IGNORED

Burton Home game Moved

Red Army 75

What about this idea to settle things, none of this taking in turns which isn't the fairest anyway. I'm suggesting the team whose fans have to travel the shorter distance should be the ones inconvenienced. In this case, after a quick Google, Oxford is 73 miles from Bristol and Burton is 123. Isn't this more logical? 

I would be saying this if it were the other way round, I'm not favouring us by the way.

5 minutes ago, RedM said:

What about this idea to settle things, none of this taking in turns which isn't the fairest anyway. I'm suggesting the team whose fans have to travel the shorter distance should be the ones inconvenienced. In this case, after a quick Google, Oxford is 73 miles from Bristol and Burton is 123. Isn't this more logical? 

I would be saying this if it were the other way round, I'm not favouring us by the way.

To be honest, I don't know why both teams can't play at home on the same day. We're only talking about 30k fans across both games, small beer compared to some cities on a Saturday. 

18 minutes ago, glynriley said:

To be honest, I don't know why both teams can't play at home on the same day. We're only talking about 30k fans across both games, small beer compared to some cities on a Saturday. 

Well yes exactly, that would be even more logical than my solution.

32 minutes ago, glynriley said:

…and most of those will be outside :ph34r:

On 25 July 2017 at 15:21, phantom said:

Agree that it is piss poor planning by the fixture compilers - Can only assume as it is Oxford playing Rovers that A&S didn't fancy both sides being at home that day?

Am sure there Rovers - Oxford game always has a bit of "niggle" associated with it?

Does that sound correct @JulieH?

During the close season all football league clubs and football leads from all police forces indicate on a form any special requests.

it is no secret that Avon and Somerset police have requested that both Bristol clubs do not play home on the same day.

this fixture is one of a few that clashes and it was agreed between both clubs that city v burton would move. The police have no involvement as to who moves or to when, I understand the clubs get together and discuss it on a match by match basis. 

The last 2 seasons home games for rovers v Oxford have been policed by 3 seriels of police officers so although not massive policing numbers it has still had a police input. On both these occasions small groups of Oxford fans drank in the city centre area which wgen city are  also home can  be used by groups of city fans prematch.

hope this helps clarifies!!

17 minutes ago, JulieH said:

During the close season all football league clubs and football leads from all police forces indicate on a form any special requests.

it is no secret that Avon and Somerset police have requested that both Bristol clubs do not play home on the same day.

this fixture is one of a few that clashes and it was agreed between both clubs that city v burton would move. The police have no involvement as to who moves or to when, I understand the clubs get together and discuss it on a match by match basis. 

The last 2 seasons home games for rovers v Oxford have been policed by 3 seriels of police officers so although not massive policing numbers it has still had a police input. On both these occasions small groups of Oxford fans drank in the city centre area which wgen city are  also home can  be used by groups of city fans prematch.

Not really @JulieH  

Why should Oxford fans & City fans not be able to both drink in the city centre. Isn't that boardering on fascism..?

I might mean a patrol is needed, incase of a few supporters being idiots, but that's the polices job. 

It's a sad state of affairs when the police in a city the size of Bristol can't cope with 30,000 football fans on the same day. 

God forbid any of you ever get transferred to Birmingham or London, they seem to manage ok. 

Just now, Bar BS3 said:

Not really @JulieH  

Why should Oxford fans & City fans not be able to both drink in the city centre. Isn't that boardering on fascism..?

I might mean a patrol is needed, incase of a few supporters being idiots, but that's the polices job. 

It's a sad state of affairs when the police in a city the size of Bristol can't cope with 30,000 football fans on the same day. 

God forbid any of you ever get transferred to Birmingham or London, they seem to manage ok. 

if football fans in general behaved themselves then the games wouldn't be moved sadly

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

if football fans in general behaved themselves then the games wouldn't be moved sadly

Of course! I fully agree. 

Can the police update us on arrest figures from the last time City & Rovers played at home on the same day, to support their claims about us being unable to behave like normal human beings..? Could they compare those figures to those of any given Friday/Saturday night in the town centre..?

I'm interested to hear the measures being taken to stop City fans entering the vacinity of the City centre on the Saturday, where these Oxford fans will be. Or is ok then, because they are classed as civilians and not football fans..? 

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Of course! I fully agree. 

Can the police update us on arrest figures from the last time City & Rovers played at home on the same day, to support their claims about us being unable to behave like normal human beings..? Could they compare those figures to those of any given Friday/Saturday night in the town centre..?

I'm interested to hear the measures being taken to stop City fans entering the vacinity of the City centre on the Saturday, where these Oxford fans will be. Or is ok then, because they are classed as civilians and not football fans..? 

I can't tell you of arrest figures, I can tell you that they had to get south wales finest over on that night though because of issues

Edit: saying that I may be thinking of another night........... I'll clarify later

38 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Not really @JulieH  

You are indeed correct it is our job to prevent disorder associated with a minority of fans in relation to football matches.

it is also our job to provide an effcient  front line response to 999 calls and to ensure the safety of communities  and in order to continue to do this to the best of our ability we need a fully resourced front line.

taking officers from this to patrol the city centre for potential issues is resource intensive, we have to risk assess it, how many officers should be there? 2 could be enough if quiet but if disorder breaks out than clearly more would be needed and those 2 officers assistance would come from front line staff who could be a burglary in Whitchurch  or sitting with a mental health patient in bedminster, they are needed at these as much. 

it is tricky, in an ideal world we should have enough resources to do both but u nfortunately that is no longer the case.

football clubs quite rightly don't pay for police in the city centre on a match day so therefore in order to keep people and communities safe this is the view that is taken. 

I have been involved in quite a lot of football policing in London and Birmingham over the last 15 years, the met numbers off the top of my head are almost triple ours and West Midlands are almost double 

we do our best, sometimes we get it right and sometimes we get it wrong but to prevent it happening is better than it happening and picking up the pieces after. 

1 hour ago, JulieH said:

fair play for coming on here but this bit is utter garbage.

2 minutes ago, JulieH said:

You are indeed correct it is our job to prevent disorder associated with a minority of fans in relation to football matches.

it is also our job to provide an effcient  front line response to 999 calls and to ensure the safety of communities  and in order to continue to do this to the best of our ability we need a fully resourced front line.

taking officers from this to patrol the city centre for potential issues is resource intensive, we have to risk assess it, how many officers should be there? 2 could be enough if quiet but if disorder breaks out than clearly more would be needed and those 2 officers assistance would come from front line staff who could be a burglary in Whitchurch  or sitting with a mental health patient in bedminster, they are needed at these as much. 

it is tricky, in an ideal world we should have enough resources to do both but u nfortunately that is no longer the case.

football clubs quite rightly don't pay for police in the city centre on a match day so therefore in order to keep people and communities safe this is the view that is taken. 

I have been involved in quite a lot of football policing in London and Birmingham over the last 15 years, the met numbers off the top of my head are almost triple ours and West Midlands are almost double 

we do our best, sometimes we get it right and sometimes we get it wrong but to prevent it happening is better than it happening and picking up the pieces after. 

I think you touch on a separate point, the funding to the public service, and cuts to the police force. But that's another topic!

Julie H is just a copper doing her job (& as she is told by superiors) think she does pretty well regarding fan communication tbf ,  its bloody GovernMENTAL cutbacks that cause these problems (one of many in all too many areas of British life nowadays) JH has to put up with frustrating  unsatisfacTORY  situations in the same way as everyone of us have to.... it's not down to individual coppers to have to justify the crap, thats forced on them by politicians, on behalf of those politicians...

Have a go at the powers that be, complaints should be flooding into MP's offices all over the country, (I'm sure they will as more and more of societies structures begin to crumble under the weight of GovernMENTAL financial pressures... and we all begin to feel the pinch) ... Ask these questions of our MP's and local politicians.. they need to put the pressure on where it belongs, in Westminster!  ..Things are only going to deteriorate everywhere in all walks of life until those in ivory towers are forced to get priorities right... (can we really not survive as a country if we don't spends Billions upon Billions of ££££'s on pet projects like the HS2 train set? for instance)

We should be having a go at those at the 'thick end of the political wedge rather than those like the nurses doctors, firemen, teachers, carers and coppers like Julie struggling to maintain things at the thin end' ... It's the politicians who create these situations and its them who should be held to account for rectifying them, both Nationally and Locally...

(waste everywhere, £millions and £millionsof it, (by the way, talking of waste we even struggle to get our bins collected nowadays) ...

Locally we have - Metrobus? (debateable).... the planned carparkless  Arena with its lovely bridge to nowhere.. B&NES and its recently abandoned (millions of ££s later) plans for a Park &Ride at Bathampton.  (can you imagine all the expenses paid 'fact finding missions' travel, accommodation, consultations, meetings, etc etc  involved in these disastrous local white elephants?)

Deal with the shameful official waste that all to often blights our country and its peoples wellbeing and we'd be halfway there to restoring a decent police service and other vital public services.. 

Tackle the MP's ... STOP The Waste! ..pressurise the Government until their pips squeak as painfully as ours...  rearranged football fixtures are just a minor symptom and example of much more serious threats to our way of life which are rapidly hurtling towards us..  it is just the beginning of the 'S**t Hitting The Fan' (pun intended) for all of us.

17 hours ago, RedM said:

Alternatively how many Burton fans would travel to Bristol on a Saturday anyway? Having the more local team on the Saturday could encourage higher attendances at a match. If it were the other way round and we had say Birmingham and Rovers had a team further away would we be happy to move to the Friday because less fans would be inconvenienced? I'd think it more likely we'd be annoyed that less away fans may travel for a local game. 

Archived