IGNORED

RIP Ken Wimshurst

cider head

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

How times have changed. I doubt that City could buy a skillful experienced player from Southampton now. Allowing for inflation the fee might be too much, but even if it wasn't, the salary would be a problem. There was little to chose between City and Southampton in the 60s, but they were promoted to the first division and City just missed out. 

I've only just found out his second name was Pinkney! What a name and I'm not surprised he kept it quiet. Nowadays with social media everyone would know instantly and there would be lots of suggestions on the forum for pink songs

Younger fans won't get it, BUT we all used to call him Nimmo after that character actor Derek ! 

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fimg5.bdbphotos.com%2Fimages%2Forig%2Fm%2Fc%2Fmc8471o0vl8zz80.jpg%3Fkj8as6ye&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Ffanpix.famousfix.com%2Fgallery%2Fderek-nimmo&docid=b5K39dx3U0JWUM&tbnid=cTR9lh1KxLjUUM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwib17L_g_fUAhXkLsAKHfYaDgcQMwgjKAAwAA..i&w=454&h=255&bih=472&biw=1000&q=picture of derek nimmo&ved=0ahUKEwib17L_g_fUAhXkLsAKHfYaDgcQMwgjKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

4 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

29 apparently...one of those players who seemed older !

What my dad used to call "a footballers 29" ? i.e. what a player would say his age was as in those days you were considered as over the hill after 30. :) Not so much these days it seems  

Ken's main contribution to City was probably as a coach rather than a player. He became Head Coach and Assistant Manager to Alan Dicks once John Sillett left in 1974, covering our promotion to Div 1 and the entire 4 seasons in the top flight. Once AD went he was caretaker manager for a couple of games. As a player I seem to remember he started as a midfield player but AD converted him to right back where he played until Gerry Sweeney took over the position. Certainly a massive contribution over a 13 year period.

Remember him when I was a teenager. A steady player who consistently produced 7/10 performances week in, week out. Nothing spectacular but knitted the team together. A Cole Skuse type of player but MUCH more productive and effective. Was probably a managers dream. Could certainly see a pass early and execute it.

Many good memories of him.

R.I.P Ken. A real gentleman as stated many times above.

Also the bravest coach in football?

He took the City squad to a ballet school (to improve the players' nimbleness, balance and spatial awareness?) Saw it on the telly. Quite a talking point at the time. Showed Ken's imaginative approach to coaching.

1 hour ago, southvillekiddy said:

R.I.P Ken. A real gentleman as stated many times above.

Also the bravest coach in football?

He took the City squad to a ballet school (to improve the players' nimbleness, balance and spatial awareness?) Saw it on the telly. Quite a talking point at the time. Showed Ken's imaginative approach to coaching.

Yes I remember Ernie Hunt on tv pirouetting! :laugh:. 

always remember Ken fondly, neat tidy player, neat tidy man. sportsman too

But of all his achievements his own goal from the half way line at Cardiff city will keep me chuckling to my grave, but with a tear in my eye.

it was an entertainment business and he was a first class representative of our club

Always remembered him being called "Wim-Hurst" by local fans! My personal memory of Ken was an away game at Oxford in the sixties. We lost 2-0 and were useless that day but as Graham Atkinson lay on the floor Ken stood in the centre of his back and twisted his foot! Probably would have banned for life these days :-) Not even sure he was booked. RIP Ken Wim Hurst.

1 hour ago, phil_clevedon said:

Sad news, Ken & his wife Doreen used to live next door to me & my parents. I still remember their housewarming party. Keith Fear (my hero at the time) parked his Hillman Avenger outside our house. How times have changed!

I'm sure I went t o school with his son who was a year or two below me, wasn't he on why don't you?

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 07:11, exiledinwatford said:

Always remembered him being called "Wim-Hurst" by local fans! My personal memory of Ken was an away game at Oxford in the sixties. We lost 2-0 and were useless that day but as Graham Atkinson lay on the floor Ken stood in the centre of his back and twisted his foot! Probably would have banned for life these days :-) Not even sure he was booked. RIP Ken Wim Hurst.

Never saw or thought of KW as a dirty/nasty player, he's the last one I'd imagine to have done something like you describe above..., oh well Ken, man of surprise eh?

Firstly RIP Ken and thoughts to his family.

Secondly, this will be a long post, which I make no apologies for.

Upon seeing the thread I vaguely recognised the name, being a young 'un, this was not a person I ever saw play (but realised it was a former City player). It was only tonight when I found where I had recognised the name. A 1990 book titled "Bristol City Greats" which dedicated a page to 50 players the author had chosen as our best/most influential players in the 45 post war years at that point.

Ken was the last listed (because it was done in alphabetical order) and the following is what it said.

"If a caricaturist were to commit the image of Ken Wimshurst to paper, he might portray the cultured right-half taking to field in a pin-stripe suit and bowler hat, a rolled umbrella over his arm. Ken was immaculate in everything he did, his game as neat and polished as his appearance, and he exuded class from the moment he checked in at Ashton Gate as new manager Alan Dick's first signing in October 1967. The £15,000 capture from Southampton, who had played a major part in establishing the Saints as a First Division force, was just the sort of influence Bristol City needed if they were to think in terms of reaching the big time themselves.

Ken, never the most rapid of movers, was now approaching 30 and a little on the pedestrian side for the top flight, but as for his distribution, control and vision, well, that was another story. Throughout the Sixties and Seventies, it is doubtful whether the Robins boasted a more precise passer of the ball than this most composed of creators, who was initially drafted in the team in place of former skipper Gordon Low.

The thoughtful north-easterner, who had spells with Newcastle United and Wolves without playing a senior game for either before his successful six-year sojourn at the Dell, was a reassuring sight as he sallied smoothly out of the City half. He radiated confidence, but there were times when his fluent service was to little avail because colleagues were not experienced enough to read his intentions. One man who did relish linking up with Ken was right-winger Alan Skirton, who had also sampled life among the elite, and together they constructed some of the Robins' most attractive and dangerous moves.

In 1971/72 Ken enjoyed an accomplished stint at right-back in an improving side that was at last beginning to look a little more like First Division candidates than relegation fodder, and then retired. He went on to succeed John Sillett as first-team coach, and when Alan Dicks was sacked in 1980 he spent 3 weeks as joint caretaker-boss with assistant manager Tony Collins. Ken later coached a leading Egyptian club before returning to Bristol to run a shop and then take another job outside the game. He now operates Southampton's School of Excellence in Bath, and his young charges could hardly ask for a more impeccable example of skill and professionalism."

RIP Ken Wimshurst.

Remember being Alan Dicks first signing and from then on he was a permanent midfield player in Dicks sides (similar to Lee Johnson being in Gary Johnson's teams). This didn't go to well with certain section of City fans who nicknamed him Wimsh*t towards the end of his City career. But when he first signed he helped City stay in the old Division 2 and was a valuable asset in the late 60's and early 70s.  

My lasting memory of Ken was the 1970-1971 League Cup run when we were beaten over two legs by Spurs  in the semi final. In the third round we played Leicester City at Filbert Street drawing 2-2 and the replay at Ashton Gate was a Wednesday night . City went 1-0 up with David Rodgers scoring. Then Leicester took the game to City and Ken was having a terrible game and couldn't string a pass together and the midfield was being overrun. Leicester equalised and then Dicks made a substitution when everyone thought Ken would be the Player coming off. When Skirton was substituted the crowd booed but Dicks hardly every took Ken off. Leicester were firmly on top towards the end of 90mins and City fans were on Ken's back. Into extra time and Ken was still struggling to make any impact. Then 14-15 minutes into extra time it was either a corner or cross and Ken ghosted into the box and thumped in the winner. You can imagine the reaction of City fans as Ken went from zero to Hero and all was forgotten of his performance up to then.   

Archived