IGNORED

Wayne Rooney

JakeOTIB

Gives him a better chance of getting to the world cup. He should've been in the most recent squad instead of Defoe if you were going off of form. 

I hope we can see the Rooney of old come back for a season or two, for football's sake.

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Poor signing. Not been good for years. 

I think that's a bit harsh, but for the probably astronomical wages he's on I'm not sure it's a great signing

5 minutes ago, JakeOTIB said:

I hope you're joking?

Most overrated player of his generation. He was not a patch on scholes in terms of ability and footballing brain.

Good player but massively overhyped... imo

Just now, TRL said:

Most overrated player of his generation. He was not a patch on scholes in terms of ability and footballing brain.

Good player but massively overhyped... imo

We're talking about, at the time, a striker, and a creative midfielder? Don't see how you can compare the two.

22 minutes ago, JakeOTIB said:

Depends where he plays to be honest. I'm not sure if he's Lukaku's replacement and if he is, that's not really a good replacement... Heard they're in for Giroud.

With Barkley supposedly available (not signed a new contract with a year left on his current deal), he could easily play that #10 role or as the 2nd striker.

They have supposedly got him for free with Man Utd paying half of his wages so that'll still leave Everton paying about £150k p/w & whatever his signing on fee was (which I wouldn't imagine was peanuts).

Everton have also signed the Spanish U21 forward Ramirez & a few younger midfielders, so they could be vastly improved as a team compared to the last few seasons.

I wouldn't right Rooney off just yet.

12 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

We're talking about, at the time, a striker, and a creative midfielder? Don't see how you can compare the two.

Easily. I am comparing how overated one was compared to another. What position they play is neither here or there

49 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Gives him a better chance of getting to the world cup. He should've been in the most recent squad instead of Defoe if you were going off of form. 

I hope we can see the Rooney of old come back for a season or two, for football's sake.

Please,please-its time Engerland moved forwards & away from Rooney-'ees had his day..move on.

Just now, Robert the bruce said:

Please,please-its time Engerland moved forwards & away from Rooney-'ees had his day..move on.

Indeed, Rooney hasn't been great for a few years now,

he'll still do you a job however but we have better strikers in England then him

My issue with regards Rooney is the moving him about so much (in regards to playing position), he's England's & Man Utd's record goal scorer so what makes anyone think he's suddenly become a midfielder?

He clearly knows how to score goals & in the last couple of seasons Man Utd have failed to play him in his natural position, now that maybe down to the managers chosen formation & Rooney not being the best available option for that chosen formation (in the managers view).

But up top with someone alongside him, I believe he could still do a job, he is still only 31 years-old, so should have a couple of seasons left in him.

51 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

Think this will give him a whole new lease of life and we'll see 3-4 good seasons from him there.

Agree, I expect him to score 20 plus goals this season.

Everton are building a decent team for next season, expect them to still sign a centre forward 

On a free, it's an absolute no brainer for me. From a business & profile point of view it will be brilliant. Most importantly you are getting a good footballer, his best days are gone, but still a good footballer. You are also going to get a born winner & someone with a great attitude. You only have to look at how he handled himself last season, when not playing & getting dropped from England squads because of it. Lesser profile players would of kicked up a right stink in the same situation. Yet he just towed the line & played when asked. IMO he still has a couple years left at the top, so a 2 year deal is perfect for both parties. If played up top & regular, I would think he will still get 15 - 20 goals this season. COYR

the stats and medal cabinet show he's had a fantastic career, but I'll always be left thinking he didn't quite fulfill his potential to become one of the best players on the planet. Seems a pretty good signing for Everton, but I was under the impression the fans think of him as a traitorous turncoat?? 

1 hour ago, TRL said:

Easily. I am comparing how overated one was compared to another. What position they play is neither here or there

He wasn't as much of a bottle job though as scholes was he!! 

I'm sure Rooney will look back at his career as Manchester United's and England's top scorer and will think he's done ok!! 

Archived