IGNORED

Darren Caskey

Big Red Rich

A fit and vibrant Darren Caskey would be a tremendous asset to the team.

A fat, useless Darren Caskey would be of no threat to our aim of promotion this season as he will be shown the door in ten days time.

So why is everyone quick to judge the lad? He is 29 and is facing life on the football s####heap. We may be just in time to save him from that heap and help him revive a once very promising career, hence improving our squad.

Lets give him our full support for the next ten days and hope he does well, unless of course, you want him to fail? Thats what is seems to me liek some of you want him to do.

Am I wrong in thinking this?

I agree, since he signed on deadline day the majority of people have been willing him to fail. As Rich has said a fit and hungry(mind the pun) Darren Caskey would be a huge asset to Bristol City. I'm sure we'll see him on saturday at Newport so lets support the bloke and get him to want to play for Bristol City.

Lets put it this way mate: If you cant get motivated, with a new contract pending on it, and your team is in the relegation poo, when can ya??? And do we want someone like that on our team. and he admits to problems too....Gazza anyone?Various county and Reading fans I've spoken too, werent awfully complimentary about him either. I would rather have kept Rougier personally.

We as a skint div 2 team CANNOT afford the risk of him maybe turning out a good player, of of him losing interest half way through, like he did at County.

i don't want him to fail but would like him fit

playing well and not just here due to a old pals

act as he is good mates with tinns and shaun taylor.

let's hope he comes good  :dunno:

I totally agree, I admit that a fit and hungry Caskey would be an asset to the team but at the age of 29 is he suddenly going to be hit by a thunderbolt and realise what a complete mess he's made of his career. I think that anything more than a month to month contract would be risky as we can't let him fall back into the comfort zone of good money for little / no effort a la Notts County & Reading.

I think you're reading it wrong there, BigRed. People who are against Caskey don't WANT him to fail, they just can't see how he could succeed - there is a difference. Me, I think he could - COULD, not "will" - just be the best signing we've made in a long while, IF he knuckles down. It ain't rocket science Darren - you don't lose that much talent simply by putting on a few pounds. Prove me right ?

I agree with most people that a fit Caskey will do well. Maybe he just needs a new challenge? Maybe a move to a team like city can bring the best out of him, with respect to Notts County, it must have been a bit depressing playing for a team that has been near the bottom of the league for a few years now and then being religated last year. I think Caskey will do well in a so called "better" team. He may be 29 but should still have a few good years left if he can get fit.

Guest LeicesterRed

I think it was a mistake not to try him out at the back of last season, just for a short time.Let`s face it, even unfit, he couldn`t have done worse than anyone on the Millenium performance which was dire to say the least

He has ability and can make a difference.

Hope he gets fit and gets a chance.

Guest bristolbred

He's cost us nothing, and he does not want to end up on the s#### heap!!, so i think, let him have his six weeks to prove he can get match fit, and make sure his contract has a clause that says he is on minimal wages, with bonuses paid upon performance, and that way, you'll keep him keen!!, :yawn:

Also, like last season, he'll be useful cover in case of injury, and we can always keep him fit in the reserves, or out on loan to teams like Kidderminster or Yeovil. :dunno:

I would like to think the prospect of earning a contract would be incentive enough for Caskey to get himself fit. I think a fit and fully committed Caskey could be big asset. We were short on service and goals from midfield last season. Caskey should contribute on both fronts.

However, it should be pointed out that weight need not be a barrier. Arguably one of the greatest footballers of all time was the Hungarian Ferenc Puskas.

http://www.plcane.clara.net/football/images/puskas.jpg

Not only was Puskas always overweight he was also notoriously one footed (his left) but what a foot that was.

He's cost us nothing, and he does not want to end up on the s#### heap!!, so i think, let him have his six weeks to prove he can get match fit, and make sure his contract has a clause that says he is on minimal wages, with bonuses paid upon performance, and that way, you'll keep him keen!!,  :yawn:

Also, like last season, he'll be useful cover in case of injury, and we can always keep him fit in the reserves, or out on loan to teams like Kidderminster or Yeovil.  :dunno:

Quote Tompo: "I would like to think the prospect of earning a contract would be incentive enough for Caskey to get himself fit. I think a fit and fully committed Caskey could be big asset. We were short on service and goals from midfield last season. Caskey should contribute on both fronts."

If he couldnt do it last season for Notts County, what makes ya think hes going to do it this season??? The only people who gave him a chance was Wonder-son, and if the rumors are correct Fat Man Fry, at Peterboro, one has now been sacked, and Fat Man aint going to light up the Div is he?

We cant afford a has been like Caskey, even if he does get himself fit, there is absolutely NO garantee he'll be interested by Xmas let alone the end of the season..one reason he was released by both Reading and County is this DGAF atitude! What signal would that send out to those in the squad who underperformed last season..pure madness, in our straitend circumstances, IMHO.

A natrual replacement for Tinnion *i## he gets fit. Despite what someone said above, he is a similar player (i.e. not very mobile, excellent passer of the ball, very creative, and much more useful with the dead ball) and would slot in very well along side the Doc.

But if he isn't fit, and he can't get himself fit, then he won't get a contract. For us, or any other half-decent side in this division. If he doesn't get a contract, it won't be any mistake of our management - it'll be 100% down to Caskey blowing it, again.

The one thing in our/his favour is that Ashton Gate is known to sell some of the worst pies in the Football League.

Personally i rate players on there performance with a city shirt on,so i couldnt care less what fans of other clubs think about him.

Remember he left there clubs so there not going to be singing his praises are they? :dunno:

The time to doubt him and slag him off is if he does'nt to the city shirt he has on justice.

Till then I'll back Tinmans judgement and Caskey to the hilt :yawn:

I'm a big Caskey fan and hope he shows all the doubters his true talent. with Darren Caskey we have a midfielder who can guide us to the top. He does need to lose a few pounds and raise his fittness level and I'm sure he will. Come on Darren shut these doubter up!

I think that this is a win win situation.

If he does get fit and looks the business then we can offer him a 6 month or 12 month contract based on appearences and performance, to keep him motivated.

If he doesn't then he can walk away.

I can't imagine him being offered a long term contract on a big basic so I don't believe that we will be lumbered with him if he goes off the boil.

Archived