IGNORED

Captain Fantastic

David Brent

Impressed with a couple players today but will rather give a real assessment after next weeks game. As i thought Barnsley we're very poor today but i guess you can only beat  whats put in front of you. 

Very happy for Reid though to get those 2 goals fingers cross finally his season.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Was brilliant today. Assured, aggressive and tough. If he keeps this up, I suspect it'll be him attracting the big bids next summer.

Yes!!

People don't notice how well he uses his body to be aggressive to get away with not being tall. Such an astute and aware player! 

But I suppose when people think you can't pass a ball from CB it don't matter :ph34r:

Just now, Tears in rain said:

Yes!!

People don't notice how well he uses his body to be aggressive to get away with not being tall. Such an astute and aware player! 

But I suppose when people think you can't pass a ball from CB it don't matter :ph34r:

We really looked solid today with him and Hegeler. I think he'll thrive off the captaincy too, seems that sort of character.

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

We really looked solid today with him and Hegeler. I think he'll thrive off the captaincy too, seems that sort of character.

Glad to hear it! Hegeler looks like a class player and maybe he isn't as aggressive in nature like Wright but at least he can play from the back and has the hight to help. 

32 minutes ago, cynic said:

A few stand out performances - the back four were excellent, Reid looked a classy player, and Pack was the glue that held it all together.

Three very well taken goals and a shame Reid couldn't get his hat trick, but the front two got three between them so all good.

All in all, that first half was very very good and no surprise that the intensity couldn't carry on after about 60 minutes.

Poor 'ol Famara was knackered after 70 minutes and maybe should have been subbed - but thats just nit picking.

Barnsley ? Only the first game but they look to be this seasons Rotherham - maybe we made them look like it, but they were crap and if we had got the fourth it could have been a cricket score. they didn' deserve a goal and we didn't deserve to concede one.

Good start.

I understand what you say and you are right he did run out of steam, but the game was won and that extra 20 minutes will help towards his overall fitness, I thought LJ got his subs spot on, protect Reid for the next league game put on Engvall give him some hope for the future and go long for the last 20 minutes.

1 hour ago, David Brent said:

Bailey Wright. Been a while since we had a player like that at the back. I know it was only Barnsley but he dealt with everything.

Man of the match, after 2 goal Bobby.

Have just looked through the Marlon Pack topic & as good as Pack was today, I thought Wright was outstanding. Not just how he played, but you could see his organisational skills as well. Colossal performance. COYR

42 minutes ago, Tears in rain said:

Yes!!

Very much reminds me of Louis in that respect. 

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

They are better than Rotherham.... Wright excellent but won't get an easier game this season.

Not on that evidence.

Greater intensity from us would have seen us win by six, their keeper & back four looked like they had never met before for the first hour and they only improved as we lost interest.

I believe they won 2 of their last 15 games of last season, since when they have sold more of their better players and replaced them with several from the lower leagues.

They look a bottom three side for sure on today's performance.

1 hour ago, Londoner said:

They are better than Rotherham.... Wright excellent but won't get an easier game this season.

Burton? Bolton?

I'm not knocking them entirely but Burton were in the mix last year and you wonder how much longer they'll last and Bolton are against the wall already money wise...

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Thought Joe Bryan looked near his best today

Yes, liked his physicality too, got really close to Potts, and Bradshaw when he ventured into Joe's territory.

With the ball he was very good today, and of course the driving run for Reid's tap-in second.  That's what will stand him out as the season progresses.  Just one lapse for me, in second half when Hegeler tidied up behind him.  Linked so well with Paterson.

Back to Wright.  Him and Hegeler started a bit slow, but from 10-12 minutes onwards were assured.  Wright marks so tight,  those little pushes where he uses his weight are what makes it so difficult for his marker to spin or lay off.  Also thought that he proved that you don't need to be 6'5" plus to win ball in the air, both from direct balls forward or crosses from wide.

....and so much more comfortable on the right side of a two where he can use his right foot.

That challenge he made late on going towards Dolman, was a masterclass of both determination and using his body / strength.  He was never better than 45:55 to win it.  Well done BW.

17 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Burton? Bolton?

I'm not knocking them entirely but Burton were in the mix last year and you wonder how much longer they'll last and Bolton are against the wall already money wise...

I think Wilbraham would be a challenge to defend against if he plays. Will give them a tougher game than today. Wily and knows their strengths and weaknesses. 

Burton are an underrated side.. you'd always fancy a small team like them to struggle but they've got a good hard working squad and a few genuinely handy players.

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Loved the crucial tackle he made on the edge of the box, before our rampage had really begun. Precision defending.

That was the high spot of a superb all round performance from him today. He looks twice the player now he`s playing on his preferred side.

The whole back four were excellent today in different ways.

3 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Hegeler mom...quality.now watch Lee drop him.

Was there any need of that second comment!? Some people really need to let go of last season. Fresh season, positive signings and positive pre season and first game. Absolutely no need for negativity.

Archived