IGNORED

Dilemma on the horizon..

Negan

No it's not the name of the next big blockbuster movie, although note to self that would be an awesome movie name... 

no no it's the arrival of Eliasson, Baker and the new keeper. Bakers here already but the other 2 look likely this week. Now comes the Dilemma for Johnson. I'd imagine Eliasson, should he be fully match fit will be knocking on the door straight away, he's a left winger so that's probably where he'll play, which would mean Pato would have to move to the right as I don't think he can be dropped. Which is where the dilema comes in. I think in Brownhill we have a great player, he's more a CM than he is a RM. So does he keep his place in the team and if so who misses out, would it be Smith or Pack? LJ said only yesterday the team is built around Pack at the moment so that would mean Smiths position is the one under threat.. but could you drop Korey for Josh? 

The next Dilemma, Baker is now available. Wright is captain so he's safe, Hegeler has impressed Johnson over pre season and in yesterday's win, some little concerns about whether he's good enough for that position but he showed qualities we don't have in the CB position yesterday, he can take the ball out and be the extra man in midfield. Now does Johnson drop Hegeler for Baker? He cost us a lot and is much more experienced at this level but does Jens deserve to be dropped? 

Then there is poor old Frankie, have we ever had a keeper that's been dropped so consistently only to replace his replacement later on in the season?... hopefully we finally get it right with our next GK choice and we don't have to keep swapping them throughout, but Fielding has done well all pre season, had a decent game yesterday and towards then end of last season made some very important saves, so does he deserved to be dropped?

We so obviously need more signings but the team at the moment doesn't really need replacing. A hard one for our head coach and there is still the battle to hold on to Bryan and get a great deal for Flint. Mind you these are all great problems to have, some really tough decisions to be made for the management staff. The Birmingham line up will be an interesting one to say the least.. 

Just now, Super said:

New keeper starts as does baker alongside wright. The new winger prob will but decision is whether it is brownhill or Patto that make way.

Yep this for me...pack and smith stay in the middle they were an integral part of our run to survival last year. I like brownhill but if he has to spend some time on the bench then so be it.

20 minutes ago, Super said:

New keeper starts as does baker alongside wright. The new winger prob will but decision is whether it is brownhill or Patto that make way.

Saw Baker at Taunton and he doesn't look like he will be ready for about 4 weeks - I think Jens has a serious opportunity to make that position his.

I'm not sure Frankie has done anything to be dropped and I think dropping him would send a poor message.

I would prefer to see Brownhill playing - but that's more about unlocking his potential rather than thinking he is better than Patto or Smith.

Quite straightforward for me

Eleven have possession of the shirts and until the point of injury or a loss of form keep it the same 

Every player should know it's their task / challenge  to keep the shirt , whether they have it now , or once they get their chance , and those not in the 11 should be pushing , trying to impress , to get their chance

Please no tinkering 

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Ekeven have possession of the shirts and until the point of injury or a loss of form keep it the same 

WEvery player should know it's their task to keep the shirt , once they get their chance , and those not in the 11 should be pushing , trying to impress , to get their chance

Please no tinkering 

Agreed with this we've just started the season in quality manner so let's see how the next league game goes with the same side.

If Hegeler is not fit then you get forced to make a change so be it. 

1 hour ago, Tuggin over Tomlin said:

No it's not the name of the next big blockbuster movie, although note to self that would be an awesome movie name... 

no no it's the arrival of Eliasson, Baker and the new keeper. Bakers here already but the other 2 look likely this week. Now comes the Dilemma for Johnson. I'd imagine Eliasson, should he be fully match fit will be knocking on the door straight away, he's a left winger so that's probably where he'll play, which would mean Pato would have to move to the right as I don't think he can be dropped. Which is where the dilema comes in. I think in Brownhill we have a great player, he's more a CM than he is a RM. So does he keep his place in the team and if so who misses out, would it be Smith or Pack? LJ said only yesterday the team is built around Pack at the moment so that would mean Smiths position is the one under threat.. but could you drop Korey for Josh? 

The next Dilemma, Baker is now available. Wright is captain so he's safe, Hegeler has impressed Johnson over pre season and in yesterday's win, some little concerns about whether he's good enough for that position but he showed qualities we don't have in the CB position yesterday, he can take the ball out and be the extra man in midfield. Now does Johnson drop Hegeler for Baker? He cost us a lot and is much more experienced at this level but does Jens deserve to be dropped? 

Then there is poor old Frankie, have we ever had a keeper that's been dropped so consistently only to replace his replacement later on in the season?... hopefully we finally get it right with our next GK choice and we don't have to keep swapping them throughout, but Fielding has done well all pre season, had a decent game yesterday and towards then end of last season made some very important saves, so does he deserved to be dropped?

We so obviously need more signings but the team at the moment doesn't really need replacing. A hard one for our head coach and there is still the battle to hold on to Bryan and get a great deal for Flint. Mind you these are all great problems to have, some really tough decisions to be made for the management staff. The Birmingham line up will be an interesting one to say the least.. 

This is why LJ is paid huge sums of money to make these decisions.

In truth you can't please everyone all the time but you can please some of them some of the time .

Every decision must be made for the good of the team and I trust LJ to accept the knocks as well as the plaudits .

I liked Hegeler in the CB role yesterday, comfortable on the ball and stepped up well into midfield on a number of occasions, but Barnsley were weak and it remains to be seen if he can handle the movement and physicality of better forwards and better sides. Don't be too surprised if, in such circumstances, LJ plays horses for courses. 

If Eliason comes in then I would expect one of Brownhill or Paterson to drop to the bench, but it may not be immediate. Eliasson may have to wait his turn. 

• Admin

With the exception of the full backs in the system LJ uses, the CMs generally do the most running in a team. 46 games is a huge amount of running. If we stick to playing  2 central midfielders, there's 92 starting spots over the season, having 3 CMs of similar standard allows them each to start around 30 games and stay fresh throughout the season.

Same eleven for me until form/injury dictates otherwise. And not just after one bad performance when I say form. We have a young bunch who should & seem like they all want to improve, competition will only help in this process. Just on a side note, people mentioning that our wide 2 are not wide men, I think this is exactly what LJ wants at the minute. They naturally tuck in, giving Bryan & Pisano space to move forward & the opposition a conundrum to solve. Certainly nice to have options, as long as the personalities in the group are of the correct type. COYR

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Eleven have possession of the shirts and until the point of injury or a loss of form keep it the same 

Every player should know it's their task / challenge  to keep the shirt , whether they have it now , or once they get their chance , and those not in the 11 should be pushing , trying to impress , to get their chance

Please no tinkering 

Interesting after the game on RB LJ said 'I don't want to be the tinkerman' when asked about what the line-up for Tuesday would be.

He was the very definition of a tinkerman for the majority of last season until the last 6 games.

Here's hoping the post-match comment from him yesterday is an example of lesson learnt. I agree with you that players who've done well should keep the shirt.

Personally though I'd expect Baker to come into the starting 11 as soon as he's match fit.

3 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

Same eleven for me until form/injury dictates otherwise. And not just after one bad performance when I say form. We have a young bunch who should & seem like they all want to improve, competition will only help in this process. Just on a side note, people mentioning that our wide 2 are not wide men, I think this is exactly what LJ wants at the minute. They naturally tuck in, giving Bryan & Pisano space to move forward & the opposition a conundrum to solve. Certainly nice to have options, as long as the personalities in the group are of the correct type. COYR

Think that matches what LJ said about a narrower pitch suiting our style more. 

One thing I'd like to see more is the "opposite" full backs attacking a cross at the back post. Didn't really happen yesterday, for instance Bryan attacking the back post when Pisano is crossing.

Based upon the style of play yesterday I think rotation of the midfield players will be inevitable. We played a high tempo pressing game and I don't think our players can do that Saturday and Tuesday week in, week out.

So, whilst Brownhill and or / Smith may drop to the bench from time to time I think we'll see them feature heavily. If they don't start they'll get at least 30 mins.

1 hour ago, Simon79 said:

Yes but there will be times when we need width and I don't think Brownhill can provide that, he can do a job but a winger he is not, but as other have said, that 11 won the game yesterday so they don't deserved to be dropped for brum. Would definitely have a change of team for the cup game though. Give the younger lads like Moore, Vyner and De Girolamo go, Plymouth is about the level they can compete with comfortably so it will be good to see what they can do. 

3 hours ago, Tuggin over Tomlin said:

Great post. I think the outfield dilemmas are a huge positive - once we get into Sat-midweek-Sat, suspensions and injuries we'll have quality ready to step straight into the team.

Also can be a bit more horses for courses; for example Hegeler in defence where we think we'll be dominant and need to build from the back, Brownhill on the right slotting in versus teams with quality central mids or playing three across.

2 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Interesting after the game on RB LJ said 'I don't want to be the tinkerman' when asked about what the line-up for Tuesday would be.

He was the very definition of a tinkerman for the majority of last season until the last 6 games.

Here's hoping the post-match comment from him yesterday is an example of lesson learnt. I agree with you that players who've done well should keep the shirt.

Personally though I'd expect Baker to come into the starting 11 as soon as he's match fit.

I should imagine Baker would come straight in if Flint leaves - can't see Hegeler as a first choice CB, useful as he is.

Also, I can't see Eliasson coming here without an assurance that he will get an early chance. It might start with a 30 minute sub appearance, but I doubt he'd be left out for long. 

Same team v Brum next week unless any injuries. No way he'll change it. To be succesful in this league you need quality cover for every position and we are pretty much there now. Its a long season and everyone will get a chance. Players these days playing in the top divisions all accept this is a squad game and just get on with it. 

I'd be cautious with putting new signings straight into a confident 11 that has settled well over pre season and now had a great first 90 of the season proper. I'd hope we play the same 11 at Brum.  Having said that I think a bit of rotation (let's not call it tinkering) would be good on Tuesday.  Baker in, perhaps Kelly and Hinds as well.

Personally I've never had much of a problem with Frankie. He's not perfect but then so few goalies are. I think with that position it is very often a case of not realising what you've got til it's gone. I'd try to give Frankie a chance to develop an understanding with Baker, Wright and Pisano before rushing to replace him.

I'm very glad to hear that Pato and Brownhill started brightly. Cannot wait to get my first sight of this year's team at Brentford on the 15th!

I thought fielding looked pretty good when called upon, he got up well, his kicking was okay, no need to drop a player who's done nothing wrong. Imagine being Frankie and getting dropped for a new lad, it'd knock my confidence. We've won the first game of the season, as many other have said on this thread, don't be ******* tinkering with a winning formula.

If (and it is 'if'; we might have completely different targets) it was Eliasson and Ripley who were coming in, then I wouldn't see it as an issue.

In the case of a new keeper; Ripely apparently wants to move for first team football, so would imagine he'd slot in immediately.  Frankie has been a loyal and determined individual, so could see him biding his time until January to judge whether he'll be back in, and perhaps off if not.

We need alternatives to Pato and Brownhill out wide, and while O'Dowda is certainly one, having another natural wide player would allow us to really mix it up.  And were we to lose any of the three above for any length of time to injury, it would be prudent to have an another option.

As for Baker; I highly doubt Flint will be here come 1 September, so Baker arriving means we have four central defenders, one of which is also a midfielder in Hegeler (if we play with two in the middle, can see him playing there a few times), so no issue; best pairing will out.

We haven't got a very deep squad, and looks like one or two will be sold/go out on loan, so nothing wrong with a few more options - we're not in the situation we were years ago when the squad was awfully bloated; we're relatively lean, especially when you consider injuries.

I'm of the opinion that we need to win on Tuesday so that we get another game in August.  LJ can decide how to keep his non-starters fresh.  

I certainly don't see Plymouth as the game for seeing a few of the kids, by kids I mean Di Girolamo, Hinds, Morrell, Kelly.  Kelly could get a start, but one of them max.

Maybe one or two changes, not wholesale, but as a few have said the starters yesterday hold the shirt for next Saturday.

2 hours ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

Well guys and girls isn't this a page of great problems to have? Who'd of thought it!!? Long may it continue

Give it untill November and all these players will be crap and should have been replaced. 

Archived