IGNORED

Wilbs

Septic Peg

I see Wilbs was an unused sub in their opening Championship fixture, came on as sub in League Cup 1st round tie (66 min) and sub in their 2 Championship match (83 min).

I guess they're easing him in!

I also noticed that in the 2 matches that Lits has started, he's been subbed. Not sure if for tactical reasons, or due to injury? Hopefully it's the former.

COYR

Yeah, sorry I was responding in reference to the Bristol Post article, which I thought had the same content as this, it was similar but definitely sounded more like Wilbs was having a dig at LJ. 

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aaron-wilbraham-questions-how-lee-320055

Aaron Wilbraham has questioned the way Lee Johnson managed his expectations during his time at Bristol City.

The 37-year-old striker left the club after three seasons during the summer and signed for Bolton Wanderers on a one-year deal.

Wilbraham, who was City’s top scorer for the memorable 2014/15 campaign where the Robins claimed the League One title and Johnstone’s Paint Trophy, made 125 appearances in total – including 36 last term - and netted 34 times overall.

The former Norwich and Crystal Palace, who was also wanted by Bury, has been reflecting on his time at City and told the Football League Paper how he viewed things towards the end of his time at Ashton Gate. 

“I loved my time at City, but Lee Johnson told me I wouldn’t be playing that much,” said the veteran striker.

“It wasn’t exactly making me lose my fight, but I was thinking ‘I’m going to be working hard every day to impress this bloke but he’s already got it in his head that I’m not a regular’.

“I’m old enough to know that if we got four or five games in and we weren’t playing well, he’d have rely on me again. He was saying similar things last year and I still played 36 times.”

Wilbraham added: “I also understand he was trying to manage my expectations so I wouldn’t be upset if I wasn’t in the squad.

“But I don’t see the point in saying that to one of your players. I’d rather make everyone feel important.”

Wilbraham moved to City from Palace in 2014 and became an instant hit with fans and players at the club.

The forward, however, had his worries over moving to BS3 at the tender age of 34.

He told the Bolton News: "Some of the messages I was getting from the Bristol City lads were really nice, how I’d helped them on. They made me laugh and sent a video of them all holding a minute’s silence because I’d gone. It was brilliant.

“I had a good relationship with the fans there too. When I went in at 33 or 34 they probably thought I was an older pro just picking up a pay packet."

Wilbs comes across as honest rather than bitter or unhappy which is what I'd expect.

What he describes from LJ is also exactly what I'd expect, managing expectations of a player you know is not going to play 40 games.

Nothing to see hear really.  Best of luck to him.

22 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Can't agree with that. You are reading the article and making assumptions that are probably totally unjustified. For once I'm on Johnson's side. There isn't any hidden agenda here. 

Difficult to tell as it's written not a video/audio interview but it seemed that way to me - and i'm an LJ fan so no reason for me to want to make him look bad.

I was referring to this article more http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aaron-wilbraham-questions-how-lee-320055 Didn't realise the OP had sourced a summarised version from a different paper.

“It wasn’t exactly making me lose my fight, but I was thinking ‘I’m going to be working hard every day to impress this bloke but he’s already got it in his head that I’m not a regular’.

“I’m old enough to know that if we got four or five games in and we weren’t playing well, he’d have rely on me again. He was saying similar things last year and I still played 36 times.”

Wilbraham added: “I also understand he was trying to manage my expectations so I wouldn’t be upset if I wasn’t in the squad. “But I don’t see the point in saying that to one of your players. I’d rather make everyone feel important.”

This is from that article - seems pretty obvious he didn't like how he was managed.

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

I get your point. I think there is an inference to be drawn here and the one I draw is that Wilbs isn't an LJ fan. 

How on earth have you drawn that conclusion from reading that article!?

EDIT: Just seen the other article posted now.

I don't get ANY manager telling a player "your not in my plans". Look at Conte at Chelsea he has royally screwed up in the fact that he told his striker he wasn't in his plans without replacing him first! In any other line of business you would  be in serious trouble here!

Its just common sense really, as Wilbraham stated "he told me the same the year before!" WHY?

Even if said player is not first choice, "not in plans" you don't have to tell him that, keep him motivated you never know when you may need that player t come on and maybe save your job! As I said before its just common sense really!

Let's be fair here.....if Johnson was picking Wilbraham on a regular basis as anything more than second back up this season there would have been huge criticism of him and the ambition of the club...and rightly so. So he's told the guy the truth and let him go to a club where he can get a game and he is getting vilified for that!!! Johnson still has a lot of work to do to win many fans over and he only has himself to blame for that but criticism of this situation is stupid imo.

Nothing to see here, surely ?

Manager communicates honestly with experienced pro coming towards the end of his career so he (the pro) can make a decision about his future in full sight of the facts. Pro then signs a new contract willingly having considered what manager has said, before then getting an opportunity to move nearer home and potentially play more regularly than might be the case at current club. Different horses for different courses.

2 hours ago, Loco Rojo said:

If a player stops putting the effort when they are told they're not going to play much then i'm not sure they have the right mental attitude or determination/drive to step up to the challenge. (not suggesting this of Wilbs but if there are players in the game like that, that cant be good). Sounds like he made the right choice for himself if he wanted to play more than LJ suggested he would here, which you cant fault at all.

Personally, I think LJ did exactly the right thing by being up front and honest with him. Imagine the criticism he'd have got if he'd said Wilbs would have played every game and then didnt play him. OTIB would have had a melt down.

Then don't tell players either way. Just make it clear to everyone that if you train hard, and you take your opportunities when they come, you'll play. If you don't, then you don't play. 

Like Wilbs said, it seems the same was said to him last season yet he still played a lot. That's inconsistent the other way. 

1 hour ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Then don't tell players either way. Just make it clear to everyone that if you train hard, and you take your opportunities when they come, you'll play. If you don't, then you don't play. 

Like Wilbs said, it seems the same was said to him last season yet he still played a lot. That's inconsistent the other way. 

I guess Wilbs situation is a bit of an exception though given his age (another year older), the number of strikers we have plus the emergence of Reid in that position with a single striker, it becomes obvious that Wilbs isnt going to get many opportunities so LJ, out of respect, wanted to make it clear to Wilbs so he knew where he stood. I cant argue with that.

This story would soon disappear like snow in May if it wasn't for the fact we have been here before with LJ, notably with Tomlin.  Personally, I think Wilbraham, as a mature pro, may be on to something about City's senior coach's lack of management skills.  If so, added to concerns about lack of tactical nous of LJ, we can see where we need to sharpen up

5 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

This story would soon disappear like snow in May if it wasn't for the fact we have been here before with LJ, notably with Tomlin.  Personally, I think Wilbraham, as a mature pro, may be on to something about City's senior coach's lack of management skills.  If so, added to concerns about lack of tactical nous of LJ, we can see where we need to sharpen up

But on the other hand you could be completely wrong.

6 hours ago, cynic said:

Wilbraham is, obviously, nearing the end of his playing career and it would appear that the club gave him an opportunity to gain some coaching experience here while being a bit part player as he is taking his coaching badges. He took that opportunity after looking at alternatives and LJ was right to tell him that, at 37 years old, he wouldn't be playing as often as he would like - wtf did he expect at 37 ? LJ was being up front with him, paying him a bit of respect and giving him a job which could help his future. He could have strung him along or just got shot of him. He didn't have to offer him anything.

And what possible good can come from him whinging in the media about an offer he accepted ?

This clickbait tripe also won't endear the Post to the club;

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aaron-wilbraham-questions-how-lee-320055

All totally unnecessary.

Interesting comment Cynic- it appears that Dan Newman is employed solely for the purpose of click bate with classics such as " see what City fans have to say about rover's failed stadium"  and "McAllister updates on transfer latest"- with Jamie saying " there are no updates.  That's news??

Is it any wonder that BEP usually end up getting their City news by reading OTIB because with the the type of shite Dan Newman thinks up- why on earth would the club want to talk to the Post. It must make Gregor McGreggorface's job that much harder.

2 minutes ago, shelts said:

Needless story. Dissaponted by Wilbs . Should I be surprised?

How so? He gives a candid interview to his (now) local paper which doesn`t really tell us anything we didn`t know. Said interview is then cut and pasted by the Evil Post and twisted into an article slagging off City to generate clickbait. Why should we be surprised at that?

11 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/15465686.__39_Peter_Pan__39__Albi_aims_to_keep_on_firing_for_Wanderers_at_37/

Not too happy with LJ by the sounds of that though have to agree, LJ told him the score...

Blimey, talk about read more into it than is actually there. LJ obviously wanted to keep him around and if we want to progress then he wouldn't play much. Don't let that get in the way of having a swipe at someone though :blink:

I don't understand why this is a thread.

Wilbs breaking rank?  He's not in our ranks anymore.

Wilbs stating he would've done things differently to LJ?  So do the vast majority of posts on this forum.

LJ telling Wilbs he's not in his plans this season?  Wilbs may not have taken the Bolton contract if he'd been lead to believe otherwise.

Only otib could take issue with and complicate such a straight forward sequence of events.

12 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

I personally can't see Johnson done anything wrong. He told the player he wasn't in his plans as a player. But happy for him to be a part of the squad and part of his coaching staff. Which wilbs accepted. Then Bolton came calling and wilbs has got what he wants. 

Agreed, Albi still has the hunger and ability as a Championship worthy footballer, so fully understand why he made the move, seems the perfect fit for him being a Manchester lad too.

He was a fantastic servant for us, I wish him all the best and that he plays as much football as he can at the highest level he can operate at. 

His Bolton signing interview on Youtube:

13 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

How so? He gives a candid interview to his (now) local paper which doesn`t really tell us anything we didn`t know. Said interview is then cut and pasted by the Evil Post and twisted into an article slagging off City to generate clickbait. Why should we be surprised at that?

Good luck to him at Bolton . Nothing surprises me in football 

“But I don’t see the point in saying that to one of your players. I’d rather make everyone feel important.”

Guess that's a criticism.

On the other hand, at least your employer has been brutally honest with how he sees your future for the coming year. Damned if you do....

Archived