IGNORED

A good read for you rallway nostalgia fans

Lanterne Rouge

I`m at the moment about three quarters of the way through `The Trains Now Departed` by Michael Williams. I love a good railway nostalgia book but I have to say this is one of the best and most absorbing I have ever read. Sixteen chapters which are long enough to fully cover the lines/trains being written about and it really gets you almost experiencing what it must have been like to travel on them. For local folks there`s a chapter on the Somerset & Dorset, the Stratford & Midland Junction and the Barnstaple & Lynton. I`m just about to start the chapter on the `withered arm` as it was called by Betjeman, the lost lines of Devon & Cornwall.

I picked it up at The Works for three quid, don`t know if they still stock it but it is well worth seeking out if you like this kind of thing - you won`t be disappointed.

• Admin
15 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I`m at the moment about three quarters of the way through `The Trains Now Departed` by Michael Williams. I love a good railway nostalgia book but I have to say this is one of the best and most absorbing I have ever read. Sixteen chapters which are long enough to fully cover the lines/trains being written about and it really gets you almost experiencing what it must have been like to travel on them. For local folks there`s a chapter on the Somerset & Dorset, the Stratford & Midland Junction and the Barnstaple & Lynton. I`m just about to start the chapter on the `withered arm` as it was called by Betjeman, the lost lines of Devon & Cornwall.

I picked it up at The Works for three quid, don`t know if they still stock it but it is well worth seeking out if you like this kind of thing - you won`t be disappointed.

For Sale HERE

Archived