IGNORED

Writing the season off already?

Crimson Crayola

2 hours ago, MarkRed! said:

I think the big issue is our balance. Neither Brownhill or Paterson I would say are wingers. Brownhill is an attacking CM as is Paterson. We need to play with wingers as at both Brentford and Millwall there was no width at all. Both Brownhill and Paterson kept coming in centrally and everything was therefore too congested.  Bryan tried to provide width down the left. Other than a couple of runs, Pizano did not get down the right and neither did Brownhill. Everything was trying to go through the middle and most of the time through the air. I cannot understand the "hoof" tactic given that we don't have a lot of height at the top of the team. Reid, Smith, Paterson, Brownhill are under 6ft.   We all know that LJ is tactically inept and we could make the same points about what we were doing last season. He has not learned. I still don't think he knows his best 11. I think we have to go with (4411):

Fielding, Pisano, Baker, Hegeler, Bryan, Pack, Brownhill, Eliason, Odowda, Paterson, Diedhou

Paterson would play the 10 role until Taylor is fit. Don't think Woodrow is the answer.

So you would drop Reid ? 

5 hours ago, Just8 said:

Morning folks, regular reader here but a very infrequent poster due to generally just wanting to read about the club I love and the community that supports it rather than thinking I have anything of value and importance to say.

Im making an acception to my own rule because I'v reached the point where I no longer wish to come here as much. What used to be a site for healthy debate is becoming a tool for the those who just want to promote their own agenda ignoring all others.

I am neither a Johnson in or out man (I enjoyed writing that). I was underwhelmed by his appointment and get frustrated by a lot of his tactical decsions and BS personality in front of camera. But I appreciate he has a lot of love for the club and he and landsdown are going about many things in the right way.

He will always be divisive and I'm not suggesting we stop discussing him or ignore his mistakes or successes but could we temper the incessant, copy and paste posts designed purely to support ones own agenda. In favour of something more constructive? 

I love otib, but the ongoing vitriol and repeated points again and again are making it a lot harder to ignore my girlfriend.

cheers

just8

What he said, this site has been hijacked by the LJ out brigade who seem to turn every topic to their poisoned agenda. Go to the matches and you dont get any of this . Just like their supposed boycots and demos last year which of course only ever happened on their keyboards. 

44 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

You can have all the strikers in the world, but they won't score with out the service.

We lack physical strength in the middle of the park. That's why it becomes wave after wave of attack against us. Wingers and playmakers like Pack are a luxury that becomes useless unless we are winning the hard battles in the middle of the park.

Tell me that I am not the only one who thinks this is blindingly obvious?

Pack is a very good passer of the ball, he strikes the ball as well as I've seen down the years at AG.

As you say, the problem is we don't have the players in central midfield to enable Pack to use his passing ability.

Most importantly we don't have the running wide man/men to enable him to use his passing ability. 

Infact, if Pack doesn't have the 'runners' for him to find, ( and clearly we don't ) then I don't see the point of him being in the side in the first place!.

48 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

What he said, this site has been hijacked by the LJ out brigade who seem to turn every topic to their poisoned agenda. Go to the matches and you dont get any of this . Just like their supposed boycots and demos last year which of course only ever happened on their keyboards. 

To be honest, yesterday I was thinking the same about the opposite group. Sometimes it feels like you are not entitled to your own opinion because you don't agree with certain posters or SL. I'm not going to be bullied into an opposite point of view because it doesn't suit certain people. It just gets a bit tedious being constantly accused of having an agenda - why try to stifle a debate? Since the beginning of the season all I've read on here is reasoned debate and actual concern about the position we are in.

2 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

Not sure that's entirely true. An awful lot of people I know don't care for him any more, but are there to support the team. Chat to them at 2:55, h-t and exiting the ground and they have plenty to say about what he gets wrong. But they're being supportive - for how long, who knows - by with-holding any vocal criticism of him. Apart from when we take of a tiring Pack and replace him with an already tired and old Gary O'Neil who comes on to no effect (again). There were plenty of substitute-based groans then. 

You may well be right about keyboard stuff - I dunno, as soon as a thread gets too extreme one way or the other I ignore it - but I wouldn't be so sure about the Gate being a safe haven for the manager.

8 hours ago, Just8 said:

I am neither a Johnson in or out man (I enjoyed writing that). I was underwhelmed by his appointment and get frustrated by a lot of his tactical decsions and BS personality in front of camera. But I appreciate he has a lot of love for the club and he and landsdown are going about many things in the right way.

He will always be divisive and I'm not suggesting we stop discussing him or ignore his mistakes or successes but could we temper the incessant, copy and paste posts designed purely to support ones own agenda. In favour of something more constructive? 

Personally I had more or less written the season off before Aug 5th. Written it off as in, it won't be (much) better than last season, certainly not enough better to be considered a season of progress. I've seen nothing to change that opinion so far, although I am willing to be open to be proved wrong - for instance I am not Bobby Reid's smallest fan, let alone his biggest, but I have been impressed with his positioning and play so far, even yesterday when he was largely anonymous, through little fault of his own, yet he produced two or three excellent moments of high skill (a turn on the halfway line in the 1st half for example) which no-one else in the club could achieve, bar Paterson maybe. 

Even if Johnson turns out to be a great manager for us, it's too soon after last year for that to happen. He needs time still to get his squad right and then coach them, that's a further 2 or 3 year 'project' in my eyes. I don't think he'll do any of that, but it's doubtful he can turn the errors of 16/17 into a season that isn't a write-off, given his track record of accepting responsibility and improving himself, let alone players.

A write-off season for me is one where we neither go up/sniff the play-offs/properly improve on the previous campaign nor do we go down. ie a season where we don't go anywhere, just drift, almost waiting for the following year. That's almost where I'm at right now - I don't think we'll go down (largely because there hopefully should be 3 teams worse than us [and that in itself already makes it a write-off season, the fact we're relying on 3 others to be shyter than us]), but neither will we push up the table from last year. Therefore one of two things will happen, for me - either Johnson will still be here next August having had two more windows and without doubt by then his own team by whom he lives or dies; or the hierarchy get fed up of him not moving us forward and replace him (many will obvs say that won't happen under the current owner). 

I don't think we'll be as bad as last year - how could we be? - but equally the squad looks no better than 12 or 6 months ago and I see a thin bench and average players outside the self-picking first 14 or so. That's a write-off situation for me. Wait another 12 months and see where we are then...... Let's hope the squad, management etc etc aren't being as potentially laissez-faire as me, though. 

Sorry, that's about as constructive/positive as I can be.

9 hours ago, Just8 said:

Morning folks, regular reader here but a very infrequent poster due to generally just wanting to read about the club I love and the community that supports it rather than thinking I have anything of value and importance to say.

Im making an acception to my own rule because I'v reached the point where I no longer wish to come here as much. What used to be a site for healthy debate is becoming a tool for the those who just want to promote their own agenda ignoring all others.

I love otib, but the ongoing vitriol and repeated points again and again are making it a lot harder to ignore my girlfriend.

cheers

just8

You should think carefully before you stop reading this forum.

I've personally never been a professional footballer, coached professional footballers or worked day to day within a professional football club, but It's quite clear to me that a lot of people on this forum have.

I'm not sure where else you'll get the same level of knowledge, tactical insight and footballing wisdom if not from this forum.

I personally find it enlightening.

Archived