IGNORED

Nice Touch

SedRA

No, not my ability to kill a long ball instantly whilst sprinting full speed. 

Call it corporate PR or whatever but thought this was a nice little message from the club and LJ for those receiving their GCSE results today. 

And for any young'uns reading I very much agree that if you doesn't get the results you want, it doesn't mean the end of the road by any stretch! I have plenty of evidence for that :)

Nice from LJ (yes, I am actually praising him). :clap:

My lad just got his results and we are well pleased, passed nine including a distinction in engineering. That's gonna cost me a few quid as a reward but it's money I'm happy to spend. :)

Well done City and well done to my lad too. 

8 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Nice from LJ (yes, I am actually praising him). :clap:

My lad just got his results and we are well pleased, passed nine including a distinction in engineering. That's gonna cost me a few quid as a reward but it's money I'm happy to spend. :)

Well done City and well done to my lad too. 

Tell you what Son, go and see Mum and she'll give you a little out of her housekeeping this week.

Pops

21 minutes ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

Never collected my results lied on every CV turned out alright for me! 

Too much information Lee , but perhaps not the best idea to brag about it on the club's forum! :)

P.S. Will you pick Flint to start tomorrow night?

57 minutes ago, RedSA said:

Call it corporate PR or whatever but thought this was a nice little message from the club and LJ for those receiving their GCSE results today. 

And for any young'uns reading I very much agree that if you doesn't get the results you want, it doesn't mean the end of the road by any stretch! I have plenty of evidence for that :)

Surprised he didn't add that he hoped all those expecting their results "had a little tickle".

23 minutes ago, iamalagerdrinker said:

Never collected my results lied on every CV turned out alright for me! 

Absolutely! I have never once had to prove my GCSE results, so if any youngsters reading, didn't quite get the results they had hoped for, don't worry. When you fill out a job application, just put the results that you would liked to have a achieved and the jobs a good 'un!

2 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Absolutely! I have never once had to prove my GCSE results, so if any youngsters reading, didn't quite get the results they had hoped for, don't worry. When you fill out a job application, just put the results that you would liked to have a achieved and the jobs a good 'un!

I applied for the Fire Service a few years ago and got into training and never had to prove my r

Remember the day well

To the young 'uns, as others have said, it's not the end of the world if it doesn't go to plan

Just be a decent human, take every opportunity that presents itself to learn and improve. Grab every experience you can, and move on when you stop learning. I got 1 B, and I've done ok (so far!)

When interviewing now I'd take personality and experience over GCSE results

54 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

That is nice! Well done LJ, very thoughtful. And to any lads and lasses collecting your results today, remember you are so much more than just a letter of the alphabet.

I think that this year the kids get a number rather than a lettered grade.

So that won't make things more confusing.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is a nice message. Well done LJ.

Noticed at the bottom of the tweet, and this is possibly irrelevant but "09:01 - 24 Aug 2017 · South East, England "

Seen it on a couple of others, e.g. FGW tweets and similar. Wondered if anyone knew why?

This happens if the tweet is sent via smartphone. It often displays the location of the service provider, rather than the tweeter.

For my lad, it just means he can stay where he is (IKB academy) for his 'A' levels. 

As has been said before, I've never been asked for my school qualifications and don't question them when I interview. Trade / advanced qualifications and personality matter more TBH. School qualifications are just a means to get to the important stuff IMHO, means a lot when you're 16 though.

2 hours ago, RedSA said:

I've always liked lee as a bloke and had plenty of time for him, this season I think he's tried to reign in the super happy, chummy guy bit he got stick for last season and in my opinion is coming across even better now. 

FWIW - I absolutely wanked my GCSE's up the wall first time around and I ended up doing pretty ok for myself.

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

I have 9 gcses A - C and 3 a levels. Never once had to show my certificates. No idea where they are either. May have been binned!

Theresa May has them Peg, and look where she got with them!

I'm old enough to have O Levels and CSE's, worked bloody hard and got a clean sweep of excellent grades ( before anyone jumps in and says I'm bragging carry on reading....) My point is that I pretty much never used them. It was a means to getting to college and from there I got other qualifications and experience which enabled me to get a career.

All you have to prove Is your ability to learn. Showing you can be reliable in holding down a 'pocket money' job whilst at school is another thing that got me infront of many. I've noticed that counted for a lot when my own children were going through their first steps from education to work too. 

Good of the club to do this, I know many kids will think it's the end of the world today despite what their parents tell them, but they might listen to someone like a football manager or player. Many people have failed at school and gone on to do well at a different college or as Lee mentions Bristol City do education courses and retakes etc, sometimes it just needs a different teacher and different surroundings. Best of luck all. 

Surprised to see so many downplaying their importance - both GCSEs and A-Levels are important exams.

Granted, you can do very well without them - but it's always going to be an advantage to do well in them.

Also unwise to lie about them, these days schools will naturally be far better at collating information digitally so an employer can verify though that, they won't ask for certificates.  

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Surprised to see so many downplaying their importance - both GCSEs and A-Levels are important exams.

Granted, you can do very well without them - but it's always going to be an advantage to do well in them.

Also unwise to lie about them, these days schools will naturally be far better at collating information digitally so an employer can verify though that, they won't ask for certificates.  

I think it`s an age thing mate. I can`t see the results of some exams (five grade C O levels, the rest unclassified) that I took nearly 45 years ago would have any relevance to any job I was applying for now. If I was forty years younger then I agree, they would be important as they are really the only qualifications anyone can use to judge someone on as you`ve not had the time or experience in work to be able to use that.

31 minutes ago, brizzlelou said:

I've always liked lee as a bloke and had plenty of time for him, this season I think he's tried to reign in the super happy, chummy guy bit he got stick for last season and in my opinion is coming across even better now. 

FWIW - I absolutely wanked my GCSE's up the wall first time around and I ended up doing pretty ok for myself.

The message "be the best you can be, work hard and you'll have a great life" grates a bit with me because it's often not true (it is a Tory lie) - there is much, much more to people's life chances than that and it is psychologically damaging for the individual to believe otherwise.

Lee Johnson was blessed with 'athleticism', a very rare opportunity and the chance of being a part of a glamorous, multi-million pound industry.  I'm not suggesting he also didn't work hard or "become the best he could be" but he was dealt a very favourable hand in life.

Still, fair play to him for the sentiment and I wish the best to our 16 y/o's, especially the ones who didn't get what they had hoped for today.

It is a damn right lie and tantamount to child abuse to tell teenagers these exams will dictate their entire future.  It's an absolutely disgusting message!

10 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I think it`s an age thing mate. I can`t see the results of some exams (five grade C O levels, the rest unclassified) that I took nearly 45 years ago would have any relevance to any job I was applying for now. If I was forty years younger then I agree, they would be important as they are really the only qualifications anyone can use to judge someone on as you`ve not had the time or experience in work to be able to use that.

You're probably right. I doubt many employers really cared before the digital age, these days there's the means to double check if they really want to.

Granted, its unlikely an employer would want to double check GCSEs, but better to be safe than sorry.

A-Levels I think they might given that the whole process of applying to University and results is done online.

The video is a nice touch, whether LJ initiated it or it was the media team. 

Archived