IGNORED

International Cricket

Monkeh

Very average from England. The spinners bowled well but the pace bowlers threw down some right rubbish at times. With Pakistan's crushing defeat by India yesterday this should of been a walk in the park for England to go fourth with an improved run rate, but there's a game on now with the Afghan spin attack. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Midred said:

Not sure that Bairstow makes a good opener?

Averages 46 with a strike rate of over 100. 

Got to laugh at some on here. 10 overs into Afghanistans inning we weren’t going to qualify!! Certainly brings out the doom mongers. 

Long way to go yet and plenty of batting still to come. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Very average from England. The spinners bowled well but the pace bowlers threw down some right rubbish at times. With Pakistan's crushing defeat by India yesterday this should of been a walk in the park for England to go fourth with an improved run rate, but there's a game on now with the Afghan spin attack. 

Do you really think playing Afghanistan on an Indian wicket was going to be a walk in the park!!!!!!

They have leg spinners We cant play spin You do the math 

• Admin
31 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Averages 46 with a strike rate of over 100. 

Got to laugh at some on here. 10 overs into Afghanistans inning we weren’t going to qualify!! Certainly brings out the doom mongers. 

Long way to go yet and plenty of batting still to come. 

You should read the county cricket thread when Somerset lost wickets :laugh:

4 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Simon Doull has a theory that Woakes doesn't travel well, particularly moving around on internal flights. 

It’s not a theory; it’s a fact. His stats - in all forms of international cricket - are significantly poorer than on home soil. No idea why and while I won’t scapegoat him, I have no idea why he’s in our T20 side at a World Cup. Cannon fodder. 

29 minutes ago, tin said:

It’s not a theory; it’s a fact. His stats - in all forms of international cricket - are significantly poorer than on home soil. No idea why and while I won’t scapegoat him, I have no idea why he’s in our T20 side at a World Cup. Cannon fodder. 

Not actually true in ODI cricket, his home and away record almost identical.

52 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Not actually true in ODI cricket, his home and away record almost identical.

Woakes ODIs abroad: 82 wickets at 31; averaging 22 with the bat. 

Woakes ODIs neutral venues outside of England: 14 wickets at 39, averaging 24 with the bat.

Woakes ODIs in England: 69 wickets at 28; averaging 26 with the bat. 

Woakes ODIs in India: 10 wickets at 42; averaging 10 with the bat. 

So clearly he performs better on home soil but his record in India in particular is dire. As I said, cannon fodder (even against the likes of Afghanistan). 

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/247235.html?class=2;home_or_away=1;home_or_away=2;home_or_away=3;template=results;type=allround

Edited by tin
Insert link to source

21 minutes ago, tin said:

Woakes ODIs abroad: 82 wickets at 31; averaging 22 with the bat. 

Woakes ODIs neutral venues outside of England: 14 wickets at 39, averaging 24 with the bat.

Woakes ODIs in England: 69 wickets at 28; averaging 26 with the bat. 

Woakes ODIs in India: 10 wickets at 42; averaging 10 with the bat. 

So clearly he performs better on home soil but his record in India in particular is dire. As I said, cannon fodder (even against the likes of Afghanistan). 

https://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/player/247235.html?class=2;home_or_away=1;home_or_away=2;home_or_away=3;template=results;type=allround

Unless I’m missing something, his overall record is averaging 30.4 with the ball, and away from home it’s 31.3.

By continent, the only anomaly is six poor games in Africa, apart from that he’s been consistent everywhere.

IMG_2598.jpeg

IMG_2600.jpeg

Edited by bearded_red
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

Unless I’m missing something, his overall record is averaging 30.4 with the ball, and away from home it’s 31.3.

By continent, the only anomaly is six poor games in Africa, apart from that he’s been consistent everywhere.

IMG_2598.jpeg

IMG_2600.jpeg

Never let facts get in the way of ******** opinion. Great post

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

IMG_2598.jpeg

IMG_2600.jpeg

As I said, I’m not scapegoating Woakes; I like him, particularly in home conditions. But I can’t have him in India in any format and as well as seeing him struggle out there with my own eyes, here is why:

IMG_2094.thumb.jpeg.94ce2f2fdd73ac64522cfbd3befbf073.jpegIMG_2093.thumb.jpeg.74150baa2ecc7fd2e054ae36df8219ef.jpeg

And my wider point is backed up here, but it’s up to you how you interpret facts and I won’t lose any sleep over it.

IMG_2093.thumb.jpeg.74150baa2ecc7fd2e054ae36df8219ef.jpeg

11 minutes ago, tin said:

As I said, I’m not scapegoating Woakes; I like him, particularly in home conditions. But I can’t have him in India in any format and as well as seeing him struggle out there with my own eyes, here is why:

IMG_2094.thumb.jpeg.94ce2f2fdd73ac64522cfbd3befbf073.jpegIMG_2093.thumb.jpeg.74150baa2ecc7fd2e054ae36df8219ef.jpeg

And my wider point is backed up here, but it’s up to you how you interpret facts and I won’t lose any sleep over it.

IMG_2093.thumb.jpeg.74150baa2ecc7fd2e054ae36df8219ef.jpeg

His away record in ODIs also massively superior to any of Wood, Curran or Topley. Quite a small sample size for the later two though obviously.