IGNORED

Bloody fantastic point!

EmersonsRed

1 hour ago, MarkRed! said:

Cmon lads.... We were utter shite tonight. Terrible performance. A point is a point but my goodness we got out of jail. Fielding was utter garbage but some majestic saves kept us in it and will take the focus off his dire display. We did nothing at all. Must do better. That said... good teams get points playing ugly.... dont they? 

So, does he deserve applause or criticism?

1 hour ago, MarkRed! said:

Cmon lads.... We were utter shite tonight. Terrible performance. A point is a point but my goodness we got out of jail. Fielding was utter garbage but some majestic saves kept us in it and will take the focus off his dire display. We did nothing at all. Must do better. That said... good teams get points playing ugly.... dont they? 

How the 'kin 'ell can he have been "utter garbage", "made some majestic saves", "kept us in it", but "his display was dire" ????

Too many sherberts tonight???

'kin beats me!!!

There's some shite posted on this forum, but that takes the biscuit!!!

:dunno:

33 minutes ago, 29AR said:

That isn't both ways : / 

You can be crap but lucky, you can be unlucky and crap. But I don't think that is LJ, I think in real time he simply doesn't read the game that well as a manager and probably his sole biggest limitation. There are too many examples over too long a period of taking nil or 1 points from winning positions and not enough points from losing positions. 

He might get better with experience and I hope he does. I don't want to see him sacked at all, but something needs addressing - I wonder some pride swallowing and the right assistant and he won't look back.  To stick our head in the sands to the warning signs of the themes of last year worries me. Yes it's only 3 league games, and our points return is actually good; tonight was a good result and Brum was a very good 45. So there are some big positives. But surrendering early leads in consecutive games and to be scrabbling in the final minutes of each for a point, given last year, is worrying to me. 

I'm kinda with you on the "doesn't read the game well".  I think he can set up a side, but then struggles to adapt it 1) if players are t doing what they are supposed to or 2) players are just playing poorly or 3) oppposition do something different to what we've planned or 4) opposition change during the game.

To be fair that's not just LJ's domain, it's DH and JMc too, plus the 'leaders' on the pitch.  Collective responsibility!

I can't comment on tonight, because I wasn't there (I don't do many away games).

It is very easy to say things like - we need another in midfield to stop them passing it around and through us.  But does that mean Bobby drops in and it becomes a 5, but then you leave Famara on his own.  It isn't always that simple.

I liked what I saw at home v Barnsley, I liked what I listened to on BBCRB on Saturday for 45 minutes, but not 45-90, and I didn't like what I read on Twitter and saw on Sky Sports tonight for 80 minutes.  A right mixed bag, but that sums up City and this division.

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Did you watch the game?

We were totally outclassed from the 10th to the 80th minute. Only a mixture of some great saves from FF, staunch defending from Baker & Wright, woeful finishing and lots of luck enabled us to get to HT 1 up. 

Based on that performance, LJ simply HAD to make changes for the second half - he did nothing. All too predictably the 2nd half carried on just like the 1st, still LJ does nothing. We are playing so poorly and naively it's almost unbearable. Then they level, and carry on battering us and still LJ does nothing. Finally he makes some subs and 3 mins later it's 2-1. 

Yes, fantastic that Bobby stole a point for us, BUT that should not paper over this woeful performance. Honestly for those 70 mins between the 10th and the 80th, that was one of the most pathetic, tactically inept displays I have ever seen in 47 years of watching City.  

Johnson OUT!

Has anyone gone onto the Brentford forum and seen what they think ? Thing is they were at home we have to soak up a lot of pressure. Something that when we are at home we would expect the away team to have to do. Championship is one hell of  league now and if we survive it's because of this kind of result. LJ could be the next heart attack victim the way I see it listening to his interview post match. Really is time to back off and give him and the team support. Bet they were buzzin in the dressing room after that. Come on guys stop all this LJ out crap and give him and the team it bit more credit in what they are trying to achieve. 

2 hours ago, EmersonsRed said:

Absolutely no doubt Brentford will be top 8. Moan about the performance all you like, we've gone there, a place where historically we are pathetic and stolen a point. Well done Bobby Reid and well done to all the fans that made the trip down there. Have a safe journey back.

Sorry Johnson boo boys, early night for you. ;)

Agreed, let's hope we can recreate that get out jail style of performance every week. Here's hoping eh?

2 hours ago, MarkRed! said:

Cannot disagree more about Fielding. He has had shaky moments in the past but he kept us from receiving a complete thrashing. The bloke could rescue a child from a house fire and many OTIBers would just get angry that he didn't go back in and get the television too...

Firstly I'll declare my position as a big Johnson In fan. Today we faced a very good Brentford side whose passing and movement was very very good. What disappointed me was that despite no seriously bad individual performances, as a team we were outclassed for more or less the entire game. We were hanging on first half and a blind b*gger could see we needed to change something second half. LJ took far too long to do so. Every second ball seemed to drop to them. 

Main positives:

- Great resilience as a team and nicked a result we had no right to 

- Bobby Reid... ran tirelessly with good positional sense too (and hopefully will learn to stay onside)

- Pisano... was regularly left exposed 1-1 in a ton of space against a pacy winger and didn't get beaten once. I thought he was our MOM today 

Get home safe everyone 

No denying we were outplayed tonight and put in our poorest performance of the season so far, but credit where it's due, Brentford were superb. Their system is quite simple, one up top (Vibe) and five in midfield if which two (Watkins and Jota) stay wide and stretch the opposition. What  is not simple is that they play at a very high tempo which they can maintain for the entire 90 minutes. We won't come across that level of intensity often this season. 

Across the two away games, we got the point we deserved, if it was the wrong way around. We need to do better than a point from two aways, but it's early in the season and no need to despair yet. 

When we play the high press, energy and commited work rate game, like Barnsley and first half of Birmingham we look good. Full of purpose with a fluidity teams will have a tough time dealing with us. 

But when don't have that going, we look like a team that gets over run far to easily. 

LJ and the players need to find ways of when it's not working to make it work. Find catalyst to change momentum. 

Reverting to playing deeper leaves their midfield with far too much space. We don't seem to be able to get anywhere near them. 

It's a tough task to swing that high press game back and risky too. 

But when it's working it's a joy to be hold. These players must find a way of gaining the upper hand when the it's not working or I feel it might be a long season

Stevo

7 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

Cannot disagree more about Fielding. He has had shaky moments in the past but he kept us from receiving a complete thrashing. The bloke could rescue a child from a house fire and many OTIBers would just get angry that he didn't go back in and get the television too...

The plaudits and the criticism of Frankie are justified.

He showed exactly what he is last night .

Some world class saves , at least two goal kicks put straight out of this play  , rooted to his line and a mad last few minutes where he decided to join the attack .

You can only but love this guy , for all his faults .

Can we do better ? Probably.

Is their a better character than Frankie for our team ? I doubt it .

8 hours ago, 29AR said:

First para agree wholeheartedly. Some don't acknowledge what he does good and you can sense an agenda. 

As for the second para I'm not entirely convinced about finding the 11. Fair enough there are injuries up top which resulted in a reshuffle, but he knows well all of those defensive and midfield players (except Pisano but he picks himself). In any case for me the 11 isn't the problem, it's tweaking to shut off the space opponents learn to exploit in game. 

Simplist way I can explain is to me it seems many a manager go in to a game with an idea of how it will play out and how to adjust to deal with competing threats. LJ goes in with a 90m plan and is caught on the back foot very swiftly. 

I think most of the XI are set. Though I think there could be a few changes. Eliasson may end up where Brownhill is. Brownhill could end up where Korey is. Gave Wright and Baker a go to see how they paired up. I think there are still a few questions is all. That and we could still bring in 1 or 2 plus a few coming back from injury. 

Archived