been up against you though! 

We had a very strong team at Elmlea, and he would only have got in when the bulk of that team left.

I don't remember playing Westbury Park, our big matches were against Teyfant (whose players seemed to be twice our size) and a team in Lawrence Weston I can't remember the name of.

As for Kevin Mabbutt at Cotham, friends of mine who went there didn't rate him as anything special at all. His surname, parental influence and training opened many doors to him, imo, which were closed to others.

Good for him though, he certainly made the most of it, and I enjoyed watching him playing for City.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

No slope at Elmlea Moor2Sea.

I'm pretty sure Kevin wouldn't have been playing in 67-68 - I would have been up against you though! 

We had a very strong team at Elmlea, and he would only have got in when the bulk of that team left.

I don't remember playing Westbury Park, our big matches were against Teyfant (whose players seemed to be twice our size) and a team in Lawrence Weston I can't remember the name of.

As for Kevin Mabbutt at Cotham, friends of mine who went there didn't rate him as anything special at all. His surname, parental influence and training opened many doors to him, imo, which were closed to others.

Good for him though, he certainly made the most of it, and I enjoyed watching him playing for City.

We obviously made a big impression :-) Think we played in green and navy shirts - as he desperately tries to get some recognition! Can't remember many other teams we played. Had a match on the River Avon side of the Portway once and got thumped by a massive margin 8/9-0, whether that was Teyfant or a Shirehampton based school I've no idea. All I remember is picking the ball out of the net in that one.

Must admit thought your pitch sloped cross-wise down towards a row of trees bordering residential gardens as you looked from the school entrance down the pitch. Maybe I'm thinking of another venue. 

10 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

We obviously made a big impression :-) Think we played in green and navy shirts - as he desperately tries to get some recognition! Can't remember many other teams we played. Had a match on the River Avon side of the Portway once and got thumped by a massive margin 8/9-0, whether that was Teyfant or a Shirehampton based school I've no idea. All I remember is picking the ball out of the net in that one.

Must admit thought your pitch sloped cross-wise down towards a row of trees bordering residential gardens as you looked from the school entrance down the pitch. Maybe I'm thinking of another venue. 

There was a raised area above the pitch with a building ( the infants school) with a slope between that and the pitch itself, which was flat.

The impressive row of mature trees were mostly Elms - hence the school name - so mostly died off in the 70's. Some trees still there though.

Teyfant were from Hartcliffe I think. The one photo I've still got of a game was one my Dad took against them from behind the goal with me competing with a 10/11 year old 'skinhead' twice my size!

They were what you would call 'hard but fair' and it was always a great game against them.

58 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

I played for Shire Colts in that one

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

There was a raised area above the pitch with a building ( the infants school) with a slope between that and the pitch itself, which was flat.

The impressive row of mature trees were mostly Elms - hence the school name - so mostly died off in the 70's. Some trees still there though.

Teyfant were from Hartcliffe I think. The one photo I've still got of a game was one my Dad took against them from behind the goal with me competing with a 10/11 year old 'skinhead' twice my size!

They were what you would call 'hard but fair' and it was always a great game against them.

Take comfort that we got them back for you. At senior level, we (Henbury) stuffed Hartcliffe on the way the Glos Schools Cup Final. They weren't very happy about it either.

I've not got much understanding of Kevin Mabbuts career, I do realise he was classed as a massive young superstar for us back in the day, but what actually happened to his football career? Did he have a career threatening injury, or did he just naturally fall to the wayside as he didn't progress enough etc?

I'd really appreciate a little more info about what happened, if somebody knows?

39 minutes ago, beaverface said:

I've not got much understanding of Kevin Mabbuts career, I do realise he was classed as a massive young superstar for us back in the day, but what actually happened to his football career? Did he have a career threatening injury, or did he just naturally fall to the wayside as he didn't progress enough etc?

I'd really appreciate a little more info about what happened, if somebody knows?

A bit of both. He was a good player, both this seemed to go to his head as he drove around in a car with "Kevin Mabbut Superstar" written on the side! After moving to Crystal Palace he suffered a bad knee injury which ended his career. He was good, but could have achieved more  

15 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

A bit of both. He was a good player, both this seemed to go to his head as he drove around in a car with "Kevin Mabbut Superstar" written on the side! After moving to Crystal Palace he suffered a bad knee injury which ended his career. He was good, but could have achieved more  

Many thanks for that.

Did he go to Palace for big money? or was it a case of him never progressing as much as City thought he would?

2 hours ago, beaverface said:

Many thanks for that.

Did he go to Palace for big money? or was it a case of him never progressing as much as City thought he would?

He left City in 1981, basically because this was in the period when City went from the first division to the fourth division in successive seasons, and players had to go. From what I can remember he was swapped for Terry Boyle, but not sure if any money was involved.

1 hour ago, beaverface said:

Many thanks for that.

A deal valued at 110k that included Terry Boyle from Palace in part exchange iirc.

City were in div.3 at the time, Mabbutt having scored just once in 15 appearances before joining 2nd division Palace.

He left City in October '81, just a few months before the crisis in '82.

Did he progress as City hoped? Undoubtedly not. He was a good player - if never a high scorer - but he had an unprecedented PR - both in terms of being pushed by the local media from an early age and then, of course, the absurdity of 'Kevin Mabbutt's Magik Bus' - but fair to say he never really lived up to his early promise, even if injuries may have played their part in that.

On June 6, 2017 at 17:53, cynic said:

I was there and also for the 1-0 win in the second division a few years earlier (late Keith Fear goal I think).

Happy days..

On June 6, 2017 at 18:05, onehowie said:

Think it was Donnie Gillies?

On June 6, 2017 at 18:09, cynic said:

It was at Old Trafford.

Unless I am going gaga I'm sure it was Keith Fear.

No doubt someone will confirm I'm going gaga...

Funny (true) story! I was chatting to Gerry once and he said to me, did you know I once scored at Man Utd and I said yeah and he said well I'd forgotten, a bloke told me I did earlier!

I am convinced GG scored the 74 goal at OT after a last minute Keith Fear run the that had them completely buggered. My memory is less than excellent but I'm pretty sure that was the goal we were talking about. 

There is some video about but it cuts at the vital moment. A bloke on here once said no it was Donnie, but I'm pretty sure he was wrong as I am sureish Gerald Sinstadt even had a moan about how we time wasted the entire game for Gerry Gow to score the winner in the added time we were responsible for. 

Anyone confirm all of this (or tell me I'm an old senile loser). I mean properly stato like rather than other senile losers recollections. :laugh:. 

35 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Funny (true) story! I was chatting to Gerry once and he said to me, did you know I once scored at Man Utd and I said yeah and he said well I'd forgotten, a bloke told me I did earlier!

I am convinced GG scored the 74 goal at OT after a last minute Keith Fear run the that had them completely buggered. My memory is less than excellent but I'm pretty sure that was the goal we were talking about. 

There is some video about but it cuts at the vital moment. A bloke on here once said no it was Donnie, but I'm pretty sure he was wrong as I am sureish Gerald Sinstadt even had a moan about how we time wasted the entire game for Gerry Gow to score the winner in the added time we were responsible for. 

Anyone confirm all of this (or tell me I'm an old senile loser). I mean properly stato like rather than other senile losers recollections. :laugh:. 

Taken from 'Bristol City - The Modern Era' by David Woods - it was Gillies who scored the winner (see the picture below):

IMG_2761.JPG

19 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Taken from 'Bristol City - The Modern Era' by David Woods - it was Gillies who scored the winner (see the picture below):

IMG_2761.JPG

Nice job North London. I guess that's that then. So I'm at a loss to know when GG scored at OT  

You getting up my way again anytime soon? 

For the record who got our winner in the home game can't remember that either. 

19 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Nice job North London. I guess that's that then. So I'm at a loss to know when GG scored at OT  

Looking through the same book for other seasons, I can't see that Gow scored for City at Old Trafford. 

76-77 - we lost 2-1 at Old Trafford. Fear got our goal

77-78 - we drew 1-1 there, Cormack scoring for us

78-79 - won 3-1, Mabbutt hat trick 

79-80 - lost 4-0. 

As for the home game in 74-75, it was on the 9th of November 1974 and John Emanuel scored in a 1-0 win. 

I may well be in Chicago in August. Will drop you a line if so...would be great to catch up over a couple of cold ones. Last time I was in the Red Lion on North Lincoln Avenue they had Thatchers Green Goblin on tap...not the best cider but better than the usual Stateside offerings! (Although the Elephant and Castle on Wabash sells Aspall Cider, but at eye wateringly high prices). 

Interesting. Then maybe it was in our youth cup run. Or some other match. 

They have just given the elephant and castle on Adams where we went a face lift. But don't know about the others. I like Aspalls personally but beer/cider prices are going through the roof here.

in ingerland from tomorrow and no city game. Effing hate that. :laugh:!

you at the match Saturday?

46 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Interesting. Then maybe it was in our youth cup run. Or some other match. 

They have just given the elephant and castle on Adams where we went a face lift. But don't know about the others. I like Aspalls personally but beer/cider prices are going through the roof here.

in ingerland from tomorrow and no city game. Effing hate that. :laugh:!

you at the match Saturday?

Yes, I flew back from Glasgow earlier today. Bit of a slow burner for the first 70 minutes but given how turgid most international football is these days, the last 20 minutes were surprisingly eventful. First time I've seen a game at Hampden and the atmosphere was excellent. Then a few beers in the west end of Glasgow afterwards, so a decent trip all in all.

Off to Paris in the morning for the France game on Tuesday. 

8 hours ago, REDOXO said:

Gerry Gow scored 5 goals for Man. City in 80-81.

Perhaps one of those was at OT?

Archived