IGNORED

4 years ago today

WolfOfWestStreet

Its only we and SU who has progressed if we look at what division the teams are now. Remember I was at the Charlton game, O-1. Next game think we beat Orient away and then SOD was sacked. Remember I saw the first pressconferenc with Cotts, liked him at once. Funny, at that moment I was beggining believe in this Club again. Cotts in charge and rest is history. Cotts got it and knew what City needed. He will never be forgotten. COYR!!!

15 minutes ago, Super said:

And some on here saying we had turned the corner :facepalm:

It was one defeat in seven games under SO'D, the last being the draw at home to Orient. Compared to what preceded it - our first league win coming on Oct 26th! - it was a turning around, of sorts. Tbf, to the miserable SO'D.

14 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Its only we and SU who has progressed if we look at what division the teams are now. Remember I was at the Charlton game, O-1. Next game think we beat Orient away and then SOD was sacked. Remember I saw the first pressconferenc with Cotts, liked him at once. Funny, at that moment I was beggining believe in this Club again. Cotts in charge and rest is history. Cotts got it and knew what City needed. He will never be forgotten. COYR!!!

Not sure where you're getting the first bit from? Charlton relegated us (edit: were the last team we played in the champ), we drew at home to Orient, then SOD was sacked.

But I agree that Cotterill was exactly what we needed, no frills. The team's confidence improved as we eradicated the errors, generally this was done by doing simple things and was a great foundation to kick on.

Warnock could be doing a very similar thing at Cardiff in the championship.

We needed to hit rock bottom in order to turn it round in such style

5 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Was ar the gate and we lost O-1, owngoal If I remember right. Think it was vs Charlto but could be wrong. Next game was Orient. And then COD was sacked. Or am i telling about another season? The years pass very fast nowadays.

Callum O'Dowda got sacked? Shit, I had high hopes for the lad... :shifty:

5 minutes ago, Garland-sweden said:

Was ar the gate and we lost O-1, owngoal If I remember right. Think it was vs Charlto but could be wrong. Next game was Orient. And then COD was sacked. Or am i telling about another season? The years pass very fast nowadays.

That was Sheff Utd, G-s. One of the worst games at AG I can remember. Sheff Utd were about as dismal as us, kept 10 men behind the ball and had to rely on one of ours - Flinty, I think! - to turn a cross into our net. Appalling game.

Next game, we played much better at home to Orient. Then SO'D was fired, a day or two after!

3 hours ago, shelts said:

The tables upside down 

When tables were originally published, in the early days of the football league. teams were listed in althabetical order. This meant that Bristol City was always near the top. It also meant the Bristol Rovers would also always be near the top. Obviously this was ridiculous, so the tables were changed to the current format. 

Very interesting that of the teams above City four years ago, only Sheffield Utd have really improved. Well done to Cotts

39 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

It was one defeat in seven games under SO'D, the last being the draw at home to Orient. Compared to what preceded it - our first league win coming on Oct 26th! - it was a turning around, of sorts. Tbf, to the miserable SO'D.

It was also 2 wins in 18 it wasn't turning around it was papering over the cracks he is the worst manager we ever had, 

i longed for pulis football after watching that draw with the blades it was that bad

1 hour ago, Jack Dawe said:

SoD did seem to be turning things around so, compared to LJ’s awful run of defeats, it could be said that he was treated badly. I think one of the reasons he was sacked and LJ was given more time was because SoD was downright measurable and LJ was upbeat. I can remember that, at the time, SL said  he thought it was awful that SoD thought it was a good result to get a draw with Orient. SL seemed to think that this wasn’t much of an achievement 

I remember going into work the day after that Carlisle game and everyone stood up and applauded me as I entered the office. :D

I still can't fathom how we went until the end of freaking October without a win in LEAGUE ONE!!  It's not as if we hadn't brought in some decent players.. And SOD came to us with a good reputation. Just what really happened behind the scenes to make things so hopelessly bad? 1980-83 aside, the SOD era must be the darkest era in living memory.

Imo the biggest problem with sod was he didn't seem to want to take responsibility for on field decisions for what was a young inexperienced team.

I remember watching an interview in which he said about the players making their own decisions on what type of ball to play and not even practicing set pieces in training. 

I also seem to remember we started off playing well and felt unlucky with some of the results... Then the players heads dropped. So we basically had an inexperienced team who didn't seem to have been given any sort of a way to play who were drained of all confidence. 

Contrast that with cotts coming in and setting us up so every player was told their role/way of playing added some decent experienced players on loan and all of a sudden results started to shift.

Not that it was all plain sailing.  The 3-0 defeat at Sheffield United was one of my most angry moments as a city fan. However that result led to the (much derived at the time) "I'm a winner" interview and boy did he prove it the following season.

34 minutes ago, Hellfire Corner said:

Ohbasso- technically Thatch is right, because SL is not your owner or my owner, so he can't be our owner.

I know grammatically it's not correct but I'm just trying to help him out, he used to be dedicated to the troll game but he's starting to get a bit lazy and his standards are slipping.

15 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Flinty "had a mistake in him" back then. I remember Port Vale away, leading 1:0, I think it was into added time. He could've just launched it into the crowd/empty terraces.........

That's right, Lee Hughes scored the equaliser, then did his stupid little dance. Absolutely gutted.

For some reason though I have quite fond memories of that season, not the bit under S'OD obviously or the first couple of months under Cotterill. The way we finished the season after our incredibly poor start was the biggest relief I've felt since I started supporting City. I was genuinely worried that we were heading for L2 after losing at Bramhall Lane.

Archived