IGNORED

Admiration for Nathan Baker

Port Said Red

51 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

Villa did not actually want to sell him, they had to due to the FFP problem and to balance the books,

A complete class act now and just need to add a few goals (flint style). agree the OP 100%.

With hindsight I think Villa must be regetting swapping an aging JT with Baker who is at the peak of his game.

I think you have answered your own question, they didn't want to sell him but needed to because they brought in John Terry on huge wages.

If they hadn't wasted so much money on someone clearly past it then they wouldn't have needed to move Baker on.

I know which one I would rather have in my team..

4 minutes ago, grubby said:

Totally agree with this, have watched every minute, all bar a couple when there were teething trouble's with bctv,  our back 3 baker/flint/wright are absolutely outstanding, shame Pisano got injured and its going to be interesting to see what happens when he's fit again. He looked our best RB in a long long time early doors.

All we are lacking is a "magic"man to give us a little bit more unpredictability BUT these maverick type players normally bring different team issue's. At times we almost try to over complicate play around the box, but it was good to see us shoot on Sat and get a couple of deflections so maybe LJ has told them to shoot a bit more? 

We pretty much haven't ever replaced Brian Tinnion . A spell with Paul Hartley and a season or so with marvellous Marvin Elliott at his best-  none of whom were maverick players. I think that under current structure - our days with the maverick type- Tomlin/Jet are over.

If ( if if if.....) we are there or there about in Jan 2018 with a fully fit squad including Pisano and Đurić then a midfield maestro is the final missing piece.

1 hour ago, robinreliant said:

Agree. Ayling is good but Pisano is IMO better. Shame that he isn't a bit younger but still has four five years left in him hopefully. Can't wait to see him back in the squad.

Ayling was good but he let an awful amount of crosses come in to our box. I wasn’t that sad to see Him leave but also pleased he’s gone on to do well as seems a nice bloke.

5 hours ago, Londoner said:

I am surprised he came to us again it makes you question why some of the bigger teams in threat weren't in for him.

Maybe he wanted to. He would have known a fair few of our players from before and if he enjoyed his time here then despite what we think, perhaps money isn`t everything to some players.

I also think he`s proving a point to Villa (not their fans, I don`t think many of them wanted him to leave) and giving the club the big **** you by playing out of his skin.

1 hour ago, Red Right Hand said:

Maybe he wanted to. He would have known a fair few of our players from before and if he enjoyed his time here then despite what we think, perhaps money isn`t everything to some players.

I also think he`s proving a point to Villa (not their fans, I don`t think many of them wanted him to leave) and giving the club the big **** you by playing out of his skin.

Perhaps. Also take into consideration there aren't many clubs in this league with huge spending power......bar wolves and villa.

10 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Not sure anyone is taking him for granted. He has been a beast so far. Winning most things, whether they be in the air or on the ground. Uncompromising and no nonsense.

It was always said he had a mistake in him, but we've seen less of that, or that he will get himself a stupid red. Well we've seen a little less of that too, but I'd take the odd suspension in exchange for his comittment. You need players like that in this physical league.

No.1 tackling defender in the league is Joe Bryan.

No.2 is Luke Ayling.

Imagine if we had a back four of:

Ayling  Flint/Wright  Baker Bryan

Surely that defence wouldn't be bettered by many in this division this season.

Not sure Lee would swap any of our back four for Ayling. Didnt think he was all that when he was here and not sure ge is now.More than happy with what we have and the cover available.

Being in my thirties I grew up with centre back and always thought centre halve didn't really make much sense.

Back on topic though, I think we're so fortunate to have three top quality centre backs at this level in Baker, Flint and Wright. Any two of them make a strong partnership but Baker being a lefty gives us a real balance which makes him even more valuable.

3 hours ago, glastonred said:

I only ask because when I first started watching football in the Sixties, the term 'centre back' didn't exist. They were always referred to as 'centre halves'. I don't remember when  the terms were switched

Quite.

Right Half (4), Centre Half (5) and Left Half (6).

Or, as was known in my day, Gordon Parr, Jack Connor and Gordon Low.

Archived