IGNORED

The average position for L1 Champions the following season

Jack Dawe

is 12.7. Source? Sky Sports Football.

This is based on the last ten years only. In that time, we fared better than:

Wigan, Doncaster and Scunthorpe (all relegated).

But poorer than:

Norwich (promoted), Leicester (5th), Wolves (7th), Swansea (8th), Charlton (9th) and Brighton (10th).

We were some way short of average in 2015/16. I reckon Sheff Utd will finish somewhere around, maybe just short, of the average for promoted L1 champions in their first year up, 13th or 14th. 

It does show what a pig's ear we made of that season. 

Given a fair - or average - dose of fortune (injuries etc), 12th or 13th might just be within our reach this season, perhaps?

I'd say that looks about average all things considered

Wigan, Doncaster, Scunthorpe - all smaller clubs/worse equipped

Norwich, Leicester, Wolves - all bigger clubs/better equipped

Charlton/Swansea/Brighton - about the same generally speaking

I think our difficult 15/16 summer was hard to recover from and we paid for it all season. Would've been interesting to see where we'd have finished if SC had got his first choice targets in early.

I think this season, although it's very early days still, anywhere between 8th-12th is realistically achievable.

11 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

is 12.7. Source? Sky Sports Football.

This is based on the last ten years only. In that time, we fared better than:

Wigan, Doncaster and Scunthorpe (all relegated).

But poorer than:

Norwich (promoted), Leicester (5th), Wolves (7th), Swansea (8th), Charlton (9th) and Brighton (10th).

We were some way short of average in 2015/16. I reckon Sheff Utd will finish somewhere around, maybe just short, of the average for promoted L1 champions in their first year up, 13th or 14th. 

It does show what a pig's ear we made of that season. 

Given a fair - or average - dose of fortune (injuries etc), 12th or 13th might just be within our reach this season, perhaps?

While thats a fair assessment, the quality between the championship and league one has opened up significantly in the last 5 years,

2 of the 3 clubs that come up in recent years struggle with one doing well,

Yeovil and Doncaster Struggled, Bounmouth well.........

Us and MK Struggled Preston did ok,

Wigan and Burton Struggled Barnsley did ok,

I'm expecting Millwall and Bolton to struggle and Sheff utd to do ok

4 hours ago, Monkeh said:

Us and MK Struggled Preston did ok,

OK? Eleventh, ok? Preston? Blimey, I'd say that was more than 'ok'. And not a fluke, it was repeated last season, too, point for point and eleventh again. If that's only 'ok' we're doing a lot worse than we think. Oh to be anywhere near eleventh.

7 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

OK? Eleventh, ok? Preston? Blimey, I'd say that was more than 'ok'. And not a fluke, it was repeated last season, too, point for point and eleventh again. If that's only 'ok' we're doing a lot worse than we think. Oh to be anywhere near eleventh.

11 is mid table mid table is ok,

good would be too 8

15 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

11 is mid table mid table is ok,

good would be too 8

On crowds under 10,000, with practically no money, a top scorer of a midfielder on 8 and Greg Cunningham as their player of the season (ie best player)? No probs, if you think that is 'ok' and not even good, carry on. Meanwhile in another world....

Archived