IGNORED

Under My Carpet

Nogbad the Bad

Emptying my sitting room ready for fitting of new carpet, i've come across an old One team in Bristol, issue 30, from, by the looks of it, about December 1995.

Made interesting reading. The manager was Joe Jordan, we were in Div.2 and we were being treated to the delights of watching the likes of Seal, Nugent, Kuhl, Bent, Agostino, Dryden, Bryant, Shail, Hewlett as well as Barnard and Tinnion.

My point in posting about it though was the crowds on the Stats Page.

Best home crowd - 7,734 v. Blackpool (This is before we'd played Rovers at home, apparently we were "4 points behind the gas")

Worst home crowd - 4,408 v. Chesterfield. I remember that one, night match with Sieb Dykstra in goal.

We'd be shocked if we got gates like that now. But we're in the same division and now we're surprised if we get less than 10,000.

I know that it was an incredibly dull period in City's recent history, but as we're still in the same division the fans must be seeing City doing something right these days.

Comparing the squads and the period, i reckon it's having a manager who (generally) aims to win playing attacking football plus stopping the policy of signing ageing players who palpably didn't really care. The Academy, providing home-grown players, and an almost visibly better future, also comes into it . Not forgetting the GWR Family Stand as we seem to have more kids watching City than i can ever remember.

Whatever the reason, it's a tremendous percentage attendance increase now for what, on the surface, is the same product.

By the way the new carpet's smashing, the cats are delirious getting their claws into it. :(

I saw the names of Seal and Agostino there and thought "why were the gates so low?" then I saw the names Dryden, Kuhl and Hewlett :(:) .

Still it does seem strange, how much of it is down to the initiatives that the club have put in place? Cheap season tickets for kid's and the like must have had an effect, that coupled with the fact that gates are generally up everywhere.

PS. As our new kitten is singlehandedly destroying our three piece suite, you definitely have my sympathy feline wise :(

Dryden won the prize for the 'least likely City player ever to sign, play for, and score for a premier league side'. Heard he's gone, was quite relieved, and assumed it was Torquay or something. Could have blown me over with a feather when told it was the Saints.

Didn't Lawrenson on HTV at the time say if Dryden was still playing for Southampton at the end of the year he would parade naked down Bristol High St? He was, and he didn't, thank heavens.

Dryden won the prize for the 'least likely City player ever to sign, play for, and score for a premier league side'. 

Ralph Milne must run him close. Startling departure, though did he ever score for Manchester U?

As for Dryden, remember him putting the v's up at the Atyeo in the very Chesterfield game mentioned above.

Not a very bright thing to do and if the faithful 4,500 that night didn't like him just think what the stayaways who couldn't even stand to watch him anymore thought of him. :Cheeky22:

Archived