IGNORED

Junction Etiquitte

RedRock

Now then drivers, a question.

At a side junction, with space for two vehicles to pull up alongside each other. 

Car waiting, say to turn right on to a main road. You pull up alongside to turn left. In doing so, you effectively block the left-side vision of the driver in the other 'lane'. 

What do you do? Do you hold back, so the other driver maintains a clear view of the main road or pull alongside? 

Pisses me off when I get blocked, but have to say, I am an occasional blocker. 

An observant and considerate driver may realise this situation when approaching the junction, and refrain from interfering with the first driver's view by not going to the limit of the road markings. Of course, there may be other vehicles following that might not want to wait a moment to clear the problem and these should be taken into consideration. Ultimately, there is the prime consideration: only proceed if safe to do so.

3 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

An observant and considerate driver may realise this situation when approaching the junction, and refrain from interfering with the first driver's view by not going to the limit of the road markings. Of course, there may be other vehicles following that might not want to wait a moment to clear the problem and these should be taken into consideration. Ultimately, there is the prime consideration: only proceed if safe to do so.

Yeah, but..... if the other driver is turning right invariably they have to wait longer, often a lot longer,  (needing 2 lanes clear)  than those turning left (only requiring one clear).

Always find it a difficult call being a considerate driver and all that! Wonder if the Highway Code says anything?

Archived