IGNORED

Now I'm not one to panic...

EmersonsRed

But what on earth is our pre-season schedule about? We have time to add one quality fixture to the pre-season list.

I looked at the teams that finished two above and two below us last season and their preparation for this upcoming season

Ipswich face Charlton, Gillingham and Colchester.
Wolves face Werder Bremen, Peterborough.
QPR face Reading, Bournemouth.
Birmingham face Swansea.

All facing teams just above/below our division

Our toughest opposition seems to be Yeovil so far, with time running out to arrange a fixture. I am fully aware results mean nothing during pre-season but we wont be testing our footballing ability with these fixtures, let alone gain fitness when we have 70% possession every game... Get us a game like Granada last year and get passed off the pitch! Make them run... Test their footballing ability. 

1 minute ago, EmersonsRed said:

But what on earth is our pre-season schedule about? We have time to add one quality fixture to the pre-season list.

I looked at the teams that finished two above and two below us last season and their preparation for this upcoming season

Birmingham face Swansea.

Our toughest opposition seems to be Yeovil so far, with time running out to arrange a fixture. I am fully aware results mean nothing during pre-season but we wont be testing our footballing ability with these fixtures, let alone gain fitness when we have 70% possession every game... Get us a game like Granada last year and get passed off the pitch! Make them run... Test their footballing ability. 

FC Twente aren't a bad team

Just now, JasonM88 said:

FC Twente aren't a bad team

I do apologise... This one seems to have slipped through my fingers. Correct - they are not a bad side. Perhaps not so bad after all, I still feel like there aren't enough tests through our pre-season though... I'd like to have seen no Yeovil fixture and get a league one side in, that could be seen as nit picking though. 

6 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

You`re having a mare here mate!

Kind of. My point still stands though, is one fixture that'll challenge us enough? A few consistently good ones would be nice, no point putting 5 past bath, 3 past Cheltenham and Yeovil... We gain nothing from it.

19 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Birmingham face Swansea.

What teams would u be happy with . Or expect to play against 

Please don't panic.

In August 1985 we played Liverpool (Ian Rush et al) and Manchester United (Bryan Robson et al) in pre-season friendlies

3 months earlier, Liverpool had played in the European Cup final and Manure won the FA Cup.  

Liverpool couldn't beat us and we lost by 1 goal (I think) to Manure. Then we lost our first 5 games of the season proper.

CjnRYajXIAAO3_M.jpgImage may contain: 1 person

Pre-season friendlies are no more than glorified training exercises.

So yeah - don't panic.

You do tend to get more of a test against lower sides as their players are trying to prove a point and perhaps put themselves in the shop window . Playing against big clubs they will either play a youth team or have senior players going through the motions. Pre season friendlies are just for fitness nothing more. 

Archived