IGNORED

Watford-Liverpool

Garland-sweden

Not long until the Klopp fascination ends me thinks, can't believe he's so far into the job and hasn't managed to tell Henderson or Can to stop ball chasing and sit in front of their back 4 and protect them. Or even worse, not have your defensive set up for set pieces sorted on day 1 of the season. 

2 minutes ago, samo II said:

Liverpool had a whole summer to fix their back line, yet bought no one of note to play there, and stil defend like a bunch of tramps.

Should have bought a top class defender, not spent crazy money on Salah.   

Crazy money? Involved in 59 goals in 81 games for Roma, different player to what he used to be and now he's quality. Under £40m... Not crazy in this market.

Goal and won the pen already today.

7 minutes ago, samo II said:

Liverpool had a whole summer to fix their back line, yet bought no one of note to play there, and stil defend like a bunch of tramps.

Been saying the same thing in my head.  Might be 2-3 now, but we've been awful.  Just cannot seem to play well with the 3 of Henderson, Can and Gigi.  Two of them, yes, but all 3 it never works.

20 minutes ago, samo II said:

They're trying to buy a top class defender. And £34m for Salah really is quite a good deal by today's standards (50m for Sigurdsson anyone?) . Fits into the Klopp mould perfectly.

16 minutes ago, EmersonsRed said:

Crazy money? Involved in 59 goals in 81 games for Roma, different player to what he used to be and now he's quality. Under £40m... Not crazy in this market.

Goal and won the pen already today.

That's fair: I mean, all the big fees are pretty mental these days to me!

And he is clearly some player; I do think they need a couple of top defenders though, and could have been very well served up top without Salah (though not a bad player to have).

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Been saying the same thing in my head.  Might be 2-3 now, but we've been awful.  Just cannot seem to play well with the 3 of Henderson, Can and Gigi.  Two of them, yes, but all 3 it never works.

It's like watching 50% of a team - nice attacking players, atrocious defending.

1 minute ago, Luxo Jr. said:

They're trying to buy a top class defender. And £34m for Salah really is quite a good deal by today's standards (50m for Sigurdsson anyone?) . Fits into the Klopp mould perfectly.

It was 42 million Euro rising to 50 million Euros for Salah so closer to £40 million - I'm sure he'll be good for them, but do think Liverpool need players for the defence more than up top.

Just now, samo II said:

It was 42 million Euro rising to 50 million Euros for Salah so closer to £40 million - I'm sure he'll be good for them, but do think Liverpool need players for the defence more than up top.

Absolutely, but the van Dijk saga has been going on all summer - it's not like they're not trying to buy him. He's only just put in a transfer request.

Just now, Luxo Jr. said:

Absolutely, but the van Dijk saga has been going on all summer - it's not like they're not trying to buy him. He's only just put in a transfer request.

That's one player; watching this, they need two or three more.

They badly miss a ball winning midfielder too; they have good central players, but all are ball playing ones - need a destroyer of play.

Just now, samo II said:

That's one player; watching this, they need two or three more.

They badly miss a ball winning midfielder too; they have good central players, but all are ball playing ones - need a destroyer of play.

Think Can and Henderson do that job quite well really. As for defenders, I think Alexander Arnold looks good, Matip is generally pretty classy, and they should have a better left back. Van Dijk would replace Lovren, clearly.

4 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Think Can and Henderson do that job quite well really. As for defenders, I think Alexander Arnold looks good, Matip is generally pretty classy, and they should have a better left back. Van Dijk would replace Lovren, clearly.

I like both Can and Henderson, but don't feel they ever dominate (or even just protect at all) the area in front of the defence.

And while I don't disagree completely, I don't think one (admittedly excellent) centre back will be enough to cover them in the league and champions league all year.  Defence will be a weakness this year for them.

Just now, samo II said:

I like both Can and Henderson, but don't feel they ever dominate (or even just protect at all) the area in front of the defence.

And while I don't disagree completely, I do think one (admittedly excellent) centre back will be enough to cover them in the league and champions league all year.  Defence will be a weakness this year for them.

I think you can add Wijnaldum to the list of very good industrious midfielders. Their squad isn't as strong in depth as Chelsea or City, but signing van Dijk would be a big step toward them being a proper title challenger. With that signing, I see them being safely in the top 4 honestly. 

5 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

I think you can add Wijnaldum to the list of very good industrious midfielders. Their squad isn't as strong in depth as Chelsea or City, but signing van Dijk would be a big step toward them being a proper title challenger. With that signing, I see them being safely in the top 4 honestly. 

Not confident they'll make top four looking at the sides who've strengthened this year who were outside last year.

Arsenal also cannot defend but think they'll be prioritising the league, so will push them hard again.  Manchester United and maybe even Everton will press too.

4 minutes ago, samo II said:

Inevitable.

Utterly shambles at the back.

But as Super says; entertaining!

That keeper is Championship standard too; can stop shots, but bricks it on crosses.

I think with a confident keeper you'd see a more confident defence.  We (yes "we") concede awful goals.  Team knows that any shot or cross could end in a goal.  Should've got Hart (better than Mignolet) or Schmeichel.

Just now, Davefevs said:

I think with a confident keeper you'd see a more confident defence.  We (yes "we") concede awful goals.  Team knows that any shot or cross could end in a goal.  Should've got Hart (better than Mignolet) or Schmeichel.

Danny Ward is Premier League standard. Don't always need to buy people. Look within.

7 minutes ago, samo II said:

Not confident they'll make top four looking at the sides who've strengthened this year who were outside last year.

Arsenal also cannot defend either but think they'll be prioritising the league, so will push them hard again.  Manchester United and maybe even Everton will press too.

Arsenal haven't strengthened in the areas they really needed to either, not properly. United have bought well, but still play in the Mourinho way, which will only work for some time. Also wasting Martial. Everton have spent big, I'm really not sure whether it will pay off. 

Edit: Arsenal also have Europa League fixtures, so will be just as tired as anyone else.

15 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Arsenal haven't strengthened in the areas they really needed to either, not properly. United have bought well, but still play in the Mourinho way, which will only work for some time. Also wasting Martial. Everton have spent big, I'm really not sure whether it will pay off. 

Edit: Arsenal also have Europa League fixtures, so will be just as tired as anyone else.

All fair points, but in the Arsenal one; they'll play kids in Europe as far as possible, and focus on the league - their chairman has said as much.

Personally, I see Liverpool being too weak and stretched (especially if Courtinio leaves) to be able to play the type of cavalier football Klopp clearly wants to, and regardless of the weakness of others, they will struggle to make top four in the league - feel cups will be good for them.

Don't think Watford is that bad though to be honest. Liverpool suffer from the same problems year after year but will try to outscore teams and will most weeks. Adding Van Dijk might just be enough to see them top 4 again. Their style wears teams down and I'm not convinced anyone in that top 6 has strengthened too much bar the Manchester teams. Chelsea bought more defense which they were already good at. Spurs lost Walker. Arsenal bought 1 good forward then started the season playing a 21 year old CB with little experience next to two LB in a back 3. 

Losing Couthino would be a big loss obviously but hopefully that money could go to use on the defender needed. I'd also invest in a top destroyer type midfielder and think you could find one cheapish. I'd look at Carvalho at Sporting. Though think that would be better with Coutinho staying. Be interesting to see if West Ham or Everton can sneak into that top 4. Think they're the only other contenders for it. Disappointed with Spurs, Arsenal and even Liverpool so far. I know just because you have money doesn't mean you need to spend it but they'll be receiving 100m+ just in tv money but relucantant to spend that in the summer. Sad reality is you need to spend to have a good shot at winning. 

Archived