IGNORED

Striker injuries - Bobby Reid

Davefevs

1 minute ago, Nibor said:

I suspect against lower level opposition he has more freedom and it's much easier to get into the box.  The two things Reid really needs to improve are his decision making with the ball which at times can be over elaborate, and his positioning / tracking off the ball.  He's a decent player but he needs to kick on quite a bit if he's going to play regularly in the Championship.  Could he play up front?  Given his size he'd need to be very quick or very clever in his movement.  In a pinch maybe but I'd think a more likely possibility was as a wide player.

I agree entirely, he could be so much better, the word 'casual' comes to mind.

I think it is down to LJ realising that 442 kept us up last season and that we need two holding midfielders in the centre of the park to stop teams walking through our midfield to attack our slow defenders with pace. This however means we have no room for attacking midfielders in the centre of the park – see last season and the whole issue of trying to fit in Tomlin. Brownhill has been moved out from the centre to the right, but it leaves Reid with few options as he is not a ball winning holding style midfielder. As others have said, I guess LJ is trying to find a place for him as a false 9, given Reid’s ability to get forward and play quick one twos, like he did with Tomlin at the start of last season and the end of the previous one. Again, as others have said, in a role similar to the one Taylor filled. Judging by the spat of current injuries throughout our strikers (Djuric, Taylor, Engvall?), perhaps Tomlin leaving for Baa-diff, this seems worthwhile as a contingency plan.

9 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

It wasn't a dig at you mate. I meant the fact that LJ even thought to play him at striker made me chuckle after he's previously mentioned how good he'd be if only he could hit the target!

Bit touchy wasn't I :P

Archived