IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

On 23/08/2023 at 19:55, And Its Smith said:

Yeah not having Brook in is madness and every pundit and fan seems to be in agreement.  I don’t think the squad is completely final yet so maybe he will force his way in.  I’d drop Livingstone and Roy and bring in Jacks and Brook. You don’t lose a spin option then either 

For one awful moment, I thought you were suggesting bringing in our Somerset star, Jack Brooks.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Looks like some good bowlers coming through for England.
Bairstow , just brilliant too.
Have to say, the more you watch Brook the more you wonder how he's not going to the World Cup.

Yeah, I understand wanting all rounders like livingstone in, and argument that Roy as opener is different role despite him having zero form. Brook should be in. Maybe for a bowler? 3 of our 4 subs are bowlers...

• Like 1

The problem with getting Brook in the one day team is similar to getting Foakes in the test team. Very hard to do without ruining the balance.  Six bowlers are needed.  How do you pick 5 batters from the below lot plus Brook?  

Bairstow, Root, Buttler and Stokes are four. No doubt they all play.  You then need another opener to make it five which isn’t Brook.  So Roy or Jacks. Plus you have Malan who is one of the best ODI batters in the world.  So even if you fudge the openers with say Buttler there, Malan is waiting in the wings.  Eoin Morgan says he understands the non Brook selection as essentially it came down to Brook or Stokes. 

Jos Buttler (captain), Moeen Ali, Gus Atkinson, Jonny Bairstow, Sam Curran, Liam Livingstone, Dawid Malan, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, Reece Topley, David Willey, Mark Wood, Chris Woakes.

On 02/09/2023 at 07:48, And Its Smith said:

The problem with getting Brook in the one day team is similar to getting Foakes in the test team. Very hard to do without ruining the balance.  Six bowlers are needed.  How do you pick 5 batters from the below lot plus Brook?  

Bairstow, Root, Buttler and Stokes are four. No doubt they all play.  You then need another opener to make it five which isn’t Brook.  So Roy or Jacks. Plus you have Malan who is one of the best ODI batters in the world.  So even if you fudge the openers with say Buttler there, Malan is waiting in the wings.  Eoin Morgan says he understands the non Brook selection as essentially it came down to Brook or Stokes. 

Jos Buttler (captain), Moeen Ali, Gus Atkinson, Jonny Bairstow, Sam Curran, Liam Livingstone, Dawid Malan, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Jason Roy, Ben Stokes, Reece Topley, David Willey, Mark Wood, Chris Woakes.

Brook is better than all of the above so I’d be dropping any of them!