IGNORED

Dr Who

phantom

The best argument for the Dr being a man is that male role models tend to be confident, aggressive, and often get into fights (James Bond, The Sweeney, The Professionals, Arnie, Jean Claude van Damme, Rocky) whereas with Dr Who you had an awkward outsider who actively avoided any fighting, was often unsure of himself and always trying to do the right thing.

As Toby Hadoke  said in his autobiographical piece "Moths ate my Dr Who scarf" this was a male role model that appealed to a weak nerdy kid, useless at sports, and being raised by a single mother so with no close real life role model.  He was all the things Toby was yet he got to win.

This is a rare role model for boys who can't relate to the rough tough image; and now it has been taken away from them.

7 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

This is a rare role model for boys who can't relate to the rough tough image; and now it has been taken away from them.

True, but it will return soon enough, nothing wrong with the girls having a turn for a while.

1 minute ago, richwwtk said:

True, but it will return soon enough, nothing wrong with the girls having a turn for a while.

I don't think it will. The writing and ideas have collapsed and the last series, despite having someone as good as Peter Capaldi playing the Dr lost viewers in droves.

It's already dying and in need of a good long break again and I expect the next series to be as much of a disaster as Chris Evans' Top Gear.

Though that was because Chris Evans is a ****.

In Dr Who's case I think it's just run out of steam and would have been a disaster whoever got cast, man or woman, so I won't be laying the blame at her door as she's a decent actress.

19 hours ago, Eddie Hitler said:

I don't think it will. The writing and ideas have collapsed and the last series, despite having someone as good as Peter Capaldi playing the Dr lost viewers in droves.

It's already dying and in need of a good long break again and I expect the next series to be as much of a disaster as Chris Evans' Top Gear.

Though that was because Chris Evans is a ****.

In Dr Who's case I think it's just run out of steam and would have been a disaster whoever got cast, man or woman, so I won't be laying the blame at her door as she's a decent actress.

since it came back it avg 7.2 million viewers then started to drop, it's now at 5.5 million, when you compare this to most other shows, it shows that it's holding on quite well, this only includes the bbc one views, it doesn't include international or online views,

I'd say that its going strong and will continue to do so for many years still

Archived