IGNORED

Luke Steele - Confirmed signing.

Phileas Fogg

14 hours ago, Ian M said:

IMG_5797.PNG

Fact 1: The 31 year old shot stopper...

Wrong, he's 32, 33 next month.

Fact 2: ...has played for 7 clubs since turning professional. 

Wrong, he's been at 6 clubs, featuring in the first team ("playing") for 5 of them. 

Basic research. 

Let's try and be fair to BP. At least they are covering the BRISTOL area and do POST things. Bless them!

7 hours ago, bpexile said:

Just watched his 1st interview with City, he comes across has a very well informed, genuine guy who should fit in very well, welcome aboard Luke.

Absolutely.

Really impressive, articulate interview. He comes across as considerably smarter than your average footballer.

Also, fair play to Adam Baker for a series of sensible, interesting questions- clear he had done his research and that, along with the interviewee, produced a very good watch.

8 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely.

Really impressive, articulate interview. He comes across as considerably smarter than your average footballer.

Also, fair play to Adam Baker for a series of sensible, interesting questions- clear he had done his research and that, along with the interviewee, produced a very good watch.

I'm waiting for the 5 star article from Gregor McGregor in the post,

Have tbh - can't say I recall lots about Steele at Barnsley etc , other than being involved in the FA Cup Run, and so no idea how I'd rate him as a keeper

But his CV stacks up and what a level headed sensible lad - Just the sort of character to have around the place and an ideal fit , it looks like , to compete with FF but not throw a strop if he's not first choice at any given time

Guess we might use him against Stoke ?

Welcome Luke

Greetings City fans,

Just came on board to shed some light on Luke Steele.

First all all your've signed a player who works hard, is very honest and a team man.

Although he had a sh*tter last year letting in some very soft goals but he was quite good for us for a couple years. There were even reports about him being looked at for the England team last year.

Last year was a disaster for him letting in goals from long distance and he was ultimately dropped having said himself "I would have dropped myself had I been coach". His place was taken by under -21 German international of Greek heritage Oddyseas Vlachodimos who Pana banked on putting on the shop window to raise his market value. This worked as Benfica came in for an offer last night but it was just too late in the transfer window to complete. Luke was never going to play as 1st team regular again because due to the financial strife we are in, we want to give young guys a shot to sell them and cover our debts.

Pro's: Excellent reflexes and is very good at one-on-one situations whilst he saved 4-5 penalties in his time with the club. He's very vocal and directs defence well too.

Con''s: Is a bit suspect with the high ball and often is caught out by long distance shots. This usually would happen in games Pana were dominating and the opposition rarely attacked so he definitely has concentration issues.

We will have good memories of Luke and I can tell you he has the respect of the club and fans going as far to give up on the money the club owed him to ease our 30-35 million euro debts which has been the reason we have been struggling the last 5 years.

Feel free to ask any questions you like!

CwB9NWQWEAIM5qe.jpg

1 hour ago, Panathinaikos Fan said:

Greetings City fans,

First all all your've signed a player who works hard, is very honest and a team man.

Although he had a sh*tter last year letting in some very soft goals but he was quite good for us for a couple years. There were even reports about him being looked at for the England team last year.

Last year was a disaster for him letting in goals from long distance and he was ultimately dropped having said himself "I would have dropped myself had I been coach". His place was taken by under -21 German international of Greek heritage Oddyseas Vlachodimos who Pana banked on putting on the shop window to raise his market value. This worked as Benfica came in for an offer last night but it was just too late in the transfer window to complete. Luke was never going to play as 1st team regular again because due to the financial strife we are in, we want to give young guys a shot to sell them and cover our debts.

Pro's: Excellent reflexes and is very good at one-on-one situations whilst he saved 4-5 penalties in his time with the club. He's very vocal and directs defence well too.

Con''s: Is a bit suspect with the high ball and often is caught out by long distance shots. This usually would happen in games Pana were dominating and the opposition rarely attacked so he definitely has concentration issues.

We will have good memories of Luke and I can tell you he has the respect of the club and fans going as far to give up on the money the club owed him to ease our 30-35 million euro debts which has been the reason we have been struggling the last 5 years.

Thanks for taking the trouble to come on and post :thumbsup:

Always nice to hear the sensible balanced views of a supporter who has seen lots of him

Welcome to the forum and good luck to Panathanikos for the coming season 

1 hour ago, Panathinaikos Fan said:

Greetings City fans,

CwB9NWQWEAIM5qe.jpg

What is the wing velocity of a swallow ? 

Where did I leave my glasses? 

Thanks for your contribution. We are spoilt here at City your forum must be a right laugh ! 

Good luck for the future. 

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Have tbh - can't say I recall lots about Steele at Barnsley etc , other than being involved in the FA Cup Run, and so no idea how I'd rate him as a keeper

But his CV stacks up and what a level headed sensible lad - Just the sort of character to have around the place and an ideal fit , it looks like , to compete with FF but not throw a strop if he's not first choice at any given time

Guess we might use him against Stoke ?

Welcome Luke

Well said BBSB. I was immediately struck by his thoughtful, articulate and honest responses in his first interview. Given his experience and age he seems an ideal addition that brings much needed competition for Frankie. Although the insights offered by PF make clear that he has some downsides!

Welcome to BS3 Luke, enjoy your football at BCFC.

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Absolutely.

Indeed, and so refreshing to hear him refer to 'The management and staff' rather than the usual term 'gaffer'. 

14 hours ago, jackofromrugby said:

AEK ole, ole, ole, AEK ole, AEK ole ole ole.......... endured a few AEK PAO derbies back in the 90's.  At the time I was the AEK Original Gate 21 guest English idiot!  Loved every minute out there and kept being bought Mythos beer by the natives!  Panathinaikos = green tarts!  

Ah, Mr Steele...... I've been expecting you.

Perhaps his first name should be Remington, anyone remember the TV series?

Was talking to one of Luke Steele's mates this afternoon ( Luke is a Peterborough lad) who told me that there were 11 clubs after LS this summer, with a good few in the championship.

3 hours ago, downendcity said:

Was talking to one of Luke Steele's mates this afternoon ( Luke is a Peterborough lad) who told me that there were 11 clubs after LS this summer, with a good few in the championship.

But, but, but no-one wants to play for LJ or so I`ve been told.:ph34r:

Seriously though, it`s always good to hear stuff like this - welcome Luke, we know you`ve made the right choice.

Rated Luke Steele when he played for us and he is a top guy as well. He left when we shipped out the bigger earners when we were relegated to L1. It was inevitable that we had to let him go as you can't keep a top wage keeper in L1 when there's plenty of able keepers around who can do a job at that level for a fraction of the money. Nevertheless, it was sad to see him go. 

You may recall when we beat Liverpool in the FA cup on our way to the semi final (god is it nearly 10 years ago??). Well that was Luke Steele's debut and he played the game of his life. Like Roy of the Rovers crossed with Billy the Fish. He had only met his team mates the day before. Still didn't know half their names. He was therefore a bit of a hero from day 1 :)

Archived