IGNORED

Rooney retires from International Football

BobBobSuperBob

16 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Fully expect him to be involved at the World Cup. Right now Rooney is getting back to the Wayne Rooney of old, playing in pretty much pointless qualifiers is just a distraction he doesn't need right now. He just needs to concentrate on himself and Everton without any distractions.

If he bangs in 15 - 20 goals this season the whole country will be calling for him to come out of retirement and Wayne will find that call impossible to resist.

Wouldn't be surprised if this was how the conversation between him and Southgate went, both of them save face this way.

Or, he'll flatter to deceive for a few months and then slip back into the semi-anonymous journeyman state that occupied the long periods when he wasn't negotiating a new contract with Man United.

I won't be calling for him to come out of retirement if he scores 30 goals for Everton.  He's had his chance.  In fact, he's had many, many chances.

It's time for the team to be built around younger players.  Hopefully they won't enjoy cigarettes, beer and grannies as much as Rooney does.

32 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Somewhat skewed by the fact that from late 1961 to the end of Charlton's career, England were not involved in any world cup qualifiers, and the Euros were, if I recall correctly, a much slimmed down competition.

That said, you can only score against those you are up against, and you can't knock Rooney for his overall tally even if I think he still failed to deliver most of what he was clearly capable of. 

And off at a tangent, a friend of mine here is very good friends with Peter Shilton: the friend was telling me that the overall caps record is one thing Shilton is very protective of, and no doubt he will be one happy camper with this news.

This true.... But it didn't fit my argument to mention that :whistle:

1 hour ago, petehinton said:

Absolutely unbelievable talent & servant to club & country. People who slate him are exactly the reason why England is light years behind other countries when it comes to football. 

Thank you Wayne. 

What a strange standpoint. Acknowledging the absolute Fact that Rooney hasn't performed at a major tournament for England since 2004 isn't why we are light years behind anyone, how utterly laughable. He froze on the big stage time and time again, I'm not just digging Rooney out mind you it's an English thing, the reasons are down to a culmination of things going right back to grass roots level in this country. Fair play to him he scored x amount of goals and was a good servant but he won't be remembered for doing anything of note on the world stage.

Let us now move on to yet the NEXT batch of young Englishman and see if they have the bottle and the talent to at least get us to a major tournament semi-final or final, I certainly won't be holding my breath though!

14 minutes ago, shelts said:

Fair play Rooney all them caps and our nations topest scorer. Always felt he didn't quite fulfil his potential and could've been even better . 

Likes grannies in all. Lovely lad 

Maybe they took a lot out of him........

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

What has my talent got to do with with it?

When passing judgement we should also look closer to home. Wayne Rooney played in the EPL at 16. Was a star at Euro 2004.

Looking at the bloke physically he is an endomorph. He struggles with his weight and the hulking shape his genes give him.

He is an achiever. A man who has made history. Maybe an over achiever.

So what did you do with your talents?

24 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'm not going into my talents as that is completely irrelevant. My point is I'm glad Rooney has retired as he has been poor in every tournement since he was 18. If someone replies with reasons they think I'm wrong then fair enough. This thread is about Wayne Rooney, not me. 

He was born no super species with no unusual physical abilities like the rest of us, but reached the peaks of the game. He is an outliner. A achiever. He has to have worked relentlessly hard to get where he did ...  And people who will never attempt to excel at anything with their own talents disregard the mans achievements.

47 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

When passing judgement we should also look closer to home. Wayne Rooney played in the EPL at 16. Was a star at Euro 2004.

Looking at the bloke physically he is an endomorph. He struggles with his weight and the hulking shape his genes give him.

He is an achiever. A man who has made history. Maybe an over achiever.

So what did you do with your talents?

g1442970226947966754.jpg

1 hour ago, Roger Red Hat said:

Eh? I'd be very surprised the conversation went like that!

I wouldn't be. Recently there has been a lot of media attention about him being recalled. On current form if he was left out it would over shadow the qualifiers. 

Wayne probably answered the phone and said tbh I don't fancy it at the minute as I'm concentrating on being in top shape for Everton.

None of them wanted to look bad so could have come up with this solution. 

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Good against rubbish teams. Awful in every major tournament since he was 18, so happy he's retired.

2006 - rushed back from injury 

2008 - didn't qualify 

2010 - rushed back from injury

2012 - suspended for half the games ( own fault granted ) 

2014 - shunted out of position for that years flavour of the month! Sturridge who did FA.. 

2016 - shunted out of position for that years flavour of the month! Kane who did FA.. 

3 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I would say some have been more of a disappointment than others for England. For how highly Rooney has been rated, he has probably been the biggest let down in tournaments imo.

With Rooney's undoubted ability, you'd definitely be looking at him to galvanize the team as he became one of the senior players, especially as there's been a paucity of top talent in the last decade or so.

When he burst onto the scene in 04, the team had experienced players with excellent natural ability - Scholes, Owen, Beckham, Gerrard, yet Rooney upstaged them all.

You get to 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016 and he's supposedly at the peak of his powers, the pick of some pretty ordinary squads and yet he hasn't made the difference in the way that, say, Beckham did in Japan.

Bit simplistic all that but I don't think it would've been unreasonable to expect a bit more from him. And that's not to take away from an impressive career.

It'll be a long time before England produces a player of comparable natural ability IMO.

6 hours ago, WessexPest said:

Broadly agree with this - remember seeing him light up Euro 2004, probably the last competition that England had a realistic chance of winning.

Great achievement to become leading all-time goalscorer even though some of the opposition has been poor.

I too, though, can't help feeling that he underdelivered mostly on the big stage. WC 2006 he wasn't match fit and probably shouldn't have gone, but 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2016 he was pretty anonymous.

Scorer of some incredible goals.

He's gone into every major tournament with an injury! He broke his foot 3 times in 3 years, as well as ligament damage in his knee. He can't carry us through every tournament, other players needed to step up.

The guy is massively under appreciated and it's a shame, for many I think it's purely down to club bias.

that said, I think this is the right decision. It's time to look to the younger options.

6 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

I think the only disappointment,  in an outstanding international career, is that after 2004 he never really did it in the World Cup or Euro tournaments.  2006 WC was recovering from injury plus got sent off v Portugal.  2008 we did not qualify (Wally with the Brolly).  2010 in SA he was staggeringly out of touch and never really recovered from that, tournament wise. 

But, like England throughout that time, he was brilliant (2008 excluded) in the qualifying stages. 

He was injured. He was nowhere near match fit, but if the manager picks him he's gonna play!

5 hours ago, WhistleHappy said:

How can he afford to retire?  a footballers career is so short maximise your income to tide you over in later life.. blimey I'm worried for him now, I hope he'll be able to manage... still he has still got his day job for now I guess, make the most of that Wayne and try to save a bob or two for rainy days in future...  it's shit on benefits and oap pensions, don't even mention bedroom taxes or foodbank queues .... early retirement doesn't bode well for the future. Are you sure you want to go through with this Wayne? Think about it.

Of course a joke post, but they don't get paid on England duty - it's all donated to charity.

2 hours ago, winterbournered said:

2006 - rushed back from injury 

2008 - didn't qualify 

2010 - rushed back from injury

2012 - suspended for half the games ( own fault granted ) 

2014 - shunted out of position for that years flavour of the month! Sturridge who did FA.. 

2016 - shunted out of position for that years flavour of the month! Kane who did FA.. 

He was also injured in 2012- if memory serves woy gave him extra time off to recover from a toe injury.

I also seem to remember he was either Ill or injured at the tail end of 2014... Giggs not playing him in the final game or something. 

So you could make an arguement that he has only been fully fit in two major tournaments... And one of those ended because of injury!

Rooney strikes me as the type of player who needs to be playing to stay 100% fit.

36 minutes ago, hodge said:

May not have reached his potential but as England's all time top scorer deserves his place amongst England's best best. Can only score against the teams he had to play against. 

Agreed but time to stand aside now,

If he would of stayed at Everton all of his career he would be appreciated by a lot more people. 

England have tried playing others sturridge rubbish Kane and vardy rubbish yet it's still Rooneys fault that England don't perform. 

Give it 20 years and I think most people will rate him a lot higher than they do now. 

1 hour ago, cider-manc said:

He was also injured in 2012- if memory serves woy gave him extra time off to recover from a toe injury.

I also seem to remember he was either Ill or injured at the tail end of 2014... Giggs not playing him in the final game or something. 

So you could make an arguement that he has only been fully fit in two major tournaments... And one of those ended because of injury!

Rooney strikes me as the type of player who needs to be playing to stay 100% fit.

I don't think he's gone into any tournament fully fit. Even went into 2004 with a sprained ankle.

2014 struggled with a groin injury from January til at least May possibly longer.

2016 recovering from ligament damage.

i honestly believe he was incredibly unlucky with tournaments and we never saw his full potential for those reasons

5 hours ago, winterbournered said:

Here is my problem with that.  Taken as a striker to those tournaments. Not really played in an advanced position.   However, he was shoe horned into a side that frankly didn't need him.  The "quaterback role" he played completely slowed down England as an attacking force.  I went on record and said if he goes to the Euro 2016 and is not preferred to Kane then he sits on the bench.  We had better midfielders sat on the bench to make way for him.

However Roy persisted in playing him deep.  Simply not good enough to play that role it slowed England down, and we went crashing out.  Not saying for one minute it was his fault, just an observation.

England need to attach teams with pace.  Rooney didnt give us that option.

Wayne Rooney was a great servant to England.  Has my respect for banging in 200 PL goals.

Steve

3 hours ago, RichardEdd said:

I think it's as simple as he's has been one of our best ever players but it always felt like he should have been more. Like he should have gone on to be at the level of a Ronaldo or a Messi.

Had it not been for all his injuries he certainly could have gone on to achieve far more.

The problem with Rooney is , I don't think he is naturally a fit guy and has to work extremely harder than others to recover from injury. The likes of Ronaldo and Messi, following a injury you can drop them back into the action and it's like they have never been away, Rooney takes a good couple of months to regain his match fitness and get back to his best.

9 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As title, 

After speculation whether he might get a recall - sounds like he established this wasn't on horizon and has retired from ain't foitball

Scored a lot of goals for us and always made himself available

Always still think what might have been

Thanks and wel played Wayne

Gazza, currently for me, is still my fav football player to play in the England shirt.- 90 and 96 still to this day are the closest we've ever come to an international wins and I believe Gazza figured predominantly.

Wayne is probably joint second with a number of other players.

All said and done, Wayne is a class football player and I wish him all the best.

Archived