IGNORED

Ratings

old_eastender

(6 being a competent display)

FF - 8, some key saves today and some good claims from their many crosses and corners - distribution still poor, but for me way less important than keeping the ball out of our net!

Pisano - 6, solid defensively, offered nothing on the overlap.

Wright/Baker - 6, solid defensively, neither show any ability to bring ball out of defence like Hegeler does though.

Bryan - 8, good defensively (defending much improved from last season for me) and made several typical forward runs including the give and go from which he hit the bar.

Pack - 4, struggled to control the ball, too slow in possession, too often brushed aside by Millwall midfield

Smith - 5, similar to Pack only slightly more effective in breaking Millwall play up.

Brownhill - 4, not in the game for large parts. One decent run just before HT, not good enough.

Paterson - 3, a few little cameo runs, but often (like at Brentford) just a passenger watching on rather than showing for the ball, nowhere near acceptable for me.

Fammy/Reid - 5, neither affected the game BUT neither had any service to speak of at all, just like at Brentford just aimless hoofs to try and get on the end of. 

COD/GON - 5, neither made a difference. 

Woodrow - not on long enough and hardly got a touch to judge.

LJ - 3, tactically inept, nothing changed at HT despite the below par performance. 

Ridiculously harsh on the centre backs, we were up against a long ball side who hoofed it towards them all game and they never gave an inch.

Both worth 8 for me.

Brownhill twice ran 70-80 meters to get in excellent defensive blocks, that is worth 6 on its own.

9 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Ridiculously harsh on the centre backs, we were up against a long ball side who hoofed it towards them all game and they never gave an inch.

Both worth 8 for me.

Brownhill twice ran 70-80 meters to get in excellent defensive blocks, that is worth 6 on its own.

Yes I agree. CBs were excellent and were almost constantly under pressure

However we created nothing...Bryan tried to give us a little inspiration but Reid and Fammy saw nothing of note of the ball. 

The Italian at RB looks class to me, but the real problem is we cant cope physically in some areas and lose the ball way t often because of it....LJ reckons Flint may play Tuesday as is Hegeler (and Elliason), so we my get a look t some alternatives and something a bit more difficult to move

FF- 8. Good saves. Good claiming of crosses etc. His kicking is like always. Et used to it! 

EP-6 solid not spectacular. 

BW- 6 did ok- poor on the ball. 

NB- 6 see above- did have one moment in 1st half when he carried the ball out from defence. 

JB- 7 defending much improved- seemed uninterested in bombing on as much but solid. 

JB- 6 industrious without having the quality needed. 

MP- 6- not as good as he has been, not helped by the partnership with smith. 

KS- 5 poor today  

JP- 4 very poor, lightweight and no end product  

BR- quiet, had no service to work off  kept going but he isn't the answer  

FD- looks slow, sluggish, poor touch, no awareness and very worrying on what I've seen so far  

GON- 5- stupid fouls given away for a man with such experience, didn't control the game at all  

COD- 3- awful, again  

CW- 5 had no service so hard to judge  

LJ- 3  didn't show any awareness of what needed to change and has to be to blame for the shape and way we played  

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

FF - 8, some key saves today and some good claims from their many crosses and corners - distribution still poor, but for me way less important than keeping the ball out of our net!

Wright/Baker - 6, solid defensively, neither show any ability to bring ball out of defence like Hegeler does though.

Bryan - 8, good defensively (defending much improved from last season for me) and made several typical forward runs including the give and go from which he hit the bar.

Pack - 4, struggled to control the ball, too slow in possession, too often brushed aside by Millwall midfield

Smith - 5, similar to Pack only slightly more effective in breaking Millwall play up.

Brownhill - 4, not in the game for large parts. One decent run just before HT, not good enough.

Paterson - 3, a few little cameo runs, but often (like at Brentford) just a passenger watching on rather than showing for the ball, nowhere near acceptable for me.

Fammy/Reid - 5, neither affected the game BUT neither had any service to speak of at all, just like at Brentford just aimless hoofs to try and get on the end of. 

LJ - 3, tactically inept, nothing changed at HT despite the below par performance. 

Surely not Saint Marlon?.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Both worth 8 for me.

I did say 6 was competent display, however take your point, changed both CBs to 7s. We will have to disagree on Brownhill though.

Agree with op that without Hegelar we cannot bring it out from the back, and then we have to rely on FF's horrendous kicking... why on earth do the defenders play it back to him? 

Patterson did control the ball brillantly several times for high pass's that with most over players it would have gone out. 

Thought Marlon sprayed one or two nice balls around but on the whole neither he or Korey did enough to be effective in the centre, I don't think either really have the awareness to offer much protection to the centre backs, a better team would have put a few past us today. If he's fit enough, GON should start next game, he imposed himself, got involved and did more than Pack and Smith for me.

We went long far too much and played too much in the air, Famara was disappointing but he had little service in dangerous areas. Thought Reid did ok but again had no support. 

Brownhill and Paterson aren't wide men, they're always looking to come inside, we've made the pitch smaller and there's not the space for them when a team sits back like Millwall did.

Joe Bryan very good again, Baker and Wright were comfortable, Millwall's frontman weren't exactly threatening though.

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Both worth 8 for me.

Spot on. The keeper, two centre halves and right back put their bodies on the line today when it mattered. Can't for the life of me work out how our fancy Dan left back gets an 8 on here and MoM!!!!! Pack deserved about a 1 (being generous) and left Smith to battle on his own until O'Neill came on. As for Diedhou, he has some serious work to put in to get up to speed.

Thought overall today we looked a bit leggy...perhaps the demands of chasing the ball for 70+ minutes on Tuesday.  I actually wondered how much the game had take out of us when stuck in the traffic around the ground today waiting for several police riot vans to move so I could get access to my parking space.  Was 15 minutes late, so only ratings for 75 +5 minutes!

Fielding 7 - two fantastic saves, came and plucked done crosses out of the air, and for once I am critical of his kicking, late on.  Proving very reliable at the mo'

Pisano 7 - I thought his positioning was excellent and the way he uses his body and strength is exemplary at time.  I think he is clever when we have the ball, creates angles to receive, and also happy to pass first tine inside to keep it moving.  My only reason for not giving an 8 was that he was part of a defensive unit that allowed Morison to win too much ball in the final 20 having starved him for the earlier part of the game.  Almost got a scrambled first goal for us in 2nd half.

Wright 6 - steady enough, but a bit too steady today.  Don't think he got us up the pitch quick enough today, and why does he pass the ball behind our players too often?  Decent enough, but seen him play better.  See above for the way we conceded headers in final 20.

Baker 7 - a toss up for me between him and Eros for MOTM.  Thought he did well in the air and on the ground, and nice to see him bring the ball forward.  For anyone listening to BBCRB, for him to be called a 'poor man's Aden Flint' is incredible.  Especially after the way he played Morison and Gregory (same caveat above re final 20) today.  Again, like Eros, his positioning is very good.  

Bryan 6 - not MOTM for me.  Did ok, but had chances in first half to drive forward and didn't take it, seemed to be playing within himself...maybe effects of kicks to ankle over past 2 games.  Of course almost scored the goal, a fine run and shot against the bar.  Did the keeper get a touch?  I don't think he was quite at it today and I usually gauge this by whether he gives our player an angle for a pass or whether he hides behind his marker.  Today it wasn't that, today was that (certainly first half) that he was too square of Baker and also took too long to knock it forward today.

Brownhill 6 - decent enough, but not the influence he can be.  He wasn't bad....made one lung-busting defensive run to get in a challenge,  it not enough impact today.

Pack 5 - my first name on the sheet, but this will be one of a very small number of games where he'll get less than 6.  Looked a bit laboured today, sloppy passes, clumsy challenges.

Smith 6 - buzzed around, like he usually does, but think he missed a decent Pack alongside him.  Decent enough first half, but gave it away too much second half with heavy touches.

Paterson 7 - thought he looked out most likely 'forward' player to create something.  Found great pockets in first half especially without having the final pass or finish / shot.  Wish he'd have blasted that chance rather than chip it.  Lots of unselfish running for others to benefit (like Bobby)

Diedhiou 5 - struggled physically today against more physical Millwall CBs.  Got pretty poor service.  Inches away at end of first half.  Got his yellow, and in some respects it's good to see he has that side to him.  Think he's still adjusting to pace / intensity and playing 4 games in quick possession.  Still opened out the play well on occasions....not his day today though.

Reid 6.5 - worked his socks off today without really getting the run of the ball, and thought he battled hard against physical opponents.  Like Paterson, found good pockets in first half, and the shot early in second half shows what confidence he is playing with.

O'Neil 6 - tried to drive us on, and I think he showed he's still got something to offer.

O'Dowda 6 - frustrates me with the amount of times he fouls his opponent needlessly.  Thought he tried to be creative, and better when he moved left side....where I think he will offer us more (plus has a good partnership with Joe).  Gonna have to go some if Eliasson is the biz.

Woodrow 6 - flashes of quality, but starved of decent ball.

Overall, I thought we played into Millwall's hands, especially second half where we gave away countless stupid free-kicks all over the pitch that allowed them to put balls in our box, slow the game down and take all our rhythm away.  Those chances near the end are ones where we'd have conceded last season, so I'm happy to get a point based on the overall play.  We didn't deserve less than a point, but we didn't really deserve anything more either!

Tactically, there wasn't a lot wrong, we just didn't move the ball around quickly enough to exploit a big, physical side.

Now to mix a few up for Watford, and give Joe a rest, ready to beat Villa next Friday !

I don't know what to make of Diedhiou. He looks nowhere near being a £5m player, or even a £500k player, but he rarely gets decent service. I'd like to see him playing in a decent team. On the other hand, Millwall's number 19, Tom Elliot, who came on as sub looked a far better player and he was signed from Wimbledon on a free in the summer.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Thought overall today we looked a bit leggy...perhaps the demands of chasing the ball for 70+ minutes on Tuesday.  I actually wondered how much the game had take out of us when stuck in the traffic around the ground today waiting for several police riot vans to move so I could get access to my parking space.  Was 15 minutes late, so only ratings for 75 +5 minutes!

Fielding 7 - two fantastic saves, came and plucked done crosses out of the air, and for once I am critical of his kicking, late on.  Proving very reliable at the mo'

Pisano 7 - I thought his positioning was excellent and the way he uses his body and strength is exemplary at time.  I think he is clever when we have the ball, creates angles to receive, and also happy to pass first tine inside to keep it moving.  My only reason for not giving an 8 was that he was part of a defensive unit that allowed Morison to win too much ball in the final 20 having starved him for the earlier part of the game.  Almost got a scrambled first goal for us in 2nd half.

Wright 6 - steady enough, but a bit too steady today.  Don't think he got us up the pitch quick enough today, and why does he pass the ball behind our players too often?  Decent enough, but seen him play better.  See above for the way we conceded headers in final 20.

Baker 7 - a toss up for me between him and Eros for MOTM.  Thought he did well in the air and on the ground, and nice to see him bring the ball forward.  For anyone listening to BBCRB, for him to be called a 'poor man's Aden Flint' is incredible.  Especially after the way he played Morison and Gregory (same caveat above re final 20) today.  Again, like Eros, his positioning is very good.  

Bryan 6 - not MOTM for me.  Did ok, but had chances in first half to drive forward and didn't take it, seemed to be playing within himself...maybe effects of kicks to ankle over past 2 games.  Of course almost scored the goal, a fine run and shot against the bar.  Did the keeper get a touch?  I don't think he was quite at it today and I usually gauge this by whether he gives our player an angle for a pass or whether he hides behind his marker.  Today it wasn't that, today was that (certainly first half) that he was too square of Baker and also took too long to knock it forward today.

Brownhill 6 - decent enough, but not the influence he can be.  He wasn't bad....made one lung-busting defensive run to get in a challenge,  it not enough impact today.

Pack 5 - my first name on the sheet, but this will be one of a very small number of games where he'll get less than 6.  Looked a bit laboured today, sloppy passes, clumsy challenges.

Smith 6 - buzzed around, like he usually does, but think he missed a decent Pack alongside him.  Decent enough first half, but gave it away too much second half with heavy touches.

Paterson 7 - thought he looked out most likely 'forward' player to create something.  Found great pockets in first half especially without having the final pass or finish / shot.  Wish he'd have blasted that chance rather than chip it.  Lots of unselfish running for others to benefit (like Bobby)

Diedhiou 5 - struggled physically today against more physical Millwall CBs.  Got pretty poor service.  Inches away at end of first half.  Got his yellow, and in some respects it's good to see he has that side to him.  Think he's still adjusting to pace / intensity and playing 4 games in quick possession.  Still opened out the play well on occasions....not his day today though.

Reid 6.5 - worked his socks off today without really getting the run of the ball, and thought he battled hard against physical opponents.  Like Paterson, found good pockets in first half, and the shot early in second half shows what confidence he is playing with.

O'Neil 6 - tried to drive us on, and I think he showed he's still got something to offer.

O'Dowda 6 - frustrates me with the amount of times he fouls his opponent needlessly.  Thought he tried to be creative, and better when he moved left side....where I think he will offer us more (plus has a good partnership with Joe).  Gonna have to go some if Eliasson is the biz.

Woodrow 6 - flashes of quality, but starved of decent ball.

Overall, I thought we played into Millwall's hands, especially second half where we gave away countless stupid free-kicks all over the pitch that allowed them to put balls in our box, slow the game down and take all our rhythm away.  Those chances near the end are ones where we'd have conceded last season, so I'm happy to get a point based on the overall play.  We didn't deserve less than a point, but we didn't really deserve anything more either!

Tactically, there wasn't a lot wrong, we just didn't move the ball around quickly enough to exploit a big, physical side.

Now to mix a few up for Watford, and give Joe a rest, ready to beat Villa next Friday !

Absolutely bang on the nail ( as you often are), saves me giving my ratings, but I wasn't going to bother anyway. An OTIB free week for me unless we sign Ronaldo. 

pack and smith have been our go too midfield pair over the last 2 and a bit seasons in the championship, they just aint got it if a team gets in there faces, standing off teams there fine, you just don't find many of them in this division.

our midfield stats have been very poor in terms of creating or getting a goal or 2.

I would have thought heagler bringing the ball out of defence would help us today, not complaining however about wright or bakers performance or any of the back four tbf.

we have had this issue since promotion and it needs to be dealt with.

if you cant beat millwall at home we are going to struggle

3 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I don't know what to make of Diedhiou. He looks nowhere near being a £5m player, or even a £500k player, but he rarely gets decent service. I'd like to see him playing in a decent team. On the other hand, Millwall's number 19, Tom Elliot, who came on as sub looked a far better player and he was signed from Wimbledon on a free in the summer.

Elliot did indeed look like a good prospect, particularly in the air where he beat Baker on an umber of occasions. Major difference to Deidhiou was that Elliot was given some space and a bit of service. When your centre forward is most conspicuous in his defensive duties, you should know you are in trouble...

4 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I do worry that we've had our pants pulled down with our angers loyalty card firmly in hand... hope he comes good - time will tell. :fingerscrossed:

7 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Both worth 8 for me.

I've liked your post , but I'm going 7 each for the centre halfs. 8 for Frankie. The rest you could throw a blanket over. 5's

17 hours ago, old_eastender said:

what game were you watching Paterson was by far our best player 

Archived