IGNORED

False Dawns...

Jimmy Manns Left Foot NG7

My first season we won promotion. Easy really. I was 8, my dad took me to watch his cousin Keith Fear and team win promotion to the top division. Lots of cheering, scarf waving and celebration. I liked football.

The following 4 years or so whilst not so easy were great. We beat European champs from Liverpool and Nott'm. I witnessed a "draw" at Cov that questioned my tender knowledge of the game. My hero Gerry was everywhere. Norman bite legs. Every home programme cherished to this day to remind me - it did happen. I loved football.

That's when true reality kicked in. A BCFC fan is a labour of love. 4 years later and since I was still down the gate. 4th division. Not so many of us mind. I recall the legend TC, ....and Forbes Phillipson-Masters. I think I loved football? It hurt.

Anyhow that was then and the rest is history. Lots of it thou I can tell ee! Stuck with em. We all have our scars and shattered dreams. Our undying loyalty and hopes. 

Am I kidding myself when I feel this feels positively different? 

Only time will tell. Keep believing and supporting in your increasing numbers. I thought the 70's and 80's were the peak. The atmosphere and passion down gate just lately is as fondly as I can recall. Just wanted to say how proud and appreciative of you guys and ladies I am.

COYR's!

1 hour ago, Jimmy Manns Left Foot NG7 said:

My first season we won promotion. Easy really. I was 8, my dad took me to watch his cousin Keith Fear and team win promotion to the top division. Lots of cheering, scarf waving and celebration. I liked football.

The following 4 years or so whilst not so easy were great. We beat European champs from Liverpool and Nott'm. I witnessed a "draw" at Cov that questioned my tender knowledge of the game. My hero Gerry was everywhere. Norman bite legs. Every home programme cherished to this day to remind me - it did happen. I loved football.

That's when true reality kicked in. A BCFC fan is a labour of love. 4 years later and since I was still down the gate. 4th division. Not so many of us mind. I recall the legend TC, ....and Forbes Phillipson-Masters. I think I loved football? It hurt.

Anyhow that was then and the rest is history. Lots of it thou I can tell ee! Stuck with em. We all have our scars and shattered dreams. Our undying loyalty and hopes. 

Only time will tell. Keep believing and supporting in your increasing numbers. I thought the 70's and 80's were the peak. The atmosphere and passion down gate just lately is as fondly as I can recall. Just wanted to say how proud and appreciative of you guys and ladies I am.

COYR's!

Sniff. Love you bro. x

16 hours ago, Jimmy Manns Left Foot NG7 said:

COYR's!

I am miserable, and cynical, enough to think, "yes, yes you are." But, I would be delighted to be proved 100% wrong.

16 hours ago, Jimmy Manns Left Foot NG7 said:

COYR's!

Very nicely done mate, good for you.

I'm a bit older and go back even further to John Atyeo's day, so I've been on that journey with you and more besides. Ups and downs the magnitude of which some younger fans cannot imagine and would not be prepared to endure. Certain moaners on here react like it's the end of the world if you spend much of a season in a relegation scrap. Wouldn't know the time of day.

Are we witnessing the early stages of an unprecedented period of achievement? I'm too much of an old hand at this to get carried away, but I'll just say this much. If my old Dad - who got me into this as a kid, just as yours did with you - could be around to see the stadium we're playing in and the standard of football we watch, he wouldn't believe his eyes.

One thing about the history we older supporters share: it helps to make you appreciate what you've got, ass opposed to whinging about what you're lacking. I'm happy and cautiously optimistic about what's happening at AG.

On 28/09/2017 at 00:18, Jimmy Manns Left Foot NG7 said:

COYR's!

Great post mate - but unfortunately we didn't beat Nottm Forest during any of those four amazing seasons - they even beat us in the league cup and Anglo Scottish cup whilst we were up there. Hope this hasn't tainted your memories!

@Jimmy Manns Left Foot NG7.  Great post.

It does feel great right now.  The change being made off the field in particular and hunger to find all those 1% differences in every aspect of the club's operation makes me feel we are progressing.  I won't be put off by another poor run or if we fall outside the play offs.  But I always do tend to embrace the highs and ignore the lows when it comes to Bristol City.

On ‎28‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 00:18, Jimmy Manns Left Foot NG7 said:

COYR's!

I started watching that very same season, so my journey will be the same as yours.

And like you, I do have a feeling that something different, and special, is happening right now at this club. Of course, it could all go tits up, but somehow I don't think so.

32 minutes ago, ooRya said:

I started watching that very same season, so my journey will be the same as yours.

And like you, I do have a feeling that something different, and special, is happening right now at this club. Of course, it could all go tits up, but somehow I don't think so.

We always believe.

Archived