IGNORED

Gary O'Neil

Wolf Island

13 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I was disappointed by his weary , powder puff crosses and free kicks but at the beginning he ran the show .

He may have burnt out .

This may just be me but my impression was he ran out of the will/want to play In the same way Tomlin did. I think LJ would let him go in a heartbeat if someone wanted him and I think the player would not let the door bang him on the ass on the way out.

2 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Wants a Millwall move

To be honest it's not difficult if thats what he wants to do. He can rip up his contract with us and sign for them on 3k a week. That won't hurt their budget too much.

But then again when was the last time a modern footballer done something for their love of the game and not their bank balance. 

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

As others have said I think he (and we) wants to go to Millwall.

Even if they were interested we'd end up subsidising his wages.

Graham would rather compromise and pay as will save against a whole year of sat in the stands or back in his house at London.Cannot see him starting or playing too much so best option.  

5 hours ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Should he stay or should he go?  On the one hand he's permanently injured, no doubt on high wages, commutes from London and we have cover in his position.

On the other he brings undoubted quality and experience (including of promotion) which could help a young squad.

On balance I think I'd say keep him but what do others think?

In reality, no one is likely to come in for him especially on the wages he's rumoured to be on here!

So what's the chances of him just walking away?

I would say that whether we want him here or not, he'll be staying unless we pay him off.

When fit he was one of our best players on the pitch...imho.  No-one in our midfield won a 40:60 challenge all season apart from GON.  We just didn't get a fit GON on the pitch often enough.

Why was that?

I do wonder whether he disliked the way LT went about his 'work' on the pitch and in training, and probably fell out with LJ as LT kept getting away with it.  Wasn't there a rumour that GON went to SL?

I won't write him off yet, but he's gonna be a few weeks behind everyone, or perhaps he's just sorting out a move.  You'd expect him to be seen 'reporting for duty', even if it's lightweight stuff.

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I do wonder whether he disliked the way LT went about his 'work' on the pitch and in training, and probably fell out with LJ as LT kept getting away with it.  Wasn't there a rumour that GON went to SL?

Interesting theory would like to know the truth behind it, it seems Tomlin was a malign and pervasive influence. 

1 minute ago, Londoner said:

Our best midfielder.....when fit.....which is almost never.

Due to that and his age let him go....what I will say is that when playing regularly he was very very good indeed. 

But he's old....which is probably the only reason why we got him....

Talk at the time was that Norwich would only give him a year but we offered two - no idea if it`s true or not.

6 hours ago, City1984 said:

All thing considered I'd like to be saying goodbye. 

Been a massive disappointment for me who along side Tomlin, feels like a complete waste of a healthy wage.

Both were a big disapointment last season,the two highest earners who must of been on around £45-£50 grand a week between them.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

When fit he was one of our best players on the pitch...imho.  No-one in our midfield won a 40:60 challenge all season apart from GON.  We just didn't get a fit GON on the pitch often enough.

Why was that?

I won't write him off yet, but he's gonna be a few weeks behind everyone, or perhaps he's just sorting out a move.  You'd expect him to be seen 'reporting for duty', even if it's lightweight stuff.

Wasn't the story that LT and GON together went to SL?

7 hours ago, Ser Davos Ciderworth said:

Should he stay or should he go?  On the one hand he's permanently injured, no doubt on high wages, commutes from London and we have cover in his position.

On the other he brings undoubted quality and experience (including of promotion) which could help a young squad.

On balance I think I'd say keep him but what do others think?

Cheerio from me. Pack offers way more than GON for me. 

Not quite stealing a wage but he aint far off!

8 hours ago, pride of the west said:

But then again when was the last time a modern footballer done something for their love of the game and not their bank balance. 

On ripping up of contracts...I googled it and all I got was one entry.. Something about an Ashton Gate 8.

10 minutes ago, cynic said:

LJ called Tomlin Fatty and made him cry.

The Tomlin called LJ shortarse and that made him cry.

Since then, they've not spoken.

Apparently.

The truth hurts.

• Admin
19 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I wonder how many minutes GON and Tomlin spent on the pitch together from Sheffield Wednesday (away) til the end of the season?  Just saying :whistle:

Ignoring stoppage time, they spent 1091 minutes together on the pitch post Sheff Weds away. 

Source: soccerbase

3 hours ago, cynic said:

LJ called Tomlin Fatty and made him cry.

The Tomlin called LJ shortarse and that made him cry.

Since then, they've not spoken.

Apparently.

Johnson told tomlin if he didn't stop calling him names he'd tell his dad not to pick him

Sometimes experienced signings make sense and work well - e.g. Wilbraham.  Sometimes they don't.  O'Neill is sadly in the latter category.

If you're going to bring in this sort of player they need to be in the team running things every week, and for whatever reason he fell out of favour quite quickly.  

If he wants a move I'd let him go provided we're not paying up the rest of his contract.

Archived