IGNORED

Premier League Spending

MC RISK77

On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 06:43, ElTanko said:

It's disgusting the amount of money being spent for 'success'. It's foreign owners wanting a new toy and ruining it for the rest of us. It's only really over here though, other countries keep prices fairly low overall. 

When youthink, 20 years ago, Alan shearer for £15 mil was a world record and turning heads, and he is one of the best strikers ever. Now you get overrated tossers like John stones and raheem sterling for £50 mil!! And it's spent like it's pocket money. I can't stand the premier league anymore and never really watch it, I never recognise any of the foreign names and the overall style and fun of it has turned into a puddle of piss. I could rant all day!! 

Its market forces. The EPL has not been ruined in the sense that it continues to succeed. Mr Scudamore simply has to point towards its growing income and global influence, which will continue - These Foreign owners buy clubs not because they are toys but because of geopolitical reasons. 

Twenty ears ago is meaningless because the income has grown ten fold, then ten fold again and that feeds the transfer fees. Stones and Stirling are not overpriced (overated) because that is their worth in the EPL, because the EPL clubs agree the players are worth those sums, because its only the EPL market with its billions of revenue that pays the sums.

1 hour ago, MarkRed! said:

It is nuts. Crazy spending but generally it is an English thing. You dont see Bayern or Juventus spending 50 million on the likes of Kyle Walker. Bonnuci (class defender) 30 million, Walker 50 Million. No logic. Barkley, Sigurdson are not worth 50 million either. Stupid money. 

This is why our game is in trouble, as this is money coming out of the game lining the pockets of agents and players. The TV bubble will burst at some point, it always does..... I think the FA and Premier League should look at bringing in a salary cap and also making it mandatory to have a certain number of young players in the first team, as they do in Germany. It is crazy for these clubs to hoover up all the young players and never play them. If Tammy was German he would be playing in the Bundesliga right now, yet he has no chance at Chelsea and will just be sent out on loan year after year....such a shame. How many of our U21 players are first team regulars = not many.  

The authorities should also look at the parachute payments. It gives clubs coming out of the PL such an unfair advantage. Middlesborough and Sunderland got about 100 milion each for being relegated! They will then get a cut of the PL TV money as parachute payments for the next 3 seasons. Middlesborough have already spent 40 million.... crazy money. Creates a distorted market and an uneven playing field. 

Partly because Sunderland made more by finishing bottom last season then Juve and Bayern did for winning their leagues. 

1 hour ago, BA14 RED said:

For me though it's the whole Prem that needs to do one essentially.

Smaller clubs have sold their soul to simply try and compete with the big boys. For example Southampton and Bournemouth.

I NEVER want Bristol City to become like them, I would not care if we never reached 'the big time'.

OK Steve, we understand that being the owner can be a difficult job but don't give your critics to much ammunition about lack of ambition. :)

17 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

If someone had said to me ten years ago that in the future a premier league club would sign a player for £8m and I would have to google his name to find out who he was as I`d never heard of him I wouldn`t have believed them.

If someone had said to me ten years ago that in the future a premier league club Bristol City would sign a player for £8m £5m  and I would have to google his name to find out who he was as I`d never heard of him I wouldn`t have believed them.

2 hours ago, MarkRed! said:

It is nuts. Crazy spending but generally it is an English thing.

If you look at the history of transfer records, apart from Pogba, it has been set by Italian clubs and Real Madrid. So it isn't generally an English thing.

On 7/26/2017 at 13:07, jj77 said:

If you look at the history of transfer records, apart from Pogba, it has been set by Italian clubs and Real Madrid. So it isn't generally an English thing.

True - but the difference is that the big European teams spent £££ on marquee signings - Zidane, Figo, etc... the English clubs are spending 40 million players on bang average players who would not get into those big sides. Unless I am wrong, Gareth Bale is the only marquee British player playing abroad.... you dont see any of those European teams spending 50 million on Walker or the likes of Barkley. 

Archived