IGNORED

Jamie Vardy’s V9 academy.

Tipps69

Anyone else watching the series on Sky Sports?

It’s showing how Vardy’s academy is being put together & how he is giving some ‘non-league’ players the opportunity to put themselves in the shop window again with regards to earning a contract at a football league club. There are some decent looking players there, players with previous experience at league level & others that have not yet been given the opportunity at league level.

There was a little bit about Tyrone Mings & how he’d dropped into non-league after being at Southampton with the likes of Bale, Lallana, Oxlaide-Chamberlain etc but how he dropped out & joined Yate Town on £45 p/w but had to spend that money on public transport to & from training twice a week etc.

It seems like a very worthwhile watch if you like to know a bit more about grass roots players.

4 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

Interesting, like what he's doing a lot there. Plenty of talent goes missing down there.

There was a little bit on Blair Turggott, he was at West Ham’s academy for 10 years from the age of 8 & was at Bradford when they made the League Cup final in 2013 & he played, he’s now at Bromley!

In the space of 4 years he’s gone from playing in a major cup final at Wembley to now playing a level down from the conference, he clearly has some talent & from the interviews with all of the academy signings, none of them have seemingly not made it because of attitude.

There’s one young lad who was offered the opportunity to join numerous academies from about the age of 11 but he just wanted to play football with his mates & then when he got a bit older he was just enjoying playing ‘pub football’ but his mates convinced him that he had to leave them in the hope of making it in football, which they all believe he’s capable of doing.

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

There was a little bit on Blair Turggott, he was at West Ham’s academy for 10 years from the age of 8 & was at Bradford when they made the League Cup final in 2013 & he played, he’s now at Bromley!

In the space of 4 years he’s gone from playing in a major cup final at Wembley to now playing a level down from the conference, he clearly has some talent & from the interviews with all of the academy signings, none of them have seemingly not made it because of attitude.

There’s one young lad who was offered the opportunity to join numerous academies from about the age of 11 but he just wanted to play football with his mates & then when he got a bit older he was just enjoying playing ‘pub football’ but his mates convinced him that he had to leave them in the hope of making it in football, which they all believe he’s capable of doing.

There's that lad from Everton who's gone to Norway because of the media overhyping his talent, and then him falling off the face of the earth. Football's not glamorous. 

Our kid's son goes to school with a lad who is one of the best young footballers I've ever seen, turned down 4 premier league academies because he just wants to enjoy "substances". Weird how it goes sometimes. 

I remember Turggott incidentally from when he was at Bradford, who knows whats happened there? Maybe it's a young player who wants to be the big man in the team, maybe he just loves his football and wants to play as much as he can.

Good on him if he was actually the driving force behind it rather than his name just being on it because of his history. If any player makes it back to the football league then frankly its worth it.

Would honestly not be surprised if a show was made from something similar to this, Sky have plenty of time on their channels now they've separated them. Hire in a 'famous' coach, band them into a non league team and follow their progress over seasons etc. Given the potential relation to professional league footballers could see there being some interest. 

52 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Fair play to to him although for every player that earns a contract at a football league club, another loses one right??

But players retire through age or injury right?

These players are all at non-league clubs but are thought to be good enough to progress through the levels given the right opportunity & coaching / training.

If clubs don’t sign potentially better players, surely the clubs will go backwards won’t they?

This is purely giving other non-league players the opportunity to be the next Jamie Vardy & let’s be fair, he hasn’t done bad for himself, has he?

I heard from someone who knows and has played with Mings that he was seen as a bit of a project.

Ipswich knew he didn’t have the technical ability required, but athletically he was perfect for football. They thought they could coach the football into him.

Johnson’s answer on the FB QnA about Kelly was very interesting. He feels he’s going to turn into the ideal physical specimen for football - but with the bonus of having the footballing ability’s too.

21 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I heard from someone who knows and has played with Mings that he was seen as a bit of a project.

Ipswich knew he didn’t have the technical ability required, but athletically he was perfect for football. They thought they could coach the football into him.

Johnson’s answer on the FB QnA about Kelly was very interesting. He feels he’s going to turn into the ideal physical specimen for football - but with the bonus of having the footballing ability’s too.

Well it certainly didn’t do Ipswich any harm in getting someone in who technically isn’t a footballer, they paid Chippenham peanuts & sold him to Bournemouth for quite a few million, not bad business for someone who wasn’t technically proficient at his profession.

I guess they are hoping for similar from Keiffer Moore, picked up from non-league & currently banging the goals in for Rotherham on loan.

12 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Well it certainly didn’t do Ipswich any harm in getting someone in who technically isn’t a footballer, they paid Chippenham peanuts & sold him to Bournemouth for quite a few million, not bad business for someone who wasn’t technically proficient at his profession.

I guess they are hoping for similar from Keiffer Moore, picked up from non-league & currently banging the goals in for Rotherham on loan.

I think in Mings’ case it was almost exclusively down to his physical attributes rather than his value. 

The most minute factors imaginable come into the physical attributes of a footballer - I even once read a mini study linking technically superior midfielders to having smaller than average feet!

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think in Mings’ case it was almost exclusively down to his physical attributes rather than his value. 

The most minute factors imaginable come into the physical attributes of a footballer - I even once read a mini study linking technically superior midfielders to having smaller than average feet!

I guess it’s similar to the trials an NFL rookie has to go through to get into the NFL, a lot is made of how high they can jump & how far they can jump from standing starts & how fast they can run 40 yards / meters in. I guess their philosophy is if they can do the physical basics to a high standard, they can teach them how to catch a ball & run routes later.

But back to our football, I thought we’d (football clubs) got out of signing players solely because of their physical attributes & more because of what they can do with a ball at their feet. But then I suppose we are talking about Mick McCarthy who is undoubtedly a bit of an old dinosaur when it comes to football managers.

I really like the idea of it, and Vardy should be congratulated for his success with it. Despite it being a fairly small operation, it's paying off for a number of players.

With that being said, I don't know why it doesn't become a more formal thing. We have non-league day, where fans go to visit their local non-league teams. Why not get these games televised, and get Premier League/Football League scouts down to these games so that players have a real opportunity to put themselves in the shop window without having to sign up to a private academy?

Glenn Hoddle has a similar project going on in Spain.  He takes ex-scholars, ex-youth players and other guys who have somehow fallen through the net and coaches them in the hope of getting them back into the system.

Sam Clucas is possibly the biggest success story http://www.espn.co.uk/football/swansea-city/story/3188015/swanseas-sam-clucas-credits-glenn-hoddle-academy-for-staying-in-football

18 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Anyone else watching the series on Sky Sports?

It’s showing how Vardy’s academy is being put together & how he is giving some ‘non-league’ players the opportunity to put themselves in the shop window again with regards to earning a contract at a football league club. There are some decent looking players there, players with previous experience at league level & others that have not yet been given the opportunity at league level.

There was a little bit about Tyrone Mings & how he’d dropped into non-league after being at Southampton with the likes of Bale, Lallana, Oxlaide-Chamberlain etc but how he dropped out & joined Yate Town on £45 p/w but had to spend that money on public transport to & from training twice a week etc.

It seems like a very worthwhile watch if you like to know a bit more about grass roots players.

Very interesting series and also interesting is the fact that Tyrone Mings is now starting his own academy in the Bristol area: https://tyronemingsacademy.com/

10 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

But players retire through age or injury right?

These players are all at non-league clubs but are thought to be good enough to progress through the levels given the right opportunity & coaching / training.

If clubs don’t sign potentially better players, surely the clubs will go backwards won’t they?

This is purely giving other non-league players the opportunity to be the next Jamie Vardy & let’s be fair, he hasn’t done bad for himself, has he?

Yeah its good because it gives players who didn't make it that second chance.

My point is the competition is going to be even better and then when some other players get replaced by Vardys academy, Rickie Lambert will open another academy to get those players back into the football league :thumbsup:.

It often amazes me how many kids we have in our academy, probs happens to others but I don’t take notice(don’t call me Robbored) but once they leave the club call off football all together.

Also reminds me of Joe Bryan welcoming David Horseman back to the club for helping him not turn his back on football when he was 14/15.. I guess you either wanna succeed or you don’t, can’t hack it or what not, look at Ravel Morrison now playing in Mexico 

10 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Yeah its good because it gives players who didn't make it that second chance.

My point is the competition is going to be even better and then when some other players get replaced by Vardys academy, Rickie Lambert will open another academy to get those players back into the football league :thumbsup:.

I guess a major part of the problem is the amount of foreign players in our game now, that has meant some of our ‘more talented’ players have ended up filtering down to The Championship & the ‘okay’ players are in League One & the ‘less than okay’ are plying their trade in League Two & non-league & subsequently some of the younger talent have slipped through the net.

Maybe the Vardy story was more to do with luck? Or was it hard work or was it a share of both? Either way, if he can develop someone from ‘nothing’ into ‘something’, it has to be a good thing, right?

Is it possible for another ‘Vardy’ to work his way from obscurity to stardom? I guess only time will tell and if it works out it will only make Vardy’s story that little bit more remarkable.

Plus I guess you have to fathom into the equation that Vardy is in his 30’s or so & his career has been a relatively short one compared to other international players & I would hazard a guess that he isn’t doing all of this for no financial rewards as he’s affectively acting as an agent.....

18 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

It often amazes me how many kids we have in our academy, probs happens to others but I don’t take notice(don’t call me Robbored) but once they leave the club call off football all together.

Also reminds me of Joe Bryan welcoming David Horseman back to the club for helping him not turn his back on football when he was 14/15.. I guess you either wanna succeed or you don’t, can’t hack it or what not, look at Ravel Morrison now playing in Mexico 

I knew many players from my time that had fallen out of love for the game when they were released from clubs & then there were many varying reasons why they didn’t bother to pursue their careers somewhere else, injuries, found alcohol & women, just wanted to play with mates, couldn’t be bothered with the lifestyle (all the training) & within a couple of years of not looking after themselves, they were up to 20 stone but still playing with mates for pub teams etc, you could still tell that they technically still had a lot of ability but it’s hard to fall back in love with the game when you feel like you’ve lost so much, much the same as many things in life.

12 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Lloyd's got it upstairs apparently.  Heard this from someone who coached him and his brother when they were kids.  His brother has more ability but not the mentality...

Archived