IGNORED

Rovers at Ashton Gate

Bar BS3

6 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Now, I knew that Rovers played an unpopular 5 game stint of "home" games at Ashton Gate in 1980, after the Eastville fire. 

I did not however know that in 1987/88 season, their first of 10 seasons at the relatively (compared to the Mem today) plush surroundings of Twerton Park, Rovers played one "home match" at Ashton gate! It was Vs Swindon, in a move to raise much needed cash for Rovers. A crowd of 8,196 attended. I have no idea how many were locked out. 

Is this common knowledge that I had missed..? 

11th April 1987. Local derby attendance 8196

30th September 2017. Local derby attendance 9879.

30 years has seen a massive increase in their gates. Loyal and true. I know that I keep on saying it but they really do need a bigger ground.

57 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

11th April 1987. Local derby attendance 8196

30th September 2017. Local derby attendance 9879.

30 years has seen a massive increase in their gates. Loyal and true. I know that I keep on saying it but they really do need a bigger ground.

Be fair, that's triple what their attendance was for the last game at Eastville..! 

They obviously weren't as loyal, or true back then. 

I remember being aware that the gas v Swindle game was taking place at Ashton Gate, but I didn't think much of it at the time. From what I recall it was because they thought it would attract a bigger crowd than Trumpton could hold. 

Seems strange now, though, and I couldn't imagine it happening now, even though their current ground is not really much better than Trumpton.

10 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Be fair, that's triple what their attendance was for the last game at Eastville..! 

They obviously weren't as loyal, or true back then. 

Nooooo way, here is a picture of the last Eastville game, from the M32, note the space where the South Stand stood! Over 110,000 with many more thousands locked out!

3B99DE41-EAC5-4BAF-86CE-5EE378C6DE59.jpeg

20 minutes ago, adamski said:

Nooooo way, here is a picture of the last Eastville game, from the M32, note the space where the South Stand stood! Over 110,000 with many more thousands locked out!

3B99DE41-EAC5-4BAF-86CE-5EE378C6DE59.jpeg

Nonsense. That could be any away end at any match that Rovers travel too. 

Indeed, here is a photo from the car park outside this seasons visit to Bury. 

IMG_3516.JPG

14 hours ago, Ashdangate said:

I was there in the dolman...Swindon lads came up to us and said are you Swindon we all stood up and started singing city.we where also in the Williams as well. I think we get a mention on Htv news ..also went off outside as well! 

Went to that game.

Went off in the Park post match. We ambushed them as we were all tucked away behind the shrubbery at the top of the Park. Went in enclosure 1st (got kicked out by OB after a scuffle)!. Then got back in the Dolman, went off with Swindon. Kicked out again. Fair few City there that day, so some plotted up at Liquid Assets up North Street until game finished.

It was a perfect ambush from the Park. Used to do it often and pretty successful as we always held the high ground, coming down on them in the attack. One of the key strategies of war according to Henry 5th.

OB had a nightmare keeping three mobs apart that day. "One man went to mow" was a popular chant in those days amongst BCFC fans. Swindon fans were singing there "Lou Macari red and white army" chant and it was impressive.

"The General" was with us that day. Perfect planning prevents ............

Good days.

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

Nonsense. That could be any away end at any match that Rovers travel too. 

Indeed, here is a photo from the car park outside this seasons visit to Bury. 

IMG_3516.JPG

But not as impressive as their travelling army photographed jamming the M25 on its way to Braintree !

beijing-traffic.jpg

16 hours ago, Babbacome Dave said:

Regarding the ground sharing situation in 82/83, I was told that although both boards were in general agreement it was alleged at the time that the then Rovers chairman (Mr. Dunsford senior) stated he would rather see the City "Go to the wall before he would have any ground sharing".

i may be wrong with this but I was at the ground at the time when the discussions callapsed and this story was flying around at the time. 

Thank goodness it never happened!!!

Denis Dunford did not become Chairman until 1986, when he was persuaded by his son to become part of the group who took the club from Eastville to Twerton Park.  He was one of football's gentlemen, like your own Harry Dolman and Des Williams.

9 hours ago, GasDestroyer said:

Went to that game.

Went off in the Park post match. We ambushed them as we were all tucked away behind the shrubbery at the top of the Park. Went in enclosure 1st (got kicked out by OB after a scuffle)!. Then got back in the Dolman, went off with Swindon. Kicked out again. Fair few City there that day, so some plotted up at Liquid Assets up North Street until game finished.

It was a perfect ambush from the Park. Used to do it often and pretty successful as we always held the high ground, coming down on them in the attack. One of the key strategies of war according to Henry 5th.

OB had a nightmare keeping three mobs apart that day. "One man went to mow" was a popular chant in those days amongst BCFC fans. Swindon fans were singing there "Lou Macari red and white army" chant and it was impressive.

"The General" was with us that day. Perfect planning prevents ............

Good days.

Yeah there where a few faces out that day who I won’t mention on here

Archived