IGNORED

Further squad depth needed?

EmersonsRed

With a month to go until the start of the season we are without:

Lee Tomlin (albeit close to being ready to train with the football)
Gary O'Neil - 3/4 weeks till he can begin training.
Famara - arrives into the country tomorrow, week behind everyone else.
Wright - nobody knows when he will be returning.
Hodor - same as Wright.
Matty Taylor - mid Tenerife trip before he can begin training.

We could be left very, very short at the beginning of the season and if we suffer injuries throughout the season we may be a bit buggered too. LJ has said he'd be happy if we went into the season tomorrow with his squad but I can't help but believe it's a bit of a lie. We certainly need more depth.

Just now, EmersonsRed said:

Hodor - same as Wright.

We could be left very, very short at the beginning of the season and if we suffer injuries throughout the season we may be a bit buggered too. LJ has said he'd be happy if we went into the season tomorrow with his squad but I can't help but believe it's a bit of a lie. We certainly need more depth.

I see what you're saying but most of the players you listed are coming back soon and if anything we have too many players! We should be fine.

10 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Hodor - same as Wright.

I know when Hordur is returning.. on Monday, because he said so on Twitter.

Wright was given three extra weeks off because his season only ended about a week or so ago. As he has been playing all summer I somehow doubt that he won't be match fit...

I think we have plenty of players, personally I have more concerns over quality than quantity.

26 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Hodor - same as Wright.

Too many players imo if the tombola gets too full it will take longer to pick out the first team. :dunno:

I still think there will be a new arrival or two. That is backed up by some of the tweets from Stockhausen , I know I know. but  it sounds plausible .

LJ wouldn't want to let on where we were, they seem to keep things close to their chests until deals are close or finalised. I still think we need quality rather than numbers and we have bags of 'potential' we need a bit of the NOW ! If we don't sell anyone I would hope for a keeper at the very least, a good LB would be a bonus as would a RW. I think we could cope then, but to push for playoffs will take a lot more quality or the younger players to push on massively.

3 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

I still think there will be a new arrival or two. That is backed up by some of the tweets from Stockhausen , I know I know. but  it sounds plausible .

LJ wouldn't want to let on where we were, they seem to keep things close to their chests until deals are close or finalised. I still think we need quality rather than numbers and we have bags of 'potential' we need a bit of the NOW ! If we don't sell anyone I would hope for a keeper at the very least, a good LB would be a bonus as would a RW. I think we could cope then, but to push for playoffs will take a lot more quality or the younger players to push on massively.

So since then we have had a RB and a striker. Wilbs has also signed, so that is arguably the second striker.

That leaves a LB, CB and right winger- and we all know we have had a CB trialist play today.

Edit- and the GK of course

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

So since then we have had a RB and a striker. Wilbs has also signed, so that is arguably the second striker.

That leaves a LB, CB and right winger- and we all know we have had a CB trialist play today.

Edit- and the GK of course

Obviously just because we're 'in the market' for those players doesn't mean we'll sign them. I hope we are still actively trying to sign someone. 
Wilbs may have been apart from AS's tweet, the CB is an easy one as it would be free so why not look. The keeper is the one I'd like to see come in.

2 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Hodor - same as Wright.

Nothing wrong with the depth of the squad at all. We have good depth, the trouble is they are all of similar quality. If we are to add to the squad now it needs to be serious quality and an upgrade on what we have, not just to fill the squad out.

A lot depends on how some of our key players and additions from last season perform and how quickly our new signings adjust. The likes of Tomlin, O'Neil and Hegeler need to step up. Similarly, Paterson, Bryan and Reid need to find more consistency. Djuric has impressed me and I think he will be an important player this season.

I also think LJ needs to ensure there is a sense of togetherness in the squad, something that wasn't always evident last season. 

1 minute ago, Super said:

For me we still need 4 quality players if we are to compete this season.

Compete where?

Comfortable (no dogfight) but lower table side, midtable, top half, playoffs or better?

Either of the first two, perhaps the third as well and I disagree.

Playoffs or above, absolutely, but the point of getting developing players is so that in 2 years time they will be of that quality.

Quality not quantity. First team only.

Ain't convinced this Development Squad concept is any different from the 'all froth, no substance' Academy. Lightweights, all very similar, nobody consistently imposing themselves. 

Take the view of many successful managers, only buy in players you intend to play regularly in the first team. 

Sure LJ will prove me wrong though. 

Think people are forgetting the other part of the equation.

Mark Little aside, none of our own players has left this summer.

If any of O'Neil, Golbourne, Engvall or Tomlin did (my guesses as the 4 that LJ would probably most like to move on), then others would arrive.

If no-one does leave us then I would not be at all surprised to see a new goalkeeper as the only further arrival, bar possibly the Wycombe lad.

27 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Compete where?

Comfortable (no dogfight) but lower table side, midtable, top half, playoffs or better?

Either of the first two, perhaps the third as well and I disagree.

Playoffs or above, absolutely, but the point of getting developing players is so that in 2 years time they will be of that quality.

To make sure we arent in a relegation battle again.

Assuming the young players we signed a year ago have all improved, and taking into account we signed 4 in January and another 2 in the last couple of weeks then we should have plenty in numbers and enough quality for at least mid-table if not better. I think Flint is likely to go if we get a decent offer as we have plenty of cover at CB. Re GK Frankie is good enough, his only problem is injuries. I thought Lucic looked OK in the couple of games I've seen him but not sure LJ has faith in him (or he wouldn't have signed Giefer).

5 hours ago, Ska Junkie said:

Then again, 2 months ago, who was Famara Diedhou?

A player who I thought would go to a bigger and better club than us. I really think we stole a march on him. Maybe some form of gentleman's agreement or good relationship from the Kodjia deal and the subsequent sell-on fee they got?

Still require first 11 quality. I would have concerns moving into the season without another new striker, no Fielding upgrade, someone with goals in them from midfield, someone who has a final ball and a out and out left back. 

The above is just to compete.

All "football manager" stuff but Reid, O'Neil, Golbourne and Bryan  should all be chopped for me. 

Jurys out on Djuric and Taylor whilst Engvall appears to remain out the picture. 

A big few weeks ahead for me. 

Barnsley should be an interesting one.  

12 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Hodor - same as Wright.

Were still shy on experience, and with the major doubts about Gus still a striker short IMO...also a right winger needed.

Would say I'd be very,very concerned indeed if we were to go with what we have now in a possibly stronger division than last season...plus if we were to lose flint and not replace I'd go as far as to say we were in the shit(again).

We have a big squad already, we don't need more depth in terms of signing players of a similar standard to what we already have. Rather see 1 quality signing than 4 'squad' players. Although the GK position seems to concern a lot of people, for me if we could make 1 more quality signing it would be a combative, creative, goal scoring midfielder, i.e. a significant upgrade on a 'Bobby Reid' type.

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

We have a big squad already, we don't need more depth in terms of signing players of a similar standard to what we already have. Rather see 1 quality signing than 4 'squad' players. Although the GK position seems to concern a lot of people, for me if we could make 1 more quality signing it would be a combative, creative, goal scoring midfielder, i.e. a significant upgrade on a 'Bobby Reid' type.

Completely agree John Bostock and Marcus Bettinelli will do me fine

1 hour ago, Engvall's Splinter said:

Still require first 11 quality. I would have concerns moving into the season without another new striker, no Fielding upgrade, someone with goals in them from midfield, someone who has a final ball and a out and out left back. 

The above is just to compete.

All "football manager" stuff but Reid, O'Neil, Golbourne and Bryan  should all be chopped for me. 

Jurys out on Djuric and Taylor whilst Engvall appears to remain out the picture. 

A big few weeks ahead for me. 

Barnsley should be an interesting one.  

Why Bryan?

Is it only me that doesn't see that we have a 'big' squad? Take out the players who may be made available for loan and doesn't seem massive - around 22-24 players if I'm not forgetting people. I think some forget how crazy small the squad was under Cotterill and thus think we now have a big squad. I'd say it's now been taken up to average size.

A bit unbalanced in certain areas but seems like it would be on the smaller side for the Championship. 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

A player who I thought would go to a bigger and better club than us. I really think we stole a march on him. Maybe some form of gentleman's agreement or good relationship from the Kodjia deal and the subsequent sell-on fee they got?

I really think that`s it TBH. We obviously have a good business relationship with Angers. We probably pay our bills to them when due and don`t bugger them about and that is very important to clubs like that. I`m sure other clubs would mess them about and delay things as long as they could but I don`t think that`s SL`s way somehow.

Getting a reputation in France of being a club that is a good one to do business with can only be a good thing IMO.

Archived