IGNORED

We Have A Squad With Huge Potential, But....

numbeast

9 hours ago, hodge said:

Relegated prem teams and those with parachute payments will always have the money to afford any player in this league. If the season were over now (or if players carry on at a similar rate) then I'd expect interest in Pato, Diedhiou, Reid, Flint and Bryan. Others may attract interest but they'd be easier to replace. So just to analyse the selected players....

Pato - Don't think we'd be wrong to demand £5m for Pato if he carries on as he is at the moment, if we get offered less I doubt we'd sell. Well stocked for wingers and Eliasson could well be ready for a greater role, options either attempt to bring in a new first teamer or promote Eliasson and bring in player to develop. 

Diedhiou - Lets take Jordan Hugill as an example here, 12 league goals last season and was on the receiving end of £7m+ offers this summer, if Famara can top his goal tally to say 15 we could be looking at a £10m striker again. I feel we'd have to go outside the club for recruitment in this area as I don't feel we have someone to fulfil his role.

Reid - 'One season wonder' is what many may say if Bobby has a successful season, however how often do one season wonders get signed on by bigger clubs, Kodjia, Hogan (course of a season),  plenty wanted Zohore plus many more. If Bobby can get anywhere between 10-15 this season I'd expect him to have grown past the £5m player LJ said he could be. We potentially have people to fill Reid's boot should he be targeted (Taylor if he can improve scoring rate or Engvall if successful if given a chance) or we could go outside again. 

Flint - We already know there is interest in the league, however in terms of replacement we already have Wright, Hegeler as right sided centre backs, so we wouldn't have to go outside the club to replace him, Taylor Moore will hopefully put in performances for a team in league 1 to want him in January. So could be money in the bank for another deal should he (or another CB be targeted).

Bryan - LJ covered this, Kelly will be viewed as the long term replacement but can he step straight into Saturday/Tuesday football? LJ said Hinds got cramp 20 mins into trying to play Saturday/Tuesday. Role could be shared with Magnússon while he gets accustomed to championship football, so we wouldn't necessarily have to go and sign someone. However should we lose JB I think LJ would have to be close to fainting from the amount offered as he clearly rates Joe very highly.

Basically... What I'm saying with all this is as LJ said our players are replaceable and I don't think we should be too worried if/when other teams come knocking for our players.

But all these players have been signed for a reasonably low price compared to how much we will be looking at receiving for them, should they leave.

And the club is in a great position, an owner who can do what he wants in terms of finances for the club & even if he just kept putting in say £10m a summer for new signings on top of the profits we are now making means that financially we are able to replace these players.

Also the new found stature of the club could / should be enough for the players to see that this is the place to currently be, an owner who clearly loves the club & isn’t in it just for the money, a manager who has stated why he’s here & has been backed in his desire for success, this all adds to stability which not many clubs can offer! No constant changing of players because we are constantly changing manager.

And while these players maybe able to earn more elsewhere, it’s not as if we’re not in a position to increase their wages with the offer of a new contract once it’s considered that they are deserving of the new contract.

Apart from the fact of me being a City fan, if I wasn’t but played for the club, I wouldn’t be looking to leave anytime soon because I don’t believe any other club can offer such security & potential.

2 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

But all these players have been signed for a reasonably low price compared to how much we will be looking at receiving for them, should they leave.

And the club is in a great position, an owner who can do what he wants in terms of finances for the club & even if he just kept putting in say £10m a summer for new signings on top of the profits we are now making means that financially we are able to replace these players.

Also the new found stature of the club could / should be enough for the players to see that this is the place to currently be, an owner who clearly loves the club & isn’t in it just for the money, a manager who has stated why he’s here & has been backed in his desire for success, this all adds to stability which not many clubs can offer! No constant changing of players because we are constantly changing manager.

And while these players maybe able to earn more elsewhere, it’s not as if we’re not in a position to increase their wages with the offer of a new contract once it’s considered that they are deserving of the new contract.

Apart from the fact of me being a City fan, if I wasn’t but played for the club, I wouldn’t be looking to leave anytime soon because I don’t believe any other club can offer such security & potential.

Precisely and, hopefully, not needing to change the playing style either.

Think of poor Steve Cotterill, recently appointed by Birmingham and now having to bring to the team his own playing style with 14 players signed by HR in the last window. How many will fit in with his system? How many will he want/be able to sell (if there are teams interested) in the January transfer window and how many will he be able to bring in? 

4 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Interesting perspective but too optimistic I reckon. If say Jamie Patterson was attracting bids from Leeds Sunderland or Middlesbrough,  and they were offering 25k per week, if he signs that contract he will be pretty much set up for life, I can’t think any of our players would turn down a significant pay rise on the basis of the potential of our club. They are making a great living for us, but they would all swap it for a better offer to progress their career.

34 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Interesting perspective but too optimistic I reckon. If say Jamie Patterson was attracting bids from Leeds Sunderland or Middlesbrough,  and they were offering 25k per week, if he signs that contract he will be pretty much set up for life, I can’t think any of our players would turn down a significant pay rise on the basis of the potential of our club. They are making a great living for us, but they would all swap it for a better offer to progress their career.

" progress their career " 

Would they progress their career more if they moved up to a Prem team squad with less chance of playing regularly ?

or making names for themselves at an unfashionable club in the West Country ? 

It would be a big gamble for any of our lads to take as regards their ' career ' they could find themselves cast aside very quickly amongst the megastars of the higher echelons.

Their bank balance may look healthier in the short term but that would be a different motivation., not a footballing one .

No.

The whole philosophy is based around players being replaceable, ideally having been sold for a profit.

That's why we've bought so many "for the future", why we have a dozen out on loan, and why at least every other new signing is for the development squad.

Losing a first team player will always be a setback but the club is set up (or at least is trying to be set up) to do that.

Just look at the striker situation: We lost Kodjia, we got Abraham (for a season, but that was enough), we lost Abraham, we got Diedhou. If we lose him we've got either Engvall, waiting his turn, or if he's no good we have a scouting network and management that's done the job of finding a decent striker 3 years running.

Everything was put in place to handle Flint's departure. The fact that he's not gone is a bonus but the club put themselves in a position where they could either have a good player, or around £8m and still have a strong squad.

The club need to be careful and losing a number of players at once would be very harmful but it's much better this way than getting hung up on "our" players, keeping them long past the time they should have been sold, like they used to.

43 minutes ago, simon uk said:

But why sign for a club with a lack of stability (apart from Middlesbrough out of your listed club)?

They can stay here & play for a settled club that are improving everything about itself or they can move for the money available now & end up not getting game time or finding themselves surplus to requirements. Pato himself moved to Huddersfield, hardly played & sat in their under 23’s because a new foreign manager came in & signed numerous German players! As pointed out earlier in the thread, look at Birmingham’s squad now, 14 new players in over the summer, sacked their manager less than 10 games into the season & lost their last game 6-1, is Cotts really going to be happy to work with these players? This on top of the players they signed last season before Redknapp came in, they are possibly looking at 30 players who have been underperforming & now have another manager in! Would it be the kind of move you’d be looking for? Especially when you’re one of the main players at a very settled club?

And let’s not forget, while our players may well be able to earn more elsewhere, they’re hardly on the breadline here, it’s still more than enough to live very comfortably & more than the majority of us could only dream about earning.

How do you think Flint is feeling right now, having been unable to get a move to Birmingham? Relieved is my guess.

I know where I’d be happy to be earning my living right now.

6 minutes ago, simon uk said:

If they sign a 3 year contract on 25k per week somewhere then do you really think players are worried if a club is stable?

Yes when you could get 5+ seasons on around £10k-£15k plus all the loyalty bonuses etc.

Take Pati for example, having played a very small part at Huddersfield & spent the majority of his time in the U23’s, do you think he’d rather do that than play every week?

As I said, even the money our players are on, isn’t peanuts, not everyone is money orientated & they have their heads screwed on a bit more nowadays with regards to business ventures etc.

Yes you do get players that are happy to sign for someone & not care less (Tomlin anyone?) & Just pick up their vast sums of money but most of our players are being given their first taste of security at a football club, look how it turned out for Carey & Murray when they left for a better thing!

17 hours ago, numbeast said:

Whilst reading the tread about Lee Johnson getting poached I started thinking (never a good sign). Now I am a LJ fan but if he were to leave he could be replaced but what happens if we do have a good season, could we keep hold of the likes of Patterson, Bobby Reid, Josh Brownhill etc?

I think the clubs new found philosophy could handle losing the head coach but if we lost the nucleus of the side it would set us back so badly. We have seen improvements in the likes of Patterson and Brownhill and the reinvention of Bobby Reid but other club will be aware of their improvements and will, no doubt come sniffing about if not in January then in the summer.

It was suggested that Aden Flint had his head turn this summer. He remained a true professional and when called upon played with his typical passion. But I do wonder if the likes of Bobby Reid or Joe Bryan would be able to handle the interest as well as Flint did. This isn't knocking them nor would I begrudge them a move to a lower mid table Premier side, but how, even given a good fee, would we replace them?

In the summer windows last year we brought in a crop of young players who, it would seem are progressing together. This summer we got Eliasson and Diedhiou both of whom seem great acquisitions but need time to "bed in" and those young lads we got last year are showing genuine signs of quality. We will only progress if we can keep this squad together and add quality. If we aren't able to retain  them we'll just go around in circles and be little more than a feeder club to the lower prem/parachute payment clubs. So although I don't  want Johnson to go I'd  prefer that to losing our young guns.

It’s a question for the end of the season, not 11 games into a new one!

I think we as fans need look at players as they look at the club. Very little loyalty in general only really interested in the next pay cheque, which ever club that happens to be. As fans we need to understand this and stop getting so precious about player loyalty. In simple terms they are disposable flesh inserts. Next please.

2 hours ago, simon uk said:

If they sign a 3 year contract on 25k per week somewhere then do you really think players are worried if a club is stable?

One would hope most agents would be professional enough not to propose moving their client to another club just for the money if there is a sense of being in financial difficulty.

And let us not forget that City are likely to have a promotion bonus for every player quite possibly rather attractive and sitting comfortably after close to 1/4 of the season will likely play on the mind of a player.

Why worry about it? All we have ever harped on about as a club is why cant we or why isn't the academy producing.. now we suddenly seem to have 3 really good prospects in Bryan Reid and to an extent Kelly.. lets just enjoy the fact we finally seem to be producing some home grown talent instead of a needless moan about what if clubs become sniffing..

it makes you wonder if the OP would rather we were back in league 1 producing F all out the academy, at least we would all be safe in the knowledge that no nasty bigger clubs come sniffing for our players ay? Lets stop the small time Bristol mentality and believe we can get to the Prem with our own home produced players!!!

1 hour ago, Red Rag said:

I think we as fans need look at players as they look at the club. Very little loyalty in general only really interested in the next pay cheque, which ever club that happens to be. As fans we need to understand this and stop getting so precious about player loyalty. In simple terms they are disposable flesh inserts. Next please.

You also need to remember that clubs are only ‘loyal’ to players if they deemed good enough. 

37 minutes ago, bris red said:

Why worry about it? All we have ever harped on about as a club is why cant we or why isn't the academy producing.. now we suddenly seem to have 3 really good prospects in Bryan Reid and to an extent Kelly.. lets just enjoy the fact we finally seem to be producing some home grown talent instead of a needless moan about what if clubs become sniffing..

it makes you wonder if the OP would rather we were back in league 1 producing F all out the academy, at least we would all be safe in the knowledge that no nasty bigger clubs come sniffing for our players ay? Lets stop the small time Bristol mentality and believe we can get to the Prem with our own home produced players!!!

Post of the ******* season. if I could like this a hundred times I would.

22 hours ago, numbeast said:

Whilst reading the tread about Lee Johnson getting poached I started thinking (never a good sign). Now I am a LJ fan but if he were to leave he could be replaced but what happens if we do have a good season, could we keep hold of the likes of Patterson, Bobby Reid, Josh Brownhill etc?

I think the clubs new found philosophy could handle losing the head coach but if we lost the nucleus of the side it would set us back so badly. We have seen improvements in the likes of Patterson and Brownhill and the reinvention of Bobby Reid but other club will be aware of their improvements and will, no doubt come sniffing about if not in January then in the summer.

It was suggested that Aden Flint had his head turn this summer. He remained a true professional and when called upon played with his typical passion. But I do wonder if the likes of Bobby Reid or Joe Bryan would be able to handle the interest as well as Flint did. This isn't knocking them nor would I begrudge them a move to a lower mid table Premier side, but how, even given a good fee, would we replace them?

In the summer windows last year we brought in a crop of young players who, it would seem are progressing together. This summer we got Eliasson and Diedhiou both of whom seem great acquisitions but need time to "bed in" and those young lads we got last year are showing genuine signs of quality. We will only progress if we can keep this squad together and add quality. If we aren't able to retain  them we'll just go around in circles and be little more than a feeder club to the lower prem/parachute payment clubs. So although I don't  want Johnson to go I'd  prefer that to losing our young guns.

Let's just enjoy the moment.

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

The January transfer window could be very interesting.....not sure why you think none of the players are potentially going anywhere?!

Because we didn't sell anyone that WE didn't want too, during the summer..?!

Players may leave, but only if we are happy with the deal. 

Archived