IGNORED

The kids can play

JoeAman08

I know it wasn't a great Plymouth team but was really impressed with the younger lads today. I don't mean Brownhill or O'Dowda(who actually didn't impress me tonight think he missed a chance to impress). Vyner, Kelly, Hinds and Morrell can all go home tonight and be proud of how they played. 

Vyner I think was the pick of the lot. Not the fastest fullback but not slow. Very calm on the ball and makes the right play seemingly every time. Good dribbler and can put in a decent cross. I know he was a CB at youth level but this boy is a RB for me. So fluid in his movements. Has quick hips which is a term I think I've just made up. Just means he can turn quickly and readjust which I think would stand him in good stead against championship wingers. Got forward alright too with some lovely play to assist(I think!) Paterson's goal. Comfortable with him as our 2nd choice. 

Freddie Hinds has his own thread so won't spend too much time on him but good performance. Great goal and first half his movement was very good. Could've had a second but get good contact on a ball over the top into the box. Tired second half and was a lone striker which didn't really suit him but good 90 min. 

Morrell got about 35 minutes and this guy can slot in and help see games out in the championship. Always looking for space to get on the ball. Very calm and plays the simple passes and just keeps it moving. Was very impressed with him. In particular, a Plymouth player lunged in and fouled him trying to bump him off the ball. Not the biggest lad but seems strong and has good balance. Anyway he bounced off of him as the ref played on and calmly kept on playing unphased. You can see why he was highly touted. 

Kelly only had 20 minutes with 10 of those is being a man down. Done nothing wrong but you can see he's a similar type of athlete to Vyner but even bigger! Seems a bit safe at the moment but doesn't look scared. Need to see more of him. 

Vyner was quality. Really hope his mazy run gets into the extended highlights. Probably won't as I don't think anything came of it in the end.

Yes one performance, yes a weakened league 1 side.

But I wouldn't have major concerns if he was asked to fill in if Pisano was out for 2-3 games.

Equally Kelly.

Agree entirely with Morrell assessment he reminds me of Joe Allen, will rarely lose the ball and has a low centre of gravity. Simples but effective. He knows where he's going to pass the ball before he's received it and before taking a first touch he opens up his body, clever footballer, really impressed with all of them! So excited about this season now it's unreal!!

Vyner was my motm, solid at right back defensively and was really good going forward and linking up with players around him. Morrell if not going to feature much for us needs to get a league 2 loan at least and maybe even a league one loan if we can get someone to take him, looked very composed on the ball. 

Vyner for me also.

Decided to try the West Stand (normally in Dolman but cracking view by the way) and being fairly near pitch side was able to watch him closely.  Just thought he was very accomplished, confident and has come on leaps and bounds.  One tackle particularly was a real cruncher from where I was sitting but saw him watch the situation developing, make his decision and execute the tackle to perfection.

8 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I know it wasn't a great Plymouth team but was really impressed with the younger lads today. I don't mean Brownhill or O'Dowda(who actually didn't impress me tonight think he missed a chance to impress). Vyner, Kelly, Hinds and Morrell can all go home tonight and be proud of how they played. 

Vyner I think was the pick of the lot. Not the fastest fullback but not slow. Very calm on the ball and makes the right play seemingly every time. Good dribbler and can put in a decent cross. I know he was a CB at youth level but this boy is a RB for me. So fluid in his movements. Has quick hips which is a term I think I've just made up. Just means he can turn quickly and readjust which I think would stand him in good stead against championship wingers. Got forward alright too with some lovely play to assist(I think!) Paterson's goal. Comfortable with him as our 2nd choice. 

Freddie Hinds has his own thread so won't spend too much time on him but good performance. Great goal and first half his movement was very good. Could've had a second but get good contact on a ball over the top into the box. Tired second half and was a lone striker which didn't really suit him but good 90 min. 

Morrell got about 35 minutes and this guy can slot in and help see games out in the championship. Always looking for space to get on the ball. Very calm and plays the simple passes and just keeps it moving. Was very impressed with him. In particular, a Plymouth player lunged in and fouled him trying to bump him off the ball. Not the biggest lad but seems strong and has good balance. Anyway he bounced off of him as the ref played on and calmly kept on playing unphased. You can see why he was highly touted. 

Kelly only had 20 minutes with 10 of those is being a man down. Done nothing wrong but you can see he's a similar type of athlete to Vyner but even bigger! Seems a bit safe at the moment but doesn't look scared. Need to see more of him. 

Very much agree. I though Kelly looked very impressive in the 20 minutes he was on and as you say Vyner excellent, Morrell tidy and Hinds great first half. Also agree O'Dowda was disappointing.

8 hours ago, ollywhyte said:

Agree entirely with Morrell assessment he reminds me of Joe Allen, will rarely lose the ball and has a low centre of gravity. Simples but effective. He knows where he's going to pass the ball before he's received it and before taking a first touch he opens up his body, clever footballer, really impressed with all of them! So excited about this season now it's unreal!!

Pocket rocket that lad - I liked the way he legally fired into that tackle which left their player in a heap and subbed off injured shortly after.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Or just a little behind in his development, or just a chance for one of the other young ones to play.

Moore played in the u23 game monday.

I do appreciate that with so many back four players, that there isn't space for everyone to get into an 18 player squad. And was pleased that Vyner and Hinds both got a full 90 minutes and Kelly also got on. Was that his first team debut?

Even allowing for a weakened Argyle, it was an enjoyable evening with so much promise for the future.

19 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I do appreciate that with so many back four players, that there isn't space for everyone to get into an 18 player squad. And was pleased that Vyner and Hinds both got a full 90 minutes and Kelly also got on. Was that his first team debut?

Even allowing for a weakened Argyle, it was an enjoyable evening with so much promise for the future.

Was Kellys competetive debut I think.

He played a few friendlies

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Where is Taylor Moore?

Injured or totally out of favour?

I'd hope they're sorting out a L1 loan for him as a CB. Not everyone can play unless we use a completely young squad which runs the risk of being their only chance if they lose. Now they've won it they have a second round game to play again 

Archived