IGNORED

The Official Ipswich Town v Bristol City Match Day Thread 11

The Ipswich fans hated Flint. :clapping:

Honestly I saw very little to be impressed by Ipswich today. I can barely remember any real chances, besides the goal which was very well taken. I think Fielding commanded his area very well today, Flint, Baker and Wright were no-nonsense, and Bryan had a typically influential game.

Korey Smith had a really good game too, and Diedhiou's still getting better with each appearance. No weak links I can really think of, like I said their goal was good, and pretty out of the blue.

I was worried after the first half that we'd be easy to cut through in the second, but we solidified. I really do think Johnson is managing games a lot better now.

• Like 6

As one of last season's doubters, I am so thrilled at the way we are playing this season. If I'm correct, if not someone will soon tell me, but aren't we going into the break with a very similar points tally to last year - I seem to remember 21 pts from 11 games. Now 20 pts from 11.

However, there is a massive difference in the way we have performed compared with last season. I can only congratulate Lee Johnson and his coaching team and of course all the playing squad who are showing signs of being a very good one indeed.

I won't get carried away. This is still a year of building the club and while I wouldn't turn down promotion, I believe that it would be a step too far too soon. But hey ho, let's enjoy what's happening now.

• Like 7

Let me start by saying that was an awesome performance, full of spirit and the result was fully deserved, we were by far the better team.

Good to see the referee eventually seeing Garner for the cheat that he is, his prison haircut sums him up perfectly.

My only criticisms are the marking for Ipswich’s goal but I am sure LJ will deal with that one and the way we occasionally over complicate when in good attacking positions, ODowda after being beautifully put through early in the 2nd half being a prime example and our free kicks suck.

But hey we cannot have everything and as I say that was just a great performance, truly proud tonight.

Fielding 7 again had little to do but did what he had to really well.

Wright 7 a few stray passes but as ever played his part.

Flint 7 as usual gave his all and took no shit from Garner.

Baker 7 Garner got a little more joy from him but once more was strong.

Bryan 7 his strength these days is impressive, one bad mistake in the first half, but he really looks the part.

ODowda 8 I am warming to him, should have at least hit the target when put through early in the 2nd half, his most accomplished work is when he pops up on the left IMO.

Brownhill 8 the pick of the midfield for me, his passing was good and as his goal showed he can be a threat on the edge of the box.

Smith 7 one bad mistake in the 1st half but once more, never shirks a tackle and always available.

Patterson 8 his shooting radar was off today but he was always a threat and most of our best stuff came through him and Brownhill.

Reid 8 his energy is remarkable, his help in midfield is invaluable and his confidence his high and he deserved his goal.

Diedhiou 9 IMO his best performance in a City shirt, a great goal and looked much stronger all game and his closing down was good today, looks like he’s getting fitter every game.

LJ 10 team selection, tactics and game plan were spot on again and although his substitutions were made late in the game I believe that he was correct to leave it so late because nobody looked like they were tiring and we were still on top.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 9
3 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

The Ipswich fans hated Flint. :clapping:

Honestly I saw very little to be impressed by Ipswich today. I can barely remember any real chances, besides the goal which was very well taken. I think Fielding commanded his area very well today, Flint, Baker and Wright were no-nonsense, and Bryan had a typically influential game.

Korey Smith had a really good game too, and Diedhiou's still getting better with each appearance. No weak links I can really think of, like I said their goal was good, and pretty out of the blue.

I was worried after the first half that we'd be easy to cut through in the second, but we solidified. I really do think Johnson is managing games a lot better now.

They are in a false position and will crash down midtable, maybe lower.

O’Dowda outstanding untill he enters the final third. That’ll come you’d hope. 

Smith and Brownhill were great but Smith’s lack of passing radar is really evident. For me Pack and Brownhill are the best pairing. 

2 assists for Paterson, Diedhiou worked unbelievably hard and is becoming a nuisance for all defenders. 

Bobby Reid really is a little gem, could’ve had 2 today. His hold up play is genuinely outstanding for a little guy. He wins a lot of throwins and can maintain possession in tight areas. 

6 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

:mf_sleep: Saw every second of the game, got lucky...twice,  but had more chances and should have buried them;  we ARE going well :yes: but we were till end Oct last year;

But that's the nature of how we play - we create a ton of chances.

If we converted them all we'd be winning every game 10-1.

We can always improve though.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

:mf_sleep: Saw every second of the game, got lucky...twice,  but had more chances and should have buried them;  we ARE going well :yes: but we were till end Oct last year;

You are correct in your statement BUT this season we are miles ahead as a team/squad to the same period last year. There is a helluva difference to what you referred to. Dare we all begin to dream just a little that we'll not be involved in anything nasty at the lower end of the league and instead may be buzzing around in other parts of the table.

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I saw a stream of the game, so harder for me to judge than being there. But mainly agree with your ratings. I thought they were all outstanding. Teams just can't cope with our energy levels. Prefer Brownhill to Pack, as a couple of times Brownhill's pace got us out of trouble, just like Smith does. I think that is our best 11 now.

I only watched a stream but it was a HQ stream on a big screen.

I agree probably our best 11 but a bench full of talent seemingly wanting to be a part and keeping that 11 on their toes.

We just need to make sure we don't take Burton lightly and win that game after the international break, and then, for the 1st time this season we will be better placed than last season.

Agree all the signs are good, look much more of a team this season than early part of last where a lot of the good early results were down to having Tammy. Still want to see last season's bogey put to rest and then means keeping the same intensity and tempo to our play and beating Burton on Friday 13th - no frights wanted!

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Let me start by saying that was an awesome performance, full of spirit and the result was fully deserved, we were by far the better team.

Good to see the referee eventually seeing Garner for the cheat that he is, his prison haircut sums him up perfectly.

My only criticisms are the marking for Ipswich’s goal but I am sure LJ will deal with that one and the way we occasionally over complicate when in good attacking positions, ODowda after being beautifully put through early in the 2nd half being a prime example and our free kicks suck.

But hey we cannot have everything and as I say that was just a great performance, truly proud tonight.

Fielding 7 again had little to do but did what he had to really well.

Wright 7 a few stray passes but as ever played his part.

Flint 7 as usual gave his all and took no shit from Garner.

Baker 7 Garner got a little more joy from him but once more was strong.

Bryan 7 his strength these days is impressive, one bad mistake in the first half, but he really looks the part.

ODowda 8 I am warming to him, should have at least hit the target when put through early in the 2nd half, his most accomplished work is when he pops up on the left IMO.

Brownhill 8 the pick of the midfield for me, his passing was good and as his goal showed he can be a threat on the edge of the box.

Smith 7 one bad mistake in the 1st half but once more, never shirks a tackle and always available.

Patterson 8 his shooting radar was off today but he was always a threat and most of our best stuff came through him and Brownhill.

Reid 8 his energy is remarkable, his help in midfield is invaluable and his confidence his high and he deserved his goal.

Diedhiou 9 IMO his best performance in a City shirt, a great goal and looked much stronger all game and his closing down was good today, looks like he’s getting fitter every game.

LJ 10 team selection, tactics and game plan were spot on again and although his substitutions were made late in the game I believe that he was correct to leave it so late because nobody looked like they were tiring and we were still on top.

I'd say defending down the flanks is what's going to cost us es, we play too narrow at times

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I'd say defending down the flanks is what's going to cost us es, we play too narrow at times

You would think that but, I haven't seen too much evidence of that since Brentford to be fair, but I think our results without Pisano are remarkable and although not the paciest defender in the world Wright has done a really good job.

Edited by Esmond Million's Bung
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

You would think that but, I haven't seen too much evidence of that since Brentford to be fair, but I think our results without Pisano are remarkable and although not the pacyist defender in the world Wright has done a really good job.

They had a few chances from the flanks where we had no one near them,

thats my only worry other than that it's great performance after great performance long may it continue