IGNORED

Defensive issues and defensive coaching

Berkshire Red

Based on newspaper reports today Joe Bryan is a player seemingly deemed good enough for Middlesbrough, hull and Leeds.

Aden flint has got several top end championship clubs / premier league clubs looking at him.

Bailey Wright is an Australian international.

Hörður Magnússon was a player on the books at juventus.

Taylor Moore was captain of the England u19s.

Luke ayling went on and turned out to be on of the best defenders in the league this season but seemingly couldn't get in the team at bristol.

I don't understand with all the above, how can we have been so bad defensively the last 2 seasons? Do you think the issue is with the defensive coaching? Is this lee Johnson or is there a specific defensive coach? If so do you think this is something we should be looking at replacing rather than getting new players in? Maybe you feel this isn't an issue but on so many occasions it seems we conceded very sloppy goals and that our defence has been all over the place? While Aden flint I believe has been one of our best players these last few seasons, Maybe he isn't a good player to be leading the defence? 

18 minutes ago, city2015 said:

Based on newspaper reports today Joe Bryan is a player seemingly deemed good enough for Middlesbrough, hull and Leeds.

Aden flint has got several top end championship clubs / premier league clubs looking at him.

Luke ayling went on and turned out to be on of the best defenders in the league this season but seemingly couldn't get in the team at bristol.

I don't understand with all the above, how can we have been so bad defensively the last 2 seasons? Do you think the issue is with the defensive coaching? Is this lee Johnson or is there a specific defensive coach? If so do you think this is something we should be looking at replacing rather than getting new players in? Maybe you feel this isn't an issue but on so many occasions it seems we conceded very sloppy goals and that our defence has been all over the place? While Aden flint I believe has been one of our best players these last few seasons, Maybe he isn't a good player to be leading the defence? 

Being the for ever optimist with Pembo gone I hope Holden will sort out the defence. Can see us scoring for fun if this happens.

Its a real puzzle but one that we don't seem to be able to solve.

Look at the goal we conceded last Saturday at Yeovil. Lost the ball ten yards inside our half and one guys runs 30 yards and sticks it in the net.

Yes I know it only a pre season warm up bu so reminiscent of plenty we've conceded on the last two years.

A lack of pace in midfield and back four? Or players just not good enough?

1 hour ago, Woodsy said:

Presumably was Pembo now it's Holden who take the defensive training, with them being defenders I'm putting 2 and 2 together rather than any knowledge

Been a concern for a while

10 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

So is Macca our attacking coach?

When they did the double interview they said they shared responsibilities 

Said on another thread that I don't think it is all down to the defence. Towards the end of last season, we looked better defensively with the work rate of Brownhill and Paterson on the flanks and also Taylor. Paterson in particular was as impressive defensively as he was offensively, and highlighted what we lacked when Tomlin played on the left.

2 hours ago, city2015 said:

Very few clubs have defensive coaches. Very few.

The issue was Lee Johnson and his team selections and tactics. It was not unknown last season for City to play multiple formations in games. At Leeds City played three formations in one half. No coach could run training sessions to cope with that amount of chaos.

The defence improved when Mr Johnson decided to stop meddling with team selections and varying ways of defending.

Archived