IGNORED

Falklands War Commemoration

SARJ

Slightly random, but for those unaware, today is the anniversary of the Battle of Mount Longdon, a decisive engagement during the Falklands War. British Paratroopers successfully took enemy Argentine positions on the well-entrenched Mount Longdon, an action so brave that there was hand to hand bayonet fighting and a posthumous Victoria Cross awarded. Taking of these position was of vital importance as it overlooked the capital Stanley. Victory here ultimately meant liberation of the capital and islands.

Off on a tangent, it is such a shame that ‘modern history’ such as this is not taught in Schools nowadays.

An Army pal of mine persuaded me to watch a particular documentary on the conflict which I got round to doing last week. It was a phenomenal undertaking and the jubilant scenes of celebration when the task force returned to Southampton were scenes like I have never seen before (patriotic songs, flag waving, thousands of balloons etc). Now it seems all of that was fought as a forgotten memento of history (not to go into politics, but I believe our Government also shamelessly try not to publicise or commemorate what was a great victory against all odds, miles from home for fear of annoying the more liberal opponents and Argies).

Surprisingly the documentary I watched also spent considerable time analysing international reaction to Britain’s victory. Most of the world, even our allies, couldn’t believe we went to war, let alone won it. What I found really fascinating was the Russian response: they were so impressed with our undertaking and had nothing but huge respect for Britain afterwards, saying we were a force to be reckoned with and shouldn’t be provoked.

Archived