IGNORED

Hegeler - CB this year?

BRISTOL86

I might be reading too much into this but do you think Hegeler will be used as a CB this season? I know when he came in it was stated that he was adept at playing in that role but when he did feature it was as a midfielder. 

Just taking a look at the Guernsey squad and the squad list is clearly organised into goalkeepers/defenders/midfielders/attackers with Hegeler appearing towards the beginning. 

Might be reading something into nothing but is this a sign that we can expect to see him in a defensive role this season?

City (from): Jojo Wollacott, Max O’Leary, Aden Flint, Jens Hegeler, Lloyd Kelly, Eros Pisano, Taylor Moore, Zak Vyner, Joe Bryan, Scott Golbourne, Aaron Pierre, Korey Smith, Josh Brownhill, Marlon Pack, Bobby Reid, Diego De Girolamo, Callum O’Dowda, Jamie Paterson, Jonny Smith, Freddie Hinds, Milan Djuric, Shawn McCoulsky.

6 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I might be reading too much into this but do you think Hegeler will be used as a CB this season? I know when he came in it was stated that he was adept at playing in that role but when he did feature it was as a midfielder. 

Just taking a look at the Guernsey squad and the squad list is clearly organised into goalkeepers/defenders/midfielders/attackers with Hegeler appearing towards the beginning. 

Might be reading something into nothing but is this a sign that we can expect to see him in a defensive role this season?

City (from): Jojo Wollacott, Max O’Leary, Aden Flint, Jens Hegeler, Lloyd Kelly, Eros Pisano, Taylor Moore, Zak Vyner, Joe Bryan, Scott Golbourne, Aaron Pierre, Korey Smith, Josh Brownhill, Marlon Pack, Bobby Reid, Diego De Girolamo, Callum O’Dowda, Jamie Paterson, Jonny Smith, Freddie Hinds, Milan Djuric, Shawn McCoulsky.

I know we have players to come in but jeez that squad looks so weak.

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I agree I think that is where he is going to play this year. Johnson said last season that hegeler was ready to come in for Wright if Wright was not fit coming back from international duty. That could only mean that hegeler is in front of magnusson in that position. The only reason we have not seen him play there yet in a back 4 is because flint and Wright were always available. So that makes me wonder whether magnusson may be gone, or loaned out.

Or playing Left back?

Wasn't his last start in the 0-5 debacle at Preston? He is one of those who is good coming out with the ball and distributing but doesn't seem to jump for headers when crosses come in. Not sure he started as CB that day but remember his defending was poor.

6 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Surely this will only be needed if we sell Flint just before the season starts?

BCFC would not be so ******** silly.

tfj

18 hours ago, Super said:

You are aware that our internationals aren't back with us yet..?

I don't most premier league/championship squads look too convincing, if you take out the better players. 

He looks like a proficient Defensive Midfielder to me, who could fill in on an emergency basis as a centre half.

But in a 3-5-2 he may well be utilised as one of the defenders. Magnusson looked too weak to play in a back 3 last season but decent in a back 4.

Good to have different options for different formations - IMO.

19 hours ago, Super said:

Players like Fielding, Lucic, Magnusson, Wright, O'Neil, Tomlin, Taylor and Diedhiou, plus Wilbs if he is needed and even Engvall, you mean?

Not all of those will be first choices (though I'd argue the first eight would all be in our match day 18 at present) but when you consider that we are 8 or 9 light today it really does not look that bad to me, (and we are only playing Guernsey, for goodness sake)...

4 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

He is 24 and out of contract having previously been at Wycombe. Doesn't look great does it? 

There`s a difference between being OOC and released and being OOC because you`ve turned down a new one.

I doubt his availability has impacted on any other signings we may be interested in TBH, we`re just having a look at him on trial.

Liked the look of Hegeler on the right of a back 3 when he first arrived.

He lost his way after early promise with us last season but showed moments of quality. I can't help but feel/hope a full pre season with us could see him being like a new signing for us this season.

Archived