IGNORED

Player Power...Is it slipping?

Mr Popodopolous

On 20/08/2017 at 21:48, Mr Popodopolous said:

Saw a good article the other day.

Plus closer to home, our insisting on the right price for Flint, if indeed he will be sold (if he even wants to leave in any case).

Is player power slipping? Seems clubs are wresting a bit back this summer. Look at Coutinho/Dembele Dortmund- or lack of thusfar. Look at Van Dijk.

http://www.football365.com/news/f365-says-the-summer-that-busted-the-player-power-myth

What do we think?

I'm not sure if it is slipping in any other club, but certainly is at BCFC imo. Firstly we don't have to sell if we don't want to and our valuations are not met, due to the SL factor. I also think it has slipped by simply sticking by our manager through such a turgid time last season. Far to often have players seemingly downed tools & as good as got a manager sacked. I'm hoping that last season sends out a message that we do things differently now. COYR 

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I reckon you will be right. Of course the pulling power of Real, Barca and in some cases Atletico may see them able to negotiate big release clauses for most, but in general terms quite agree.

Could also add to my small list, Dybala- though so far as I know he's happy at Juventus but they didn't buckle when offered around €160m for him. They just refused- Alex Sandro also they refused to sell to Chelsea- again not suggesting he's unhappy there but in past times clubs may see big money and try and sell.

Closer to home we've still got Aden Flint. If he can re-integrate fully he will be like a new signing.

Happy Hörður stayed too- he can play centre back or left back.

Sakho at West Ham too, though I didn't follow that one so not sure on the story. 

Good if true, the money coming into clubs certainly clubs like leicester or southampton, means that unless they are relegated there is no huge need for the money, and they would have to find an adequate replacement. Apart from diego costa, who we all know is a nut job, clubs seem to be calling the shots a bit more.

Archived